News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Healthcare Content (Protest Instructions) >>>>>

Started by sophist, August 06, 2009, 09:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

Quote from: kellerb on August 19, 2009, 08:14:28 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on August 19, 2009, 08:03:24 PM
kucinich on olbermann tonight talking healthcare....

oh and
Quote from: Superfreakie on August 18, 2009, 10:16:45 PM
Absolutely brilliant; Kellerb, master of the paraphrase. ROFLMAO. I can't wait to drink with you someday.

it delivers
I'm just like this, but out loud.

So let me get this straight; you are more like this  :wtu: than this  :tte: ?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mbw

the cover story this week from the onion......great stuff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congress Deadlocked Over How To Not Provide Health Care
August 18, 2009 | Issue 45•34

Leaders on both sides of the aisle try to hammer out an agreement on fucking over Americans.

WASHINGTON—After months of committee meetings and hundreds of hours of heated debate, the United States Congress remained deadlocked this week over the best possible way to deny Americans health care.

"Both parties understand that the current system is broken," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi told reporters Monday. "But what we can't seem to agree upon is how to best keep it broken, while still ensuring that no elected official takes any political risk whatsoever. It's a very complicated issue."

"Ultimately, though, it's our responsibility as lawmakers to put these differences aside and focus on refusing Americans the health care they deserve," Pelosi added.

The legislative stalemate largely stems from competing ideologies deeply rooted along party lines. Democrats want to create a government-run system for not providing health care, while Republicans say coverage is best denied by allowing private insurers to make it unaffordable for as many citizens as possible.

"We have over 40 million people without insurance in this country today, and that is unacceptable," Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said. "If we would just quit squabbling so much, we could get that number up to 50 or even 100 million. Why, there's no reason we can't work together to deny health care to everyone but the richest 1 percent of the population."

"That's what America is all about," he added.

House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) said on Meet The Press that Republicans would never agree to a plan that doesn't allow citizens the choice to be denied medical care in the private sector.

"Americans don't need some government official telling them they don't have the proper coverage to receive treatment," Boehner said. "What they need is massive insurance companies to become even more rich and powerful by withholding from average citizens the care they so desperately require. We're talking about people's health and the obscene profits associated with that, after all."

Though there remain irreconcilable points, both parties have reached some common ground in recent weeks. Senate leaders Harry Reid (D-NV) and Mitch McConnell (R-KY) point to Congress' failure to pass legislation before a July 31 deadline as proof of just how serious lawmakers are about stringing along the American people and never actually reforming the health care industry in any meaningful way.

"People should know that every day we are working without their best interests in mind," Reid said. "But the goal here is not to push through some watered-down bill that only denies health care to a few Americans here and a few Americans there. The goal is to recognize that all Americans have a God-given right to proper medical attention and then make sure there's no chance in hell that ever happens."

"No matter what we come up with," Reid continued, "rest assured that millions of citizens will remain dangerously uninsured, and the inflated health care industry will continue to bankrupt the country for decades."

Other lawmakers stressed that, while there has been some progress, the window of cooperation was closing.

"When you get into the nuts and bolts of how best not to provide people with care essential to their survival, there are many things to take into consideration," Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) said. "I believe we can create a plan for Americans that allows them to not be able to go to the hospital, not get the treatment they need, and ultimately whither away and die. But we've got to act fast."

For his part, President Barack Obama claimed to be optimistic, even saying he believes that a health care denial bill will pass in both houses of Congress by the end of the year.

"We have an opportunity to do something truly historic in 2009," Obama said to a mostly silent crowd during a town hall meeting in Virginia yesterday. "I promise I will only sign a clear and comprehensive health care bill that fully denies coverage to you, your sick mother, her husband, middle-class Americans, single-parent households, the unemployed, and most importantly, anyone in need of emergency medical attention."

"This administration is committed to not providing health care," Obama added. "Not just for this generation of Americans, but for many generations to come."

aphineday

It seems like we could easily pay for a nationwide health care plan with all of the money we are wasting on a bullshit war that we had no business starting. That being said, we must find a way to insure the uninsured. Making money on health care (drug companies) is borderline treason.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

antelope19

Everything I'm hearing is bad news for any sort of change on the healthcare front, but I still remain optimistic.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gah

Quote from: aphineday on August 22, 2009, 03:58:31 PM
It seems like we could easily pay for a nationwide health care plan with all of the money we are wasting on a bullshit war that we had no business starting. That being said, we must find a way to insure the uninsured. Making money on health care (drug companies) is borderline treason.

I don't know about that. We're a capitalist society. Health insurance and pharmaceutical companies aren't meant to be nonprofit organizations. That being said, it's the abuses within healthcare that is contributing to the rising costs. Along with the uninsured being unable to pay for their own healthcare, so a lot of time that can be written off as charity with the actual cost being passed onto insurance companies, who then pass it on to those insured under them.

Quote from: antelope19 on August 24, 2009, 02:26:27 PM
Everything I'm hearing is bad news for any sort of change on the healthcare front, but I still remain optimistic.

Yeah, but what we have going now isn't going to work either.  :-(
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

antelope19

Quote from: goodabouthood on August 24, 2009, 04:56:47 PM
Quote from: aphineday on August 22, 2009, 03:58:31 PM

I don't know about that. We're a capitalist society. Health insurance and pharmaceutical companies aren't meant to be nonprofit organizations. That being said, it's the abuses within healthcare that is contributing to the rising costs. Along with the uninsured being unable to pay for their own healthcare, so a lot of time that can be written off as charity with the actual cost being passed onto insurance companies, who then pass it on to those insured under them.

