News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Ghosts of the Forest Spring 2019 Tour

Started by pcr3, December 11, 2018, 02:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

that's awesome that someone tracked that out. 

fucking nerds.

this definitely should be experienced live if possible - very heavy stuff overall, but the whole production is just incredible.  a lot of thought and heart were put into this, and it shows.  sappy Trey will be sappy, but is still Trey.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: tet on April 16, 2019, 11:26:22 PM
sappy Trey will be sappy, but is still Trey.

Right? I love this man.

Gave my first critical listen of the material today and enjoyed it for the most part. Cringed a few times.... but... nothing more than usual. Love/Light/Ocean'd. Also...I hate to be a stickler here.... but isn't "Stumble Into Light" just maayyybbee a liiittllleee too close to "Pigtail" .... just maybe? hmmmm.... the "micro-jam" was pretty slick though....

But really... overall... Some good stuff... some.... 'same-ol-same-ol' stuff...... Lots to digest. As a songwriter myself, it's just mindblowing to me the amount of material Trey puts out.  The guy is a creative machine.

I wonder what will get brought to Phish...
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 16, 2019, 11:58:21 PM
Quote from: tet on April 16, 2019, 11:26:22 PM
sappy Trey will be sappy, but is still Trey.

Right? I love this man.

Gave my first critical listen of the material today and enjoyed it for the most part. Cringed a few times.... but... nothing more than usual. Love/Light/Ocean'd. Also...I hate to be a stickler here.... but isn't "Stumble Into Light" just maayyybbee a liiittllleee too close to "Pigtail" .... just maybe? hmmmm.... the "micro-jam" was pretty slick though....

But really... overall... Some good stuff... some.... 'same-ol-same-ol' stuff...... Lots to digest. As a songwriter myself, it's just mindblowing to me the amount of material Trey puts out.  The guy is a creative machine.

I wonder what will get brought to Phish...

I believe they are saying "stumble into Flight", but I see what you mean.

I'd like to see Phish tackle The Green Truth, About To Run and/or Halfway Home. Imagine the amazing 25 or 6 to 4 jam that could come out of a mid-second set Halfway Home!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

yes indeed.  stumble into flight is very pigtailish, but that's ok because it's bouncy and happy and doesn't have the word pigtail in it.  ruby waves would transfer over to the ph catalog nicely too.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: anthrax on April 17, 2019, 07:14:19 AM
yes indeed.  stumble into flight is very pigtailish, but that's ok because it's bouncy and happy and doesn't have the word pigtail in it.

This is true. I wouldn't be upset if it replaced Pigtail's rare appearance. The jam was pretty sick.
Bring in the dude!

nab

I sunk deep into the first three shows of this tour.  I didn't think there was much more to hear after that.  Same show.  Same setlist.  Didn't think there was any meaningful difference between the shows.  Really like the material, but It seemed to be the same from show to show. 

Thank God my OCD kicked in. 

The 4-13 show kicks all the asses on this tour from my seat.  This applies:

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 14, 2019, 01:23:01 PM
It's gotten SO much better.  It's like they've gotten tighter and looser at the same time  :beers:

Pumped to see them on Saturday/

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

It's nice, but it looks more like a SCI poster, what with the jellyfish and all.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2019, 08:10:16 PM
It's nice, but it looks more like a SCI poster, what with the jellyfish and all.

I'm blissfully unaware of jellyfish being a SCI thing.

Personally I think it's the best of the tour, although I did like the Portland poster quite a bit too.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 19, 2019, 08:10:16 PM

I concur.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

cactusfan

Saw the Berkeley show.
On the whole, liked it a lot.
Many excellent musical passages in there, along with some pretty insufferable Trey lyrics. I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes it sounds like he's writing these things by assembling life affirmations he found on greeting cards. Though the fact that he's so sincere and adorable helps to make up for that.
So anyway, as for the show overall, I was into it.
And those times when the music and lyrics were overly Trey cheesy, I could always focus in on Fishman, who killed it from start to finish.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: cactusfan on April 22, 2019, 12:05:12 AM
Saw the Berkeley show.
Many excellent musical passages in there, along with some pretty insufferable Trey lyrics. I appreciate the sentiment, but sometimes it sounds like he's writing these things by assembling life affirmations he found on greeting cards. Though the fact that he's so sincere and adorable helps to make up for that.
And those times when the music and lyrics were overly Trey cheesy, I could always focus in on Fishman, who killed it from start to finish.

It's hard to complain. In the last few years trey has given us everything we could want from his songwriting both alone and with his various partners. I mean, in the last five years we've been blessed with two Halloween's worth of non-sensical, funny, quirky, phish on par (at least lyrically) with Junta-era classics like David Bowie, YEM, or Dinner and a Movie. We've got thinkers and epic works like Mercury and Petrichor. We've got some cheesy schmaltz like GotF... but it's really hard to complain.

The man is on fire lately. Taken with that wide angle view GotF is an incredible accomplishment in the midst of everything else that seems to hold treys attention these days.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Caravan2001

Saw the Berkeley show.

I came here to post the EXACT same thing.  Get out of my head dude!  :lol:

But, seriously, great show and Fish rocked it.  Had an amazing time.  Will be interesting to see of this lineup hits the road or records again.  I doubt it personally, but maybe.

cactusfan

Quote from: Caravan2001 on April 22, 2019, 11:22:12 AM
Saw the Berkeley show.

I came here to post the EXACT same thing.  Get out of my head dude!  :lol:

But, seriously, great show and Fish rocked it.  Had an amazing time.  Will be interesting to see of this lineup hits the road or records again.  I doubt it personally, but maybe.

Someone was passing out stickers that said something like: Jon Fishman's Almost TAB

I kinda doubt this will be another tour, felt like a one time thing. Though some of those songs will surely turn up in both Trey and Phish shows.