News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Rd 1 - Ghost - (2) 07-23-97 vs. (3) 07-02-98

Started by runawayjimbo, July 15, 2012, 11:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Round #1 - Ghost Bracket

(2) 07-23-1997 - Lakewood Amphitheatre - Atlanta, GA

vs.

(3) 07-02-1998 - The Grey Hall, Freetown Christiana - Copenhagen, DEN

POLL CLOSE: Tuesday, 7/24, 10pm EST
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

susep

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

nope

I've always thought the 7/2/98 version is overrated  :evil:
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

JPhishman

This is gonna be a tough one.

And damn I love the Prague version. That it didn't even make the bracket tells me this tourney brings the h33t!
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

runawayjimbo

Quote from: JPhishman on July 16, 2012, 10:27:42 PM
This is gonna be a tough one.

And damn I love the Prague version. That it didn't even make the bracket tells me this tourney brings the h33t!

Prague was on the bubble but a couple late picks knocked it out. And yes, I haven't made up my minde on this one either.

whatapiper

Not an easy choice but I'm going with my second live Ghost attended, 7/23. 
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

Wow I can't believe this one is so lopsided.

Atlanta is indeed a hot funk jam, but it's pretty one dimensional in comparison with the multifaceted gem that is the Grey Hall version. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

I like that the Grey Hall version pushes harder, faster and earlier, thus bringing more energy off the bat, but the last 2:30, though a nice attempt, doesn't do much for me executionally. The Lakewood version is more consistent, and all the sections it passes through are all well done. Lakewood it is.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

This was kind of an easy pick for me. I love the Lakewood version for the nice patient funky build up and then the way they slow it down at the end (which is the defining part of the jam to me). But the Grey Hall version is just on a different level. It rages along similarly for the first 12ish mins but then they find that wide open funky nastiness which is just so money it doesn't even know it. That whole segment, which culminates in the alternating dark/uplifting jam and the ambience at the end, make it much more creative and unique (and thus more interesting) to me.

Grey Hall

mistercharlie

I ended up going with Grey Hall. The jam is just so damned funky.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

susep

another huge upset ala the Bangor Tweezer losing to New Haven.  Atlanta sounds like circus funk compared to the improv at Grey Hall.   

runawayjimbo

Quote from: susep on July 23, 2012, 09:21:10 PM
another huge upset ala the Bangor Tweezer losing to New Haven.  Atlanta sounds like circus funk compared to the improv at Grey Hall.   

I'm leaving this open for now as Grey Hall is still within striking distance. Just look at what happened in the UCF v Amsterdam Stash matchup in a couple of days.

And I'll repeat (for anyone who picked Atlanta :wink:), there is still time to change your vote.

mehead

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 23, 2012, 09:25:07 PM
Quote from: susep on July 23, 2012, 09:21:10 PM

I'm leaving this open for now as Grey Hall is still within striking distance. Just look at what happened in the UCF v Amsterdam Stash matchup in a couple of days.

And I'll repeat (for anyone who picked Copenhagen :wink:), there is still time to change your vote.

fyp
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged