News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mark Foley....

Started by sophist, October 04, 2006, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

The following link is to abc news and contains a IM conversation with Foley and a Page.  It shows just how much a of a sick Fuck this guy is.  It also shows how politics play a more important role than the protection of children from sexual predators.  I won't be voting Republican this November, its fairly apparent that certain conservative members of the house knew about this and did nothing.  This is unacceptable, and I won't stand for it. 

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/BrianRoss/story?id=2509586&page=1   

here is another link with a different IM conversation:
http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/10/new_foley_insta.html

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/10/instant_message.html

this is just sick. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jonyem

Oh, how I miss the days when politicians just got caught sleeping with legal age women.

antelope19

Quote from: jonyem on October 04, 2006, 10:18:17 AM
Oh, how I miss the days when politicians just got caught sleeping with legal age women.
right?  Thats just disgusting!!!!!   :|
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

Quote from: jonyem on October 04, 2006, 10:18:17 AM
:lol:
This event kind of puts the Clinton debacle into perspective.  Foley will just get transfered to a new post....

never mind, he's not working for the Catholic Church  :evil:
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

The guy's a sick fuck but what's worse is the following:

a) he's trying to excuse it with his 'confessions' of alcoholism, homosexuality and, childhood molestation

being a drunk is a poor excuse. It may cause you to be out-of-control but, it won't cause this...
being gay not an excuse at all. homosexuality is not related to being a pedaphile.
the notion that he was a victim of molestation only makes it worse that he'd do that to someone else; knowing the trauma that it could bring

b) this clown was actually in chage of various panels and 'taskforces' working to 'protect children from predators'

c) This is the big one... People need to keep their eyes on the who knew what, when; deal. Why? Because it smells a lot like people were trying to let something blow over that is not only inappropriate but probably illegal so that they wouldn't have to get their hands dirty before a potentially sticky mid-term election.

Marmar

I got one word to throw out there.....

REVOLUTION

It's our civic duty....it's in the constitution.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

rowjimmy

as well as in the declaration of independence.

Guyute

Opie and Anthony have been reading the IM transcripts, its a riot.

This guy is a mess.  The worst was the ABC coverage.  First they showed a guy typing with 2 hands on the keyboard as the transcripts were read, then the next shot, he was using 1.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

susep

Quote from: phan003 on October 04, 2006, 09:58:05 AM
I won't be voting Republican this November, its fairly apparent that certain conservative members of the house knew about this and did nothing.  This is unacceptable, and I won't stand for it. 

It's about time> The Republic-an party is whack, whick whick whack.

Quote from: Marmar on October 04, 2006, 11:52:31 AM
I got one word to throw out there.....

REVOLUTION

It's our civic duty....it's in the constitution.

word!

The GOP = "Incumbent protection society"

sls.stormyrider

Now I get it.

According to Republicans it's NOT OK if 2 gay adults openly have a relationship, register it with the authorities so they can get all the rights and responsibilities of that adult relationship

but

It IS OK for an adult to have a private, secret sexual relationship with a minor of the same sex.

Good thing they are the party of family values
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

the "speaker of the house"knowledge could be a major flashpoint(I watched an interesting '92 LA Riots documentary early) for the downfall of the republicans.  This is on top of GW's tragic run at the presidency. 
Mainstream American republicans are turning away from the party, incesed by its abhorrent policies and dark manifestations.
This could become an interesting shakedown for the American political and World geo-political structure.

Bring on the Greens!

gimmetela

what the?...
where'd mymessage go?

ican't even befgin to retype it.

FUCK MARK FOLEY, THERE ISN';T ENOUGH MERCY ON THE EARTH.  PEOPLE THAT FUCK WITH KIDS SHOULD SUFFER NOT ONLY PUBLIC HUMILIATION, BUT Something much worse.  period.

sophist

Neal Boortz's (Atlanta based talk show host) thoughts on Foley.

QuoteAnother day and more revelations come out about former Representative Mark Foley's behavior.

Not good.

Essentially we have learned thus far that some of Foley's actions were an open secret on the Hill.  We've also learned that Foley actually wanted to retire, but the House Republican Leadership, eager to hang on to power, convinced him to stay and run again.

Nice going, guys. You knew he was a gay man preying on male pages .. and you urge him to stay in the race?  Holding on to power in Washington is that important to you?

Now we're finding out that Mark Foley actually tried to visit the dorm that the House Pages sleep in.  The story is that Foley showed up drunk at the dorm some time back and that the Capitol Police stopped him from entering.  It's not known how long ago this was or how many times Foley showed up.

