News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

05/28 - Bethel Center for the Arts - Bethel NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mbw, May 28, 2011, 11:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 03:02:11 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 31, 2011, 02:47:34 PM
I'm surprised (sort of) to hear the sound inside sucked.  I thought the first two soundboards were two of the best sounding Phish soundboards EVER.  I was wondering how that compared to the actual sound inside.

I really don't think it's that bad. Everything is crystal clear... it's just not particularly warm and it gets pretty harsh if you are too close.

Is it still "too loud"?  I think 3.0 shows are way too loud for some reason (maybe it's my age).

PIE-GUY

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 31, 2011, 03:03:44 PM
I'm surprised (sort of) to hear the sound inside sucked.  I thought the first two soundboards were two of the best sounding Phish soundboards EVER.  I was wondering how that compared to the actual sound inside.

I really don't think it's that bad. Everything is crystal clear... it's just not particularly warm and it gets pretty harsh if you are too close.

Is it still "too loud"?  I think 3.0 shows are way too loud for some reason (maybe it's my age).

It may be that it's too loud... but it sounds so good out on the lawn that it's hard to complain... Like it sounds better for 85% of the crowd than it ever has and 15% it's too loud for have the best seats in the house.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

aphineday

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 03:05:57 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 31, 2011, 03:03:44 PM

It may be that it's too loud... but it sounds so good out on the lawn that it's hard to complain... Like it sounds better for 85% of the crowd than it ever has and 15% it's too loud for have the best seats in the house.
Which is always going to happen to some extent in a pavilion or outdoor setting.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

PIE-GUY

Still working through listening to the weekend - forgot how rocking this Quinn was!! Love it. So much energy and still so tight. Trey is kinda back... ya know what I mean.

G. Augusto

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:13:56 PM
Still working through listening to the weekend - forgot how rocking this Quinn was!! Love it. So much energy and still so tight. Trey is kinda back... ya know what I mean.

Thought the Cities was pretty smokin'.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:14:39 PM

It was. The thing I like is that Trey is playing better... there way fewer cringe-worthy moments in Trey's solos than there have been for most of 3.0. I'm not talking about flubs like Coil, I'm talking about his improvised solos. They are better. LxL has a great one, too. And the first half of Waves from Friday was fantastic fingerwork, too.

I'm lovin' it.

G. Augusto

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:21:17 PM

It was. The thing I like is that Trey is playing better... there way fewer cringe-worthy moments in Trey's solos than there have been for most of 3.0. I'm not talking about flubs like Coil, I'm talking about his improvised solos. They are better. LxL has a great one, too. And the first half of Waves from Friday was fantastic fingerwork, too.

I'm lovin' it.

Do you play guitar at all?
Just wonderin'.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:23:33 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:21:17 PM

I'm lovin' it.

Do you play guitar at all?
Just wonderin'.

nope - I never have. I used to play upright bass. never even bass guitar, though. I sang my whole life, too. I can read music, etc.

G. Augusto

PIE-GUY

G. Augusto

PIE-GUY

Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:27:21 PM
Werd. You should be in love with Mike!  :wink:

Oh, I'm gay for all of 'em. Aren't you?

I was gay for Jeff.

yeah, bummer about him getting hitched to the big J. I thought we had a chance.

runawayjimbo

That first set was a good as I've heard in 3.0. I could give that whole set a re-listen straight through cringe-free and not even consider skipping a song. I can't think of another 3.0 set I could say that about. Obvious highlights are the Halley's > Jim and the Gin but I also dug the Cities and I'll even go so far to say I enjoyed the Limb which is usually a throwaway song for me.

I love how in Halley's right at the point they have been slamming into the next song (~5:40) Trey pauses like he's ready to force something, but then he finally let's go. I'm picturing Mike giving him a look like "Fuck you, dude. The 3 of us are just gonna keep playing this." You can hear a little extra pep in Mike's first few lines. The Jim was nice and I dug the "plinko-funk" jam here better than in KDF the night before. And the Gin had me bouncing in my chair at work, although I agree the the Golden Age jam was much more interesting than singing the lyrics to Manteca (I'd call that a tease, fwiw, since it never really felt like Manteca to me). It didn't ruin the Gin for me because it felt more organic than the 10-30 Led Zep shenanigans or even Utica. But it was def unnecessary and seemed to shorten what could have been a really top notch Gin.

I'll echo what's already been said in that this may not be the face melting shit we were expecting 3 years in, but it certainly shows some serious improvement. On to set II.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:31:19 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on May 31, 2011, 04:28:34 PM
Quote from: G. Augusto on May 31, 2011, 04:27:21 PM
Werd. You should be in love with Mike!  :wink:

Oh, I'm gay for all of 'em. Aren't you?

I was gay for Jeff.

yeah, bummer about him getting hitched to the big J. I thought we had a chance.

No augusto means he was "literally" gay for Jeff.  It's a long story...

Gumbo72203

Holy shit this Gin is killing!!!!  I love how patient Trey was in the start, and the way Fish was like "I'm fuckin' with this rythm, YO" early on. 

Theme - Meh.  Cool opener, Trey was totally not together at all.  Meh.
NICU - right on

Cities - YEAH.  Deeeeep, thick, and SHRED TREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The end of this jam was fucking fantastic; they should have kept it up for wayyy longer. 

Halleys - mixed feelings about this.  Many, many, many times in this jam someone, be it Trey or Page, had established a REALLY cool theme to jam on, but nobody seemed to be listening to anybody else.  Especially the last few minutes, Trey had found quite a few really cool themes, but Mike was fucking against anything; he was playing some really annoying dissonant stuff that had nothing to do with anything anybody else was playing.  He ruined this one, imo.  For whatever reason, he just wasn't into it, and kept it from achieving the liftoff that was readily apparent to me, at least.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again