News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2010 shn/flac -> aac app

Started by jedifunk, August 25, 2010, 08:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprobeck

Quote from: jedifunk on August 29, 2010, 01:12:05 PM
didn't realize it was about picking sides.

Well yeah, there's this thing  called the Lossless Revolution. I'm a part of it. I'm not one of the main guys but I still believe in it though and participate as much as I can. The idea is that you can have digital downloadable music without sacrificing quality as you do with MP3s. It is an advance, and really raises the whole level of things. I care about it so much that it just grinds my gears I guess you could say when I hear or read about people still using MP3s. 
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

mbw

Quote from: sprobeck on August 29, 2010, 01:20:29 PM
Well yeah, there's this thing  called the Lossless Revolution. I'm a part of it. I'm not one of the main guys but I still believe in it though and participate as much as I can. The idea is that you can have digital downloadable music without sacrificing quality as you do with MP3s.

whoa, that is revolutionary.  you are like the Che of digital music, man.

jedifunk

Quote from: sprobeck on August 29, 2010, 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on August 29, 2010, 01:12:05 PM
didn't realize it was about picking sides.

Well yeah, there's this thing  called the Lossless Revolution. I'm a part of it. I'm not one of the main guys but I still believe in it though and participate as much as I can. The idea is that you can have digital downloadable music without sacrificing quality as you do with MP3s. It is an advance, and really raises the whole level of things. I care about it so much that it just grinds my gears I guess you could say when I hear or read about people still using MP3s.
good for you.  i have no problem with lossless music.  in fact, i am glad it exists.  however, for my listening, there is no need or discernable difference in sound quality for me.  only having a few phish shows on my iphone in a lossless format vs having 20+ plus other albums is a no brainer.  i'll go with lossy till i can actually tell a big enough difference.

for those that only listen on top end speakers or headphones and can actually tell a difference, go for it. do the lossless thing.

but until storage, and playback make it easy to do lossless i'm perfectly fine with AAC
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

I have XLD but don't use it.  The UI isn't that great and a lot of the features aren't self-explanatory.  xACT goes quick enough.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sls.stormyrider

revisiting this one.
converted shn>m4a this AM. fast, no problem.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

jedifunk

Quote from: slslbs on September 12, 2010, 10:46:00 AM
revisiting this one.
converted shn>m4a this AM. fast, no problem.
with xACT?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on September 12, 2010, 09:46:21 PM
sorry - minor detail
XLD

I didn't realize XLD could handle SHN. I had thought it didn't, as I've been using xACT to convert the odd SHN files but otherwise have been using XLD for FLAC -> ALAC.

Hmm.
Is this still Wombat?