News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W09: 07-15-1992 Trax, Charlottseville, VA

Started by pnchundi, April 07, 2008, 08:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnchundi

07-15-92 Trax, Charlottesville, VA

1: Glide, Oh Kee Pa Ceremony, Suzy Greenberg, Foam, My Friend My Friend, Uncle Pen, Split Open and Melt, Silent in the Morning, Chalk Dust Torture, Lizards, Run Like an Antelope

2: The Sloth, The Divided Sky, Esther, My Sweet One, Stash, McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters, All Things Reconsidered, Harry Hood, Golgi Apparatus

E: Possum

Here is my choice, and the main reason is for the incredible Divided Sky.  This was also my first show and a real life changing experience for me.   

A is going to add links soon. (Thanks again a-)

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

pnchundi

thanks a! I am going to do two reviews- one from I was there and the other more technical.  Sorry this is a little long!

My friend and I were in our boarding school's summer program (he was taking an AP course and I was trying to pass chem again) in the summer between our junior and senior year.  A couple of guys that i traded dead shows with gave me a handful of phish tapes and I was hooked.  When I found out that Phish was playing Trax, I immediately began working on my parents (they were teachers at the school) to get permission to go out to the show.  Luckily one of the teachers was also a phishhead and agreed to chaperon us, so everything worked out.  I went into Cville and got tickets for $15 each. 
On the day of the show we all piled into Andrew's ancient Honda and drove into Charlottesville.  Trax is a typical club, with a main room with the stage and the second room with the bar and pool tables.  I think it holds about 500 people and by show time it was packed.  Another friend drove down from Harrisburg and we all hung out before the show started.  We talked with Paul L a little bit, and watched as a few people patched into the soundboard.  I got my first official shirt- Phish Euro Trash 2000 at the merch table.  I still have it but it has seen better days!  Around 11 or so the show began, and we made sure we were in the first row.  The stage is about a foot off the ground, and we were crowded up against the stage literally within arms distance of Trey and Mike.  Trey and Page looked about what you expert, button down shirt for Page and t shirt and jeans for Trey.  Mike had these rolled up jeans and puffy high top sneakers on.  Fish was wearing a pair of tighty-whities! It was so cool just to be there watching them up close, seeing their facial expressions and communication with each other.   When we they started playing my friends and I went nuts and basically bounced up and down and danced for the whole show.   It was really evident that the harder they played, the more we put into it and the more they gave us back.  The audience was just feeding off of them and they were feeding off of us.
They opened with Glide which was new to me and a lot of fun.  Oh Kee Pah flowed into Suzy Greenberg and Trey went nuts.  We fell right into the deep hole of Foam and it was good.  I liked My Friend but it was another new to me song.  Uncle Penn was funny and tight.  Split Open was fantastic and one of the songs I wanted to hear.  Horse/Silent were beautiful and I love Page's playing and singing in Silent.  They rocked into Chalkdust and things did not slow down as they transitioned into Lizards.  They closed the set with a killer Antelope and the placed exploded as Trey screamed "set the gearshift" line.
The crowd was so energized that everyone kept moving around during the break.  My friends and I were drenched in sweat and loving every minute.  We got some water and returned up front.
Sloth opened things up, and was another new to me song, and it was amazing.  I had never heard Divided Sky before that night, and I was blown away.  The balance of the composed sections and the sections were Trey just let loose has kept me going back to shows ever since.  I swear that you can hear me screaming during pause! Esther was beautiful and a chance to calm down.  And is it me or is this song really sad? A young girl who gets taken advantage by a creepy older man only to have her church and town turn against her.    Truly tragic and Page and Trey put that emotion into their playing.  My Sweet One is great another chance for the band to cool down and to pump up the crowd.  Stash followed and it is another one of those life changing experiences.  To watch the band's expressions as they concentrated, just listening to each other, added even more depth to the band.  Mcgrupp was another first and was majestic.  All Things Reconsidered provided a necessary breather and paved the way for Hood.  I still get chills on my neck and arms during the quiet part after Mr Minor is thanked.  Golgi wrapped up everything, really rocking and nicely played.
One of the tapes I had was the Broome County forum show from March 92 so we were familiar with the signals, and when the band came out for the encore, we were treated to the Simpsons tease.  The band looked so happy that Page did the All Fall Down.  Several people jumped back and tried to help me as I collapsed on the ground.  Laughing I got back up to see Fish coming out behind the drums with his vaccum cleaner.  I had heard about this but it was my first time seeing it.  What fun! These guys are nuts! After a couple minutes with Fish, Trey started back into Possum.  Fish waved to us and then went back behind his kit.  Possum was intense and almost all I could handle.  We all stumbled out into the cool Virginia air, our lives changed.  By the time we made it back to campus it was almost 3am and for me, it was over. I was a Phish fan!

antelope19

Saw many a show at Trax in Charlottesville.  Man I miss that place!  It was always so damn hot in there though.   :-D
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

G. Augusto

Hmmm...
It's hard to write a song-by-song review for this one.

The band was TIGHT and everything was played near flawlessly.
Crowd seemed pretty pumped.
Basically, a standard setlist for '92 (rockin') with extra meaty versions of Split Open, Sky and Possum.
I give this one a solid B+, though.
a

susep

ok bros lets pick it up here, lets not see the show-club sink again?  review to arrive this weekend...

Caravan2001

listening now...review to follow.....new show by me tomorrow night....

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

bluecaravan521

Currently downloading...forgot to get it this time around.  Review up by end of tomorrow.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

disco

ikki, when did you start a band???    :lol:

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

www.week4paug.net

Sharin' our groove with you

..><((((º>·´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>·.¸´¯`·.¸¸..><((((º>.¸¸..

Hicks

Quote from: disco on April 14, 2008, 09:54:06 PM
ikki, when did you start a band???    :lol:

Midget puhleeze, I've been steady rockin' for years son!
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Caravan2001

1st set:

All played really well, as was the standard for '92.  They basically almost never fucked up back then, and I think they were getting for the Santana tour.  Too bad that was kind of a dud, so these VA shows were just about all we had this summer (besides the Coach House.). Glide is good as an opener (get it out of the way IMO) into a nicely done Paw. Suzy, Foam and  MFMF are standard summer '92 fare (read: very solid). The melt rips and has some great hard picking from Trey.  I love the sound quality of this seed. Lizards- ok....Antelope:  extra dope.  This is a great high energy version and the band is really gelling.  I like the '92 sounds, it's pretty streamlined and crisp compared to where their sound started going. 

2nd set review to come.....