News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New Phish Podcast Alert - Long May They Run

Started by PIE-GUY, September 16, 2019, 09:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Launches on Wednesday and looks like it's gonna be really good. Dean Budnick is truly a Phish scholar and his source material and list of interviewees is stellar. I can't wait to dig in!! Kinda bummed he didn't bring this out on Osiris, but hey!

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/long-may-they-run-podcast-phish-history-1203336394/

'Long May They Run' Podcast Explores Phish History for Debut Season (EXCLUSIVE)

The band Phish will be the subject of a new podcast series. "Long May They Run" will feature the group for the series' first season. Created, directed and produced by C13Originals, veteran music journalist and author Dean Budnick serves as writer and narrator of the podcast, which will offer a deep dive into the history of Phish as well as its impact on music culture, the industry and beyond.

Budnick conducted more than 75 interviews for the 10-episode "Long May They Run" with band members, former managers, promoter Ron Delsener, photographer Danny Clinch, Bonnaroo and Superfly co-founders Rick Farman and Kerry Black, Phish's "first fan" Amy Skelton, poster artist Jim Pollock, and NBA alum and Phish devotee Bill Walton, among others. The podcast also features archival interviews conducted by Budnick, who serves as editor-in-chief of Relix and co-author of Blues Traveler frontman John Popper's memoir "Suck and Blow: And Other Stories I'm Not Supposed To Tell" and "Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped."

Among the industry topics explored in "Long May They Run" is how Phish pioneered the self-produced multi-day music events that spawned festivals like Bonnaroo, direct-to-fan ticketing and engagement and ahead-of-their-time initiatives like the LivePhish app, instant show-downloads and pay-per-view offerings. Also covered is the secret language of Phish's live shows which trigger audience participation according to musical cues.

"Long May They Run, Season One: Phish" will launch with two episodes on Sept. 18 on Apple Podcasts, RADIO.COM, Spotify and everywhere podcasts are available. New episodes will drop every Wednesday throughout the season.

"I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to share these stories in this format," said Budnick. "Phish is such an innovative band and many of the group's pioneering endeavors have been overlooked or nearly lost to history. It's been a pleasure to work with the team at C13Originals to bring their far-reaching legacy to light."

Added Chris Corcoran, chief content officer at Cadence13: "Our vision was to create and give music fans a franchise set apart from anything that's been done in podcasting. We believe that 'Long May They Run' accomplishes just that, and will provide an experience that takes Phish fans, and music fans in general, to the next level, and redefine what can be done in this space. Dean is an astute and compelling storyteller and interviewer, and few bands have the musical and cultural impact of Phish, which made them the perfect choice for Season One."

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Obviously we would have liked to have that show but... we've got things cookin'.

I'm looking forward to hearing this.

Caravan2001

PIE-GUY

First two episodes are up! I'm 20 minutes into the first and it's already amazing!

mopper_smurf

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 18, 2019, 09:07:27 AM
First two episodes are up! I'm 20 minutes into the first and it's already amazing!

Just finished the first one. Nice. Those ads are fucking annoying though.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

how the hell do you download a podcast to mp3 format?  seriously...please help.

why does this have to be so difficult?  don't they want me to listen to their show?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: anthrax on September 21, 2019, 09:32:58 AM

why does this have to be so difficult?  don't they want me to listen to their show?

What kind of device are you trying to use? Does it not have a podcast app?

anthrax

Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 21, 2019, 10:11:37 AM

ideally would like to download it as an mp3 to my desktop computer and listen through sonos in my house.  i just expected there to be a download button somewhere, but i don't see that.  maybe that's not a thing for podcasts.  i can listen via my desktop computer but then i have to hang close to the office.

natronzero

Quote from: anthrax on September 21, 2019, 10:22:49 AM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on September 21, 2019, 10:11:37 AM

ideally would like to download it as an mp3 to my desktop computer and listen through sonos in my house.  i just expected there to be a download button somewhere, but i don't see that.  maybe that's not a thing for podcasts.  i can listen via my desktop computer but then i have to hang close to the office.

You should be able to go into Sonos on your desktop computer and find an app for iTunes, or Player FM, or TuneIn, or something that'll let you stream thru your Sonos.
If nothing else works, iTunes has a download option on each episode/track.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

anthrax

so, i couldn't figure out how to get it to sonos.  even spotify doesn't let you add it to your list.  but i did listen to the first 2 episodes in the office and those are damn good episodes!

cleech74

Just stumbled across this today. Can't wait to check it out.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Caravan2001

anthrax

as someone who used to book shows for bands, i found this episode to be absolutely perfect. 

also, it's crazy how many early phish fans have become heavies in the music biz!

cleech74

Thoroughly enjoyed this series, and the little nuggets of lore that are contained in these podcasts. Currently listening to ep10, and surprisingly, no mention of the 'Paug when the online community is discussed. I suppose that's a good thing, though. :wtu: :tte: :sbw:
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon