News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-08-05 - Verizon Amphitheater - Alpharetta, GA - Post Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, August 06, 2018, 09:58:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

2018-08-05 - Verizon Amphitheater - Alpharetta, GA

Set 1:
You Sexy Thing, Tweezer Reprise > What's the Use > Petrichor > Most Events Aren't Planned, Vultures, Reba*, Sand

Set 2:
Taste > Golden Age** > Twist > Waves > Fuego > Mango Song > Bathtub Gin > You Sexy Thing Reprise

Encore:
Fee+, 2001%

* You Sexy Thing quotes from Fish
** With Reba whistling
+ w/ Megaphone
% You Sexy Thing and Tweeprise teases

rowjimmy

Lot to cover here you guys.
Kind of a crazy show. REally good so far as I've listened. nothing super deep, unlike the previous nights, but spirited and fun jamming, creative and surprising setlist choices and a good listen at home.

ph92

Taste had :wtu: teases
I know I heard a NMINML tease in second set, maybe the gin? The whole second set was a tease fest for sure.
This whole fucking show was amazing though. The crowds reaction to sexy thing opener was nuts. First set highlights were Reba and Sand. The Sand had the energy, the patience, and I was loving it. Great way to end the set.

Set 2 was just a monster start to finish. I honestly have a hard time remembering all the good stuff because there was so much of it. The Gin was absolutely fire. Golden age went pretty deep which was nice.

At the end of the night this just solidifies that this is the best 3 night run I've attended.

Also fun fact. Since it's debut, Fuego has not missed a single 3 night run. Also this was the 100th Mango song
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

pcr3

Looks like I picked the wrong weekend to hop off the streaming train.  :frustrated:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

runawayjimbo

I don't know, I thought last night wasn't quite on the level of the prior two nights. Points for unpredictability and I dug Golden Age, but nothing else really grabbed me the way Ghost/Tweezer/Carini/Hood or Soul Planet > ASIHTOS > Piper did from first two nights. And some of the teases and whatnot felt really forced (Reba whistling comes to mind). I liked the playfulness (Trey's line pre-2001 slayed) and I'm sure it was fun there, but didn't really carry through for me. Still fun had watching though and beyond excited for tomorrow night.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Bobafett

The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

VDB

Three nights in Alpharetta. It's a pretty funny idea. Who was clamoring for that? Sure: major market, good venue (and a smallish one), and, I even speculate, perhaps no dice in booking a different regional shed on one of the bookend dates. But still, 3 x Alpharetta? lol, sure, why not.

Not that I was worried. Phish has been giving it good to Atlanta for a long while now. I actually have to congratulate them for the success they've had in the market. Does anyone even consider this is right in Panic's backyard? I don't. Sorry, guys.

We set the over/under on heater shows for the weekend at 2.5 going in. Of course you have to take the under, but history suggests it'll be tight. After night one, we all felt pretty good. It's like taking the first game of a playoff series.

I had the pleasure of running into ph92 on lot before the show Saturday (that was N2, right Will?) and we wandered around a cramped shakedown district for a little bit. I'm no lot-goods connoisseur, but general consensus held that the Alpharetta lot underdelivered this time around. Saw a couple other faces I recognized then and throughout the weekend, which as I know y'all know is always one of the pleasures of accumulating time on tour.

I think I enjoyed Saturday more than Friday. A variety of circumstances made them hard to compare, but I had an easy time maintaining a tight focus throughout Saturday and I found the jamming to be generally exquisite. The clear highlight, of course, was Soul Planet, which I enjoyed quasi-ironically once it began and religiously once it began to jam.

Tweeprise in the two hole on Sunday might have seemed like a gyp, but of course that's the joke: insofar as the delayed Tweeprise exclamation point is carefully deployed to cap off the Great Big Run, and insofar as this is fucking Alpharetta, change of plans. Sexy Thing, Sexprise instead. And a 2001 – OK, fine! – with Tweeprise. Phish, still, are full of surprises. Apart from that, there was plenty of quality to identify: Petrichor, Most Events, Reba, Sand in the first; Golden Age, Gin in the second.

Kuroda's work was of premium caliber, of course, for the most part. He does go white-light too often for my tastes, which is a complaint that my entire crew seemed to key in on. But outside those times, the artistry of the visual component can be exhilarating. The lights seem to be more active (in terms of rigs on the move) than last year, to my eyes. CK5 will often bring the lights way down low over the heads of the band, creating an intimate and concentrated look in an otherwise cavernous space.

I'm a little too tired and sore, still, to say I'm looking forward yet to the next two weekends of shows. These runs are fun, but this one seems to have attacked my age in a new way. I'm hoping for a full recuperation and shows as good as they were in the northern Atlanta suburbs this year, if only to make up for the pain the next ones might inflict. Let us pray.
Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

ph92

Yeah that was Saturday, glad I caught you on lot! Always better than a passerby in the venue. I still just can't get over how much fun Sunday was.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

cactusfan

Itsnotanexperience

It's funny, the last time I saw Phish in Alpharetta was at the rain show in 2013, which was arguably my least favorite Phish show attended of all time.   Coming in right behind that show was this one.

This was also my first show since 2015 as life has continued to be too busy for shows the past few years.   So I was anxious to catch something that appeared to match the previous nights' intensity.   And while there were a few moments here and there (Miracles, Tweezprise; Sand), there were major flubs (Vultures, Reba, TASTE) and a multitude of reminders that 3.0 Phish still doesn't practice much, if at all, and that part of the reason I haven't made the effort to see them for 3 years is that 3.0 Phish, while occasionally amazing, usually leaves me wanting more.

Apparently I chose wrong on family night:)

anthrax

i was able to avoid all the summer setlists when i was gone without internet, so i'm still playing the no spoilers game with the couch tour vids.  a week ago yesterday i came home after a long week.  got hammered and put this one on.  it hooked me from the first note.  what a great show!