News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by cactusfan, December 07, 2010, 03:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

if you haven't read the Ice & Fire series of books by George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones is book 1), you're missing out in a big way. i loathe fantasy books, but a friend finally forced these on me, and they're amazing.

a few years back i thought to myself that the only way they could ever be filmed was to make each book (they're about 1000 pages each) into a 12 episode HBO series. i even wrote out treatments for all 12 episodes of the first book and got in touch with Martin's lawyer to see if the rights had been bought. they hadn't. i was hoping to interest some friends of friends in the world of TV... six months passed... and i read in variety that someone was turning the books into an HBO series. doh!

not sure how this making of/preview will play to those who haven't read the books, but from my view, it looks like they did a great job. this could be exceptional.

and a warning to those watching/reading anything about this series: big spoilers are out there. very little that happens in this story is expected. either read the books--or be very cautious reading about this series, i.e. avoid youtube comments sections...

blatboom

I am a Fantasy nerd and these are the best books I've ever read.  too bad Martin is going to croak before he ever finishes the series.  super stoked for this.

postjack

Quote from: blatboom on December 07, 2010, 09:14:12 AM
I am a Fantasy nerd and these are the best books I've ever read.  too bad Martin is going to croak before he ever finishes the series.  super stoked for this.

I am also a fantasy nerd, and I also love ASoIaF, but I think Erikson's Malazan series is the best "fat fantasy" series out there. not to mention Erikson isn't obese, and actually releases his books regularly. :) in fact he might have finished it already. I started reading the 8th book, but had no clue what was going on since I'd waited too long to pick it up, so I decided to reread the series. I'm having a blast delving into the first book again!

anywho, I haven't read past the first three books in ASoIaF, specifically because I want it to be finished before I invest anymore time in it, and I don't have full confidence that will happen. BUT, with the series coming up, I will reread Game.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

blatboom

supposedly he's only got parts of 5 chapters left in A Dance With Dragons but that's been the status for months  :roll:

postjack

Quote from: blatboom on December 07, 2010, 10:49:19 AM
supposedly he's only got parts of 5 chapters left in A Dance With Dragons but that's been the status for months  :roll:

wow, wasn't it "supposed" to come out in 2008? :) I still haven't read Feast, but Storm remains one of the greatest epic fantasies I've read.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

qop24

oooh i need to check these books out!
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

cactusfan

Quote from: blatboom on December 07, 2010, 10:49:19 AM

he's too distracted by this damn tv show!

it's true, the only bad thing about these books is waiting for the next one.

cactusfan

The first episode airs in a week. I am excited.

Also, the fifth book is (finally) coming out July 12. Even more exiciting.

blatboom

can't fucking believe I'm gonna miss the first two weeks because I'm going on vacation.  show debuts on my birthday   :x :x :x :x :x

thechad

Just watched the first episode.  Awesome.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

VDB

Pretty entertaining. High quality production, for TV or otherwise. Lots of nekkidness, which is always a plus. I don't read the books but my wife does, so I'm sure we'll stick with the series as long as it keeps bringing the goods.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

not bad. a tough episode to pull off, having to introduce so many characters, but they did it well enough. seems like a lot of strong actors.

reading various reviewers, all of whom were given the first six episodes to watch, it sounds like this is the weakest episode and they just keep getting better and better. which makes sense for a story this big.

psyched for next week...

rowjimmy

I've seen the first episode and I'm nealy done with the first book (thanks to blat's suggestion.)

Good stuff so far.

blatboom

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 02, 2011, 11:16:08 AM
I'm nealy done with the first book (thanks to blat's suggestion.)
nice dude!  I had no idea.

I'm not as high on the show as others so far.  the direwolves have been virtually written out of the story which really bothers me.  and there's so many characters and not nearly enough time to develop any of them.  oh well the fifth book is almost here thank god.

MiamiPhish

Last episode for me, a non-Martin reader, was a snoozefest.  No battles, no killings and few titties.

HBO, if you're not going to be splattering blood like it's 1865, then at least give me some Emilia Clarke titty!  C'mon now!