News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-10-31 - MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - Post Show Disscussion

Started by mistercharlie, November 01, 2018, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 06, 2018, 10:32:33 AM
i only heard a few tracks. hoping video boots of the whole set show up on youtube. only one ive seen so far was for the 1st song i already heard.
But one thing i love is the Fishman vocals...and lyrics.
Does anyone know who wrote the lyrics? It might sound silly but i think theyre the best new lyrics since 2.0.

All I know is that Tom didn't write them.

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 03, 2018, 10:09:32 PM

VA $l!m

ooo found another one. thats 4 i think ive  heard now. Fuckin Page's keys off the chain in all these too.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

kellerb

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

susep

Finally got a chance to sit down for a proper listen:

II

Turtle in the Clouds - synthy, ambient opening, always a great sign, prominent Fish ride early on, industrial scape, R2 units, nice Page, trippy low moans underneath, spooky, into...
interesting 50s style group harmony, solid Mike transition lines, Page mixing it up beautifully, Fish vocal at 4:12, Talking Heads vibe, Swedish tribal chants/vocals, Page funk, Trey drops into a sweet line, Page again mixing it up nicely. 

Stray Dog - garage band tone by Trey quicky evaporates into a pleasant tune, uplifting key w/ a Kill Devil Falls vibe, a Little Feat tribute perhaps?  Mike key switch at 3:00 matching Trey's creative stream, chordal intro reprise.  Fun.

Everything is Hollow - heavier riff, more great vocal harmonies, Lay it down, bright white light shining right between my eyes, nice little groove, very Phishy chordal outro, main riff reprise, UK Phish. 

We Are Come To Outlive Our Brains - the shapes are hanging over me, psychedelic sheninghans, humor, absurdness, 9 cubes..., I'm a glue in your magnet.  The whole band sounding great, inspired in Trey's outro solo, Fish feeling it vocally, Trey plays a First Tube esque line beginning at 4:33, more funky Trey in the outro, we will come to out live our brains. 

Say It To Me SANTOS - loving their attempts and completion of the new, Page funking along nicely keeping it interesting underneath, soundtrack Phish, cool outro Page w/ Trey soloing like a mad man, Stones esque, trilly Trey, channelling Jimi, Page rage on the organ, Trey soling valiantly, NASA tribute band. 

The Final Hurrah - nice Fish drum open, cool ascending motif, solid Mike as usual, trippy change, nice keys by Page, first major sample ala Thrilling, sample jam, hip-hop Phish, more funk Page supporting Trey, sample returns, Trey mixing it up nicely, interesting lines by Trey 4:47+, Trey really feeling it, face plant into rock, "you can recycle, the final hurrah...", metal esque Fish/Trey vocal/solo outro, heavy metal esque Trey, yowza! 

Play By Play - NICU/Meat hybrid, perception is spoon fed, I open up my mouth, ascending into horizontal lines, industrial outro jam, Mike laying it down, trippy jam ensues, this is one jam style we heard a lot of on this Tour, "freezes time..."  yet another experimental song from this set.  solid tune + jam.  crowd agrees...

Don't Hurt Very Long - death don't hurt very long, nice melodic solo by Trey, 46 Days esque chunk in this one, spooky tune for the weeners!  Nice, thick tone by Trey, ditto for Mike, Mike bending notes on his new bass, busy Fish underneath, an active Fishman is always good.  Very much like a modern Twist jam, patient type 1 group support.  Trey looking to ascend off Page's keys, Mike throbs back in, Page back on the clav, Jimmy Page Trey.  Trey remembering some of his metal lines from The Final Hurrah, low screams by Trey, more trillage into an out of tune axe.   

Cool Amber And Mercury - biographical Vermont in the Fall, inspired Trey vocal, soulful, Trey digging in, oh yeah!  Interesting line bridge, just enough to mix this mostly linear song up.  More Final Hurrah sampling, outro vocal chorus into more Trey leads, cool riff by Trey near 4:50, ZZ Top style, Trey emanating various shades of blue despite a white appearence.  Yet another goody. 

Passing Through - last song of the set!, wayo wayox2, nice lines by Mike, love the vocal mix-up, nice playing after the vocals, Mike taking the melodic reins, Trey growls in, Page on the ivories, steadfast Fish, awesome Mike here, really stands out.  Rock peak Trey to close with a super tight band right along side, triumphant Phish!  wayo, wayo...Hey!

Really enjoyed the set as a whole, Stray Dog, We Are Come To Outlive Our Brains, The Final Hurrah, Play By Play and, Passing Through stand out for me.   

WhatstheUse?

Hey RJ.... you got the inside scoop that none of these new ones are Tom lyrics?

They felt like a group effort to me, especially based on the fact that all 4 of them shared singing.... they DEFINITELY were not Trey-heavy-soul-light related lyrics.... which... was nice.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 06, 2018, 09:15:19 PM

They felt like a group effort to me, especially based on the fact that all 4 of them shared singing.... they DEFINITELY were not Trey-heavy-soul-light related lyrics.... which... was nice.

True dat, definitely felt like Marshall had a hand in this one.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

Did anyone else get dressed up?  I went as Frankenstein.  Not a single person recognized me, even people I have known for 25 years!  Even my mom didn't recognize me on Instagram lol.  I thought for sure they were going to play Frankenstein at some point but oh well.  Zero complaints.

cactusfan

Clearly what helped make the lyrics so great is the conceit behind them, that these are not especially well-translated lyrics from a mysterious mishmash of scandinavian languages. So we end up with all these strangely ungrammatic phrases and odd juxtapositions of ideas and so on. Putting limits like this on one's creativity is a great way to spark something new and interesting.

rowjimmy

Not particularly inside. Tom stated on the Couch Report from Vegas that he was in the dark.

VA $l!m

Quote from: cactusfan on November 07, 2018, 02:30:08 AM

Clearly what helped make the lyrics so great is the conceit behind them, that these are not especially well-translated lyrics from a mysterious mishmash of scandinavian languages. So we end up with all these strangely ungrammatic phrases and odd juxtapositions of ideas and so on. Putting limits like this on one's creativity is a great way to spark something new and interesting.
excellent point. works for all artforms and i think it absolutely workd in this case... Though still some of those lyrics are weird enough to be Toms that if not my money's on Fish having a heavy hand in them.

VA $l!m

Turtles in th eclouds like seriously can get stuck in your head, lol, beware!!  :crazy:

shoreline99

Quote from: VA $l!m on November 07, 2018, 05:08:24 PM
Quote from: cactusfan on November 07, 2018, 02:30:08 AM

excellent point. works for all artforms and i think it absolutely workd in this case... Though still some of those lyrics are weird enough to be Toms that if not my money's on Fish having a heavy hand in them.

Songwriting credit to all four members. No outside input.

https://www.jambase.com/article/phish-members-given-songwriting-credit-for-kasvot-vaxt-halloween-set?fbclid=IwAR0Qsr9ZujrAuXaS-W5y-_-wlFf-oeLBuyAhh7iVSl_HSNmEjoKGhVfTmE8
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sls.stormyrider

So - I was talking with a pt today about getting an implantable defibrillator. They asked if the shock hurt, I said yes, and seemed to be appalled / concerned. So I said, discussing the alternative if they chose not to get the defibrillator, if it's pain you're worried about, then "death don't hurt very long"
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."