News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazz Thread

Started by converse29, April 11, 2007, 01:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

converse29

Quote from: slslbs on April 11, 2007, 02:16:49 PM
I'll start with McCoy, cause that was the initial post today (I think). Can't say enough - kinda plays piano almost like Trane played sax. Reminds me of a waterfall that keeps going. Love what he does on My favorite Things.
McCoy reminds me of thunder....maybe..a nuclear explosion. The imagery is vast for me when I listen to him.

jam>

In some 90's Rolling Stone article on the Dead, the author compares Bob Weirs rythmn playing to Tyner's right hand

rowjimmy

Weir's left hand can span approx. 20 frets.

newplanet7

Quote from: converse29 on April 11, 2007, 01:12:12 PM
I just thought I'd start another thread on Jazz. Anything goes. Just like jazz. For instance-
I've been listening to a great McCoy Tyner(piano) album called "The Real McCoy" with Joe Henderson on Sax,Elvin Jones on drums.
The piano for me is a great tool in understanding music and jazz for that matter from a theory standpoint. So,with that said I've been enjoying the music of Bill Evans,Oscar Peterson,Art Tatum.
Thanks-Converse.

Great album. Saw him with Mcbride and Ravi Coltrane at Newport Jazzfest in '05.
I do believe McBride is on that album too.

I've been listening to Cannonball Adderly lately.
Quote from: phan003 on June 16, 2007, 01:41:44 PM
Funny would be applying super glue to your nuts and putting said nuts on her face.  Talk about "seeing the light" and remaining faithful to the indigo girls manifesto.  :wink: 

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 16, 2007, 10:33:26 PM
There's more airbrush on that shot than on a Peterbilt with a flame job.
:lol:

"Gus Johnson Got the key"

sophist

Quote from: susep73 on April 11, 2007, 01:49:17 PM

I've been listening to this album, great stuff.  I'm not a big Methany fan per se but his collab w/ Ornette brings out some interesting playing. 
Also listening to a lot of  :syf: Spring '72, the Dark Stars and The Other Ones contain very jazzy improv., some of their best. 
Endangered Species is the worst song on that album, I can't stand it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

Quote from: phan003 on April 11, 2007, 10:23:38 PM
Endangered Species is the worst song on that album, I can't stand it. 

I love ecological titles. :-P

sls.stormyrider

thought I would continue this thread  - jumping from McCoy to some younger piano players who deserve a listen
Brad Mehldau
Danillo Perez
Michelle Camilo
Jacky Terrason

Mehldau seems to be graduating from clubs to small theaters. The others I think tour mostly in clubs. catch 'em if you can
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

converse29

Quote from: newplanet7 on April 11, 2007, 07:55:19 PM
Great album. Saw him with Mcbride and Ravi Coltrane at Newport Jazzfest in '05.
I do believe McBride is on that album too.

I've been listening to Cannonball Adderly lately.
That's great. I had a good time hearing Wynton Marsalis live at the Cumberland County Civic Center back in 1996. "The Real McCoy" has Ron Carter playing bass. McBride is a great player,too. McCoy at Newport with Coltrane's son....priceless. :-D

mattstick

Also on the Jazz piano players tip - everyone should listen to Bill Evans all the time.

cactusfan

Quote from: susep73 on April 11, 2007, 01:49:17 PM

I've been listening to this album, great stuff.  I'm not a big Methany fan per se but his collab w/ Ornette brings out some interesting playing.  

i love this album. i'm also not a big metheny fan, but this is great. and that includes endangered species!

converse29

Quote from: mattstick on April 14, 2007, 12:47:24 PM
Also on the Jazz piano players tip - everyone should listen to Bill Evans all the time.

True. His chord voicings are so creative. Check him out on MySpace for some great tunes. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=47861933

converse29

For the McCoy Tyner and Coltrane listener. A little Eric Dolphy as well. :clap:

mattstick

John McLaughlin did a nice tribute album to Bill Evans, worth checking out...

susep

Quote from: mattstick on April 15, 2007, 02:13:41 PM
John McLaughlin did a nice tribute album to Bill Evans, worth checking out...

He also did a Coltrane Tribute that was ok.

converse29

Staying on topic here's a solid pairing of great guitar players on YouTube performing "All Blues". Bireli Lagrene and John McLaughlin.  :-D