News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W05: 07-25-1999 Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Started by jedifunk, June 12, 2006, 09:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flow00

If I remember correctly, this was the first night of on-site camping?? Or maybe that was 98. Can't remember, but this show brings back some wicked memories. It involved licking a puddle of liquid from a stranger's hand and feeling completely spun by the time Mike started belching out Meat. The rest was a mind-blowing blur. I didn't quite wake up until Fishman started singing Purple Rain. Summer 99 really showcased a whole different sound, and this one is no exception. But anyway, more later when I listen to the show again. Nice pick, jedifunk.

cleech74

I had a BBQ/house party a few weeks after this show.  A girlfriend of a friend shows up with this show.  I was floored.  It is still one of my favs. Good pick!  :-D :phish:

They are so on during Whipping Post, that it's not even funny.  :-)
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

VA $l!m

Quote from: flow00 on June 12, 2006, 07:47:06 PM
If I remember correctly, this was the first night of on-site camping?? Or maybe that was 98. Can't remember, but this show brings back some wicked memories. It involved licking a puddle of liquid from a stranger's hand and feeling completely spun by the time Mike started belching out Meat. The rest was a mind-blowing blur. I didn't quite wake up until Fishman started singing Purple Rain. Summer 99 really showcased a whole different sound, and this one is no exception. But anyway, more later when I listen to the show again. Nice pick, jedifunk.

on site camping?
do you mean literally in the lot?-- or the satelite campgrounds?
never knew the allowed actually camping in the lot... up to 98 at least, it was still a red and blue flashing lights--get the hell outta the lot fest.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

August

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

xanadux3

if i'm not mistaken during purple rain fishman forgets the words but says its okay because he just wanted an excuse to play his vaccum

I did on site camping summer 03 and 04 but in 2000 I camped a little spot called Dead Creek. I was an awesome little camp site and one of the nights umphreys Mcgee played it was a rockin time...only prob was it was a long walk to the lot
and shocked and persuaded my soul to ignite

flow00

It wasn't actually "on-site," but it was an "official" site in an open field near corn fields (like the rest of Noblesville). Tons of camping space, and a brief walk to the lots. Those were the days. In past year you had to stay at a random campsite that sometimes required a bug-eyed walk along the road for a while.  The official site was cool because it was large and free of police and whatnot.

susep

(partial review)

An early My Friend>I like this tune in that the beginning/intro chord series sounds optimistic, friendly.  But he's got a knive so the mood gets darker>
My Left Toe>comes careening in, Mike pulsing.  Jam sounds very full, collective right away.  Trey is playing w/ his signature "ambient sonic" style that defined Summer '99.  Jam is swinging>out of the Summer '99 MLT's this one's tempo is faster, giving these guys a chance to experiment more w/the songs structure.  Around 6:30 the jam  transcends>Trey chording in A(the key of MLT, setting up the> into
Post>I heard back in the day Fish sang lead>HYHU.  Trey sounding inspired vocally.  Nice Page first solo>B3 action>Trey chordig nicely adding sonic tones>Trey, Mike and Page solo together after verse>the debate on the other thread about Trey playing outside the box is best exemplified here>although the signals are blues Trey morphs.  Strong finish.
Boogie On>near 6:15 Fish's riff turns the jam away from standard Boogie>the jam grows differently each cycle but the Boogie ID remains>Trey flourishes near the end.
BOAF>jam is h/e exp right out of the gate>I love how they effortlessly mutate in and out of tonalities>7:25 MLT tease by Mike>Mike is playing a tasty bassline>great playing by all>another in/out of Birds mutation, its as if what Phish learned w/ Stash's tension/release cycles applied to other, fast open ended(potentially unfinished) jam tunes(remember the Timber from 9Dec.97?, same thing).  Jam settles a bit and ambient sonic Trey returns>personally I love this sound.  Another cool mini-jam evolves before Trey takes the reins before the>
Suzy>I've always liked this Suzy in that its intense but in a laid back kind of way>Page on the ivories, Mike funking it up, Trey playing simple rythym(over a loop) and Fish utilizing a lot of cymbal, always a +.  Brief stop before lyrics.
LC>great way to end an epic outing :beers:

Conclussion:  Great show.  The opening Friend>MLT>Post was well played and sustained the energy of the entire show.  The jam around 6:30 of Toe led the way.  Many good shows on this tour again the improv at this show a summation.  Good pick Funk :-D

Grade: A- 

Alumni

It may not be under the radar - I know I've heard *about* the show. But until now, I've never listened to it. So instead of reviewing based on memory (and one more listen), I'll ignore the setlist, put the files in order, let 'em play, and just jot down some thoughts as they come.