Quote from: antelope19 on August 24, 2009, 02:26:27 PM

Yeah, but what we have going now isn't going to work either.  :-(

Yes, I remain optimistic that there will be some sort of change for the better but it's really not looking good at this point. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Taking care of people is evil. How dare anyone suggest it?

/sarchasm

guyforget

fucking despicable

and this asshole is a doctor, or was

in a way, he's right, because everyone should be paying for their neighbors' health care. 

http://www.youtube.com/v/e3jwhLcW_c8&hl=en&fs=1&

-AD_

alcoholandcoffeebeans

where the puking emoticon?

i hate to turn the TV on anymore...
it just frustrates me.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Hicks

I recommend reading the article by Matt Taibbi in the new Rolling Stone with the Beatles on the cover.

Once again he hits the nail on the head and exposes our leaders as the frauds they truly are and how big of a cluster-f this whole process of healthcare "reform" has become.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

The worst part about this, is there are no thoughts about the actual mechanisms that work to bring us healthcare.

In order for everyone to have adequate healthcare, we need a serious increase in the availability of all resources required to provide health care.  This means we need twice as many doctors, probably 4 times as much health equipment, at least twice as many nurses, a larger supply of pharmacists, etc to provide all the services that would be required with a hugely increased healthcare client base.

None of the legislation has addressed this problem.  The debate over healthcare has actually disuaded some from the profession, there are many in Medical school who are contemplating different careers because of their fears that Med school won't be worth it financially when they exit.

Before Obama, and his team of experts had made this their priority issue, they should have thought of all of the logistics inherent to the problem before they opened their fat mouths and said they were going to "fix a broken system".

It's kind of like if the Government mandated that McDonalds provide free hamburgers for everyone, but when you show up at McDonald's, none are available.  You can't mandate that they give you what they do not possess.

sls.stormyrider

there is a shortage of docs, primarily primary care.
there is too much equipment and over-utilization of the system by those who have the means.

it will take years to get more docs, but many of the problems theoretically can, and should, be addressed now.

criticize his methods or his plan, but give him (and Clinton) credit for the balls to attempt to fix it. Many people in recent memory didn't even try. 40% of the US Senate and a larger minority of the House is also unwilling to try. Rather than throw daggers, they should face the problem and try and work it out.

I recently read that (GOP) Senator Chaffee had a very good alternative plan to Clinton in the early 90s - many thought it was not only better, but workable. It was squashed by the GOP establishment because they didn't want to "help the Clintons"
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

fauxpaxfauxreal

Yeah, I agree.  It's just that something like this takes at least 2-4 years for a panel of experts to figure out BEFORE you introduce steps to try and fix it.

One of the things that I think sucks about this previous election is that regardless on how you feel about John Edwards personal life, he had a stupendously wonderful platform that he had invested in the research and time to make it work.

Read:

For an example of how someone who wanted to be our executive took the time and money to organize a panel of experts to research the problems in a system and what we can do to fix them ON HIS OWN before he ran for President the second time.

It really frustrates me that more people haven't taken the time to read this book. 

If we were to eliminate Poverty here, the symptomatic problem of Healthcare inadequacy would be eliminated as well. 

In my opinion our Healthcare inadequacy is a symptom of the rampant Poverty problem we have here in the U.S.A.

Superfreakie

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on August 26, 2009, 08:35:39 PM
One of the things that I think sucks about this previous election is that regardless on how you feel about John Edwards personal life, he had a stupendously wonderful platform

I think America is the only western country that still expects their legislators to be saints, possibly Canada runs second. In Europe, especially England, it has come to be abnormal if you are not cheating on your wife, or being caught in nazi drag while getting pegged by a meth'd out prostitute. It is sad how many great politicians America has railroaded because of personal failings.
Now to derail the thread on this topic:

You guys recently tossed out Elliot Spitzer (well he resigned but). I was really saddened by this because, and you may or may not know this, he was the only fucking guy who had figured out what Wall Street was doing and was about to introduce a ton of legislation trying to rectify the problem. He was a real financial genius and on our side, the good side. And this is really rare because these individuals are normally swooned away with huge salaries and perks offered by multi-nationals, big banks and insurance companies etc.... Long before the crisis started he had warned and wrote about the bad swaps, the poor insurance requirements that were allowing sub-prime mortgages to be bundled and sold to banks in Europe and Asia. He was the relatively new sheriff on Wall Street and those in power were ready to do anything to get rid of him. He loved going after the wealthy bastards ripping off the normal folk, took great pride in it. To be honest, with the investigations he was running and the legislation they were going to be introducing, I for sure thought he was going to have an "accident". In the world of business and law, he was fucking crazy......as in crazy good.

Now ask yourself, with all the prostitute business that goes down in New York, and all the politicians and business men involved, why is it that only Spitzer got nailed? None of that was by accident. Don't fuck with the big boys. When I read the news that day, I knew immediately who was behind it. Fuckers. The new legislation he was writing was going to run them all up the flag pole. Oh well, the economy tanked and now they are writing new legislation but there will still be loop holes in it everywhere, as those writing the legislation are a bunch of dodgy bastards themselves. At least Paulson is gone but he screwed you guys so hard before the left but that is another story, you guys really got fucked with the first tarp and which companies got bailouts and which ones were allowed to fail.....look it up some time, it's scary...............too bad they don't sell lube for the fucking you guys have gotten recently.  :-o 

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I pretty much agree.

I don't care who you fuck, what drugs you do or how much you gamble...

What I care about is the quality of what you bring to the table.  I completely agree that personal issues are often used when politicians are going to eff big business.