News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R8/W5 1994-6-30 Classic Ampitheater, Richmond VA

Started by pnchundi, September 27, 2009, 10:16:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poster Nutbag

06-30-94 Classic Amphitheater, Richmond, VA

Set 1:

Down With Disease, - Great version & great opener... Trey just lights this one up!! Very sweet...

Gumbo, - A nice funky number!! Fo Sho!! Trey lays down a good solo... decent version...

Rift, - The band is on a tear... just hammer their way through this...

Guelah Papyrus, - This shit is tracked oddly. Solid mid-section... I hope they bring it back at Fest. 8

Split Open and Melt, - Man they're tight and the jam is off the hook... big intense highlight!!!

Glide, - Loved it!! Fun... Fun...

Scent of a Mule, - its starting to get stubborn...

Bouncing Around the Room, - I would have bounced to the bathroom...

Frankenstein – nice set closer... It rocked...
Control for smilers can't be bought...

"Your answer is silly. What'd do you want the song to do? End world hunger?
It's a fucking Phish song, some of them are very complex compositions, some are not.

This one with its complex vocal arrangement falls right in between.
But that and a hook aren't enough so I'll let Trey know his songs have to start giving out handys." RJ

mbw

R8/W5 1994-6-30 Classic Ampitheater, Richmond VA

I
dwd - mike sets the pace right off the bat, and its fast!  they go off on this one.
trey see's mikes pace and raises him one with some of his fastest playing around.  great way to start the show!

gumbo - can't go wrong.  fans clapping along to pages bouncy solo.

rift - lots of rifts this round.  do like.  keeps up the speedy start to the show.

guelah - nice to hear it and played well.

soam - loving this set so far.  cool arena rockish jam in this one.  some false endings with trey doing some weird chant.  key changes abound on the ending as shit gets deep.  great stuff.

glide - yes please

soaMule - again?  it ripped though for sure.

bouncin - sabotage

frankenstein - totally rockin.  got me real psyched for 8

II
wilson  - cool pre-chant.  makes it more tense in a way.  def rocked.

maze - we have heard some great mazes this round and this one delivers as well.

yem>yerushalayim>yem - totally cool yerush thrown in here. beautiful harmonies.  some hard hitting coming from mike and fish before BMGShiiiiiiit.  they just float around here until mike drops a sick bass jam out of nowhere that everyone has no choice but to follow.  very unique yem.  the vocal jam goes nowhere until trey drops the 'redrums,' which is awesome.  and continue into...

sparkle - this one starts real soft, with trey being much more "singy" then usual.  the volume just increases in this hot sparkle.

axiIIa - throw away

harpua - this is why we love this song.  epic city.

antelope - and the hits just keep coming.  holy hell they are blazing here.  mike keeps adding some real odd, fun notes as he has most of the show.

love you - that was one looooong vaccum note!

chalkdust - end it like they started, fast and shreddy

E
monkey - fish gets to shine some more.

poor heart - really?  kinda shaky actually for a poor heart but a rare way to end the night.
----------

super solid show with TONS of big hitters.  a real fun listen.  thanks!
A+

blatboom

turns out I've had this show on audio disc all along (and I know I have Riverport too) so here goes [from memory].  whatever recording I have sounds incredible.

Set I:

DWD - tight and fun.  love the short jam and the "whoaa ooaa"s at the end are cool

Gumbo - another fun number but I'm not a fan of Old School Gumbos

Rift - pumping and tight

Guelah - another energetic number but not much jamming so far but it's all good

Split - here we go!  the jam starts off kinda disjointed but pulls together nicely and the crazy finish to this one is off the chain.  intense Split and my first set highlight

Glide - I'm so-so about this tune but it's played well like everything else.

Scent - enough already.

Bouncing - interesting placement

Frankenstein - kick ass first set closer

nothing too crazy here besides the Split which was very crazy.  solid stuff in my hometown.  I should have been there but I was probably home watching Rap City on BET...

Set II:

Wilson - I don't know if this is one of those deals where the quality of the recording is clouding my judgement, but this felt like one of the rockingest Wilsons I've ever heard!  pre-chant

Maze - keeping the energy up, very well played.

YEM>Yerushalayim>YEM - I love Phish's performances of Yerushalayim and it's extra sweet sandwiched in this YEM.  The rest is on point with some killer piano from Page.  Fishman screaming red rum at the end and also in >

Sparkle - one of my least favorite songs and especially in this spot

Harpua>Kung>Harpua>Honky Tonk Woman>Harpua - crowd goes wild.  spoken Kung takes us to Gamehendge.  love the kareoke bit.  vocal flub on the last Harpua verse..

Antelope - all sorts of Harpua teasing in the intro.. this one is sort of too wild at first but somewhere in there everything comes together and from that point on it kills

HYHU>Love You>HYHU - why not throw in a Fishman tune I guess.. funny banter from Fish.  he mentions a radio interview that I would love to hear but I don't guess it circulates..

Chalk Dust - short ripping closer

E:

Sleeping Monkey - eh

>Poor Heart - double eh.  but it's a fun encore to a fun show.

nothing really jumped out at me musically listening to this show, but the energy and fun-factor are through the roof and just super-solid playing.  B+

blatboom

Quote from: G. Augusto on September 30, 2009, 04:43:43 PM
Wilson - Pre-chant. Long intro and middle section as to coerce the few trying to start the chant.

that's so funny because I was wondering why they were doing that and I wasn't sure if my ears were playing tricks on me but I thought I could hear like 7 people trying the chant.