Set I:
MEAT - I dunno. I kind of think this works better live than, say, blasting in the car. But if you're going to get it, it might as well be as an opener, followed immediately afterwards by something, well, 'meatier'.

MFMF - And there it is: nice! Right away, this sounds crisp. This is gonna be an enjoyable set / show to hear :)
Opening well played . . . transition's a bit clunky, but no biggie. Nice crescendo. What is that effect called -- the one that's a little like a 737 revving its engines before takeoff? I like :) A little bit of ambient noodling coming out of MFMF. Hmmm. Seems a bit early for this. Wonder what's up?

> MLT - D'oh! That's what it is. I need to listen to recent-ish shows more often. Seems nice enough, if unremarkable. 6:45 mark, and now it's getting a little more assertive

> WHIPPING POST - NICE! Oh lord I feel like this set's getting interesting . . . This is really good. Phish's best cover of it? I never caught this song, I couldn't say. Trey is ON right now. Wow. That was a show-closing version right there, only halfway into the first set.

MAKISUPA - I Needed something lighter right now; perfect placement for me. Trey empties his drawer of keywords - heheh. Cool birthday bit for CK. They're clearly havin' a good time out there. A fun version, though maybe not as musically interesting as some . . .

ISIA - Oof! Like a sharp kick to the gut, just as the set was seeming too good to be true. Normally, I'd be all over the FF button. Maybe this one's special. I let it keep going. Nope. Back on the positive side, this seemed shorter than usual.

BOOGIE - Here's where my tastes diverge from others. I'm not usually excited to hear this one. But this is a fine version. Much better than average, imo. Mike's doing a fine job carrying this along. Around 7:45, it starts picking up. 9:00, I have to admit, this is really growing on me. But it doesn't last long. Back into the main theme at 10:15, and fade away soon after. I'm sure I'll listen to this one again.

CAVERN - I guess it *is* that time. Extra verse? Not tonight.     

Overall impressions, half an hour in, I thought this was headed to the stratosphere. Although it didn't sustain - for me - this has to be one of the better first sets I've heard lately. And a nice recording taboot.

Set II later . . .
Cause I got a degree

Alumni

Set II:
BOAF - Trey repeating this really catchy hook at around 10:30. Quiets down a bit, and around 12:00 I swear I hear Trey briefly quoting from the 11.29.98 Simple jam (which sticks out, 'cause I really enjoyed it). 15:30, kind of trippy. 19:15, Something concrete is starting to materialize, and it's

WALK AWAY - Cool. Always nice to hear this one. I was slow to warm to BOAF, and I've never completely warmed to it. But that might be because I wasn't introduced to it by versions like the one a few minutes ago. Walk Away is fun, if a little sloppy. Wondering if there'll be a segue out of it . . . not really, but out of the 'noise' at the end, I can almost recognize a couple notes by Trey. Roses? No, it's

ANTELOPE - Woohoo! I'm really glad right now that I didn't cheat and look at the setlist in advance. That was a nice surprise. Sometimes I have a hard time getting into Antelopes if the recording is below par, but that's definitely no problem here. I'm enjoying Trey's patience developing this one. I'm sure it will rage, but they're not rushing it. 7:20, here we go. I've minimized my MSword window, and its all Phish. Productivity can wait :) Around 9:00, the Pre-marco groove sets in nicely. I'm starting to wonder if this is a record-long pre-Marco groove - Except that it isn't. Another gear explodes around 12:15. Pre-Marco (for real?) at 13:30. Yes, it is. Wow. I've head some butchered Antelopes in my later shows, but this ain't one of them. Very nice :)

SUZY - Yes, keep that energy up! Is it me, or does everyone seem half a step slow on this Suzy? 1:30, Page's 1st solo, and no piano. Sounds like they're going to stretch this one . . . 3:15, and now with the loop, there's no doubt about it. 5:00ish, very mellow and jazzy stuff from Page. My favorite "new" Suzy might still be Darien, 2000, but this is really good stuff.