Are we expected to believe that the Republican leadership didn't know of Foley's attempts to get into the dorm?  Come on!  Are you going to believe that?  And by the way ... ditto for the Democrats, but the difference is that Democrats would eventually use the information to damage Republicans.  Republicans could have used the information to clean their house, protect the pages and themselves .. but they did not do it.

What are we going to find out next?  We know that Foley's computers and e-mails are being examined further...expect an avalanche of bad publicity.

All of this is bad news for the Republicans, whose leadership couldn't have handled this more badly.  We now know that Foley was chatting up pages as far back as the mid-nineties....how long before we find out that it was more than just talk?  Are we supposed to believe that Foley never once in the last several years did anything more than send dirty instant messages and naughty e-mails?  Hopefully, but you never know.

Just when you think it can't get any worse...it does.  Next Tuesday makes it four weeks until Election Day, and with each passing scandal, Nancy Pelosi is gearing up to receive her Speaker's gavel.  If that happens, the Republicans will have done it to themselves.
dorm rooms? thats just sick.  this is just getting evil.

sophist

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/10/dysfunctional_house_gop.html
QuoteOctober 05, 2006
Dysfunctional House GOP
By Robert Novak

WASHINGTON -- After it was learned that Rep. Mark Foley had dispatched an inappropriate e-mail message to a 16-year-old male former page, the House Republican leadership was still urging him to seek re-election from his Florida district. He agreed. It was a success that surely will cost the Republicans Foley's seat in Congress and perhaps control of the House for the first time since the 1994 election.

A member of the House leadership told me that Foley, under continuous political pressure because of his sexual orientation, was considering not seeking a seventh term this year but that Rep. Tom Reynolds, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee (NRCC), talked him into running. Reynolds confirmed that he did urge Foley, as he urged nearly all incumbents who had not made up their minds, to run again. Yet, the questionable e-mails -- not the subsequently revealed explicit instant messages -- had been known to House GOP authorities long before Foley decided to run.

While Democratic accusations of an intentional Republican cover-up are clearly without substance, the Foley affair points to a divided, disorganized House leadership. The gap between Reynolds and Speaker Dennis Hastert is wide. The image of a dysfunctional House GOP is underlined by Hastert asserting that "I just don't recall or remember" Reynolds calling Foley's e-mail to his attention "this spring." These are leaders who operate in secret and have trouble communicating with one another.

Dealing with Foley was complicated because he was a known, though never a self-proclaimed, homosexual. A desire not to be accused of gay-bashing may have influenced party leaders to set aside the e-mail that the former page described as "sick, sick, sick."

Foley's e-mail was uncovered as early as last November. The boy's congressional sponsor in Louisiana, Rep. Rodney Alexander, notified the clerk of the House, who informed Rep. John Shimkus of Illinois, head of the board that oversees pages. Staffers set at mid-April the time when Reynolds went to Hastert.

At this point, Foley was talking about a 2006 Senate candidacy (after his aborted Senate race in 2004) but was discouraged by White House aides who viewed him as unelectable. According to House sources, Foley was then considering retirement from Congress.

The NRCC regarded the sprawling 16th congressional district as safe Republican territory easily carried by a new candidate. Foley received 68 percent of the vote in 2004 (with George W. Bush winning there for re-election by eight percentage points). There was plenty of time for a substitute with Foley not filing for re-election until May 8.

Even though the sexually explicit messages sent to other former pages in 2003 and 2004 were not yet known, this was the time to ease out Foley. But Reynolds indicated to me he urged him to stay, in hopes of keeping non-incumbent districts to a minimum. Until the Foley scandal broke, Reynolds was being heralded by Republicans as a savior whose astute managerial skills improved prospects for keeping the House.

Late last Friday afternoon on the House floor, as Congress prepared to adjourn until after the midterm elections, unhappy Republican members speculated about a campaign plot hatched by Democrats and the liberal news media. It came, they grumbled, just as prospects were looking up for the GOP with a burst of legislative activity (including passage of a border protection bill).

But by this week, Republicans were turning on their own leaders with difficult questions. Why did the unusual attention paid to teenage boys by a homosexual man not flash warning signals? Why did Shimkus not alert his Democratic counterpart on the page board, Rep. Dale Kildee of Michigan? Above all, why was Foley urged to run again?

These questions are being asked by not only rank-and-file House members but by elected members of the leadership. Indeed, Hastert, Majority Leader John Boehner and Majority Whip Roy Blunt all were acting disjointedly as the scandal broke this week (with Boehner publicly declaring it was the speaker's responsibility). The failure of the 109th Congress to satisfy the Republican conservative base seems linked to failure to deal effectively with Mark Foley.
article has a conservative slant, but still a good read

sophist