PURPLE RAIN - So bad, it's great. Just listen to it :)

YEM - Purple rain was cute, but it's definitely time for something "real" again. YEM works. This one goes straight from normal tramps jam to bass outro jam (which, don't get me wrong, is simply great). 13:30, and I'm starting to collect my thoughts to say something, when the vocal jam starts(!) I'd give it an incomplete, but it wasn't unfinished. I dunno what to think about this. It was great while it lasted, but *really* short. Barely a vocal jam, and no Trey :( Long delay afterwards . . . must be encore break

LOVING CUP - Nice choice. Would have been a shame to see the set fizzle out with an a capella song or a bouncin'. LC falters a little bit early on, but is absolutely *triumphant* by 4:30. 

Overall impressions: Excellent 2nd set, and a very nice show. Kind of left me cold at a couple times, though I'm sure the YEM won't hit me as hard next time, when I know what's coming (and what isn't). Glad to add it to the collection - thanks, Jedi  :beers:
Cause I got a degree

VA $l!m

Quote from: august on June 12, 2006, 08:40:47 PM
i camped int he official DC lot in 98.
a

OK mFERS
"oFFICIAL" WHAT THE F YOU WANT TO CALL IT...
not like you parked in the main lot and set up shop over night, right?
no way... i got ran out of the lot by cops both nights.

BTW. i lost the ZIP file i DLed of this show, damnit.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: VA slim on June 13, 2006, 05:49:28 PM
Quote from: august on June 12, 2006, 08:40:47 PM
i camped int he official DC lot in 98.
a

OK mFERS
"oFFICIAL" WHAT THE F YOU WANT TO CALL IT...
not like you parked in the main lot and set up shop over night, right?
no way... i got ran out of the lot by cops both nights.

BTW. i lost the ZIP file i DLed of this show, damnit.

Yes, but onsite camping is connected to the Venue by walking.    It was LITERALLY "ONSITE".  It was not "PARKING LOT" camping.  It was referred to by Deer Creek as "onsite camping".  And at 15 dollars for three nights in 2000, I LOVED the onsite campground. (The police presence their was pretty shitty).  Any time you are encouraged to shower with random females is alright by me!

jedifunk

faux, your down to 17 karma now!  your going the wrong way, this isnt golf ;)
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: jedifunk on June 13, 2006, 09:07:41 PM
faux, your down to 17 karma now!  your going the wrong way, this isnt golf ;)

It's not my fault if people are jealous that I got a random naked girl to sponge my back the morning of 7-11!

sls.stormyrider

Watching the hockey game, polishing up the 2nd set. Great show :-)
Meat-decent start, fun song
MFMF - nice, great transition
MLT - 1st time I heard this - dug it
Whipping Post - another great transition. great jam - they clearly stuck to their own style and didn't try to be ABB, which made it work. IMO Trey's vocals were lacking, didn't have the grit that Gregg A has.
MP - good one
Happy BD -how many bands would have done this for their sound director? How many bands would have phans who know who the sound guy is?
ISIA - not bad
Boogie on - strong as usual. Cactus!
Cavern - ready for set 2

Set 2
BOAF - awesome! trippy, exploratory jams. top version
Walk Away -every segue here has been smooth. I like this a lot better than the 93-4 versions that sounded a bit more contrived/abupt
Antelope - another top version. Lots of gear shifts in the middle section
Suzie - PAGE, great solo, nice Stevie quote (sir duke). Take that, page haters
HYHU, Purple rain - Does the Fishman tune make a great show or ruin the flow :| I'd go with this one. It's not a cliche like the earlier years, and then Fish pours his heart out  :-P
YEM-some Trey flubs in the beginning, nice nirvanah section, but i agree the jam is too short. gotta love Mike. With all the great versions of other tunes here, this is a surprise that it's just OK
Loving cup - nice way to end it.

Overall, great show. Thanks Jedi!
A
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."