News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Anything cromulent that embiggens you! anything Simpsons thread

Started by justjezmund, January 07, 2010, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

This is a web short, that has never aired in an episode.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

runawayjimbo

Good longish read on why the Simpsons is the greatest show of all time.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/tv-the-book-simpsons-best-television-show.html

QuoteWhy The Simpsons Is the Best TV Show Ever

If, by some chance, you stumbled across a person who had never seen a frame of The Simpsons, and they wanted to know why it was so popular, so respected, so beloved, how would you explain it?

You could start by showing them Sideshow Bob stepping on eight rakes in a row in under thirty seconds. The scene, from the classic season 5 episode "Cape Feare," represents the whole spectrum of humor folded and refolded into a single gag. Layer one is the lowest form of humor, violent slapstick. The sight of Bob stepping on rake after rake after rake is a monument to comic excess, pushing one joke past all reasonable limits—a gag on the same wavelength of Jonathan Winters in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World systematically destroying an entire gas station with his bare hands, or Laurel and Hardy in Big Business repeatedly trying and failing to get a piano up a flight of stairs. At the same time, though, it is also conceptual humor, because it is also about the idea of excess. As David Letterman demonstrated on his late-night shows when he repeated the same knowingly lame catchphrase for weeks on end, sometimes a gag is funny the first time, less funny the second, still less funny the third, then ceases to be funny at all, until the audacity of continuing to repeat it wears down your resistance and makes you laugh again. Finally, the rake gag is a bit of character-based humor with actual philosophical overtones: Sideshow Bob, who keeps trying and failing to murder his young nemesis, Bart Simpson, throughout the show's run, fears that the universe is indifferent to his desires, and may even derive joy from watching him suffer. What simpler way to confirm Bob's fears than by topping the lead-up to the gag—Bob being mangled and torn while hanging beneath the Simpsons' station wagon en route to witness protection at Cape Feare Lake—with a series of rakes to the face? That the onslaught of the rakes is so tedious, so basic, so not personal, only makes it worse. Everywhere Bob steps, a rake, a rake, another rake. The rakes stand in for every twist of fate that sabotages Bob's plan, every indignity heaped upon him, every eventuality his supposed genius could not foresee, every moment of potential glory snatched from his grasp. And of course the rake is also Bart Simpson: the Road Runner to Bob's Wile E. Coyote, Droopy Dog to Bob's Wolf. Bob's guttural shudders (a brilliant verbal flourish by guest star Kelsey Grammer) are not merely expressions of physical agony but marrow-deep self-disgust. Each time a rake hits Bob in the face, it confirms his secret fear that beneath his educated facade and delusions of omnipotence, he's still an unemployable TV clown, a second banana in his own life, a living embodiment of unmerited hubris and well-deserved failure—all of which, point of fact, he is. This lone gag crystallizes every facet of Bob in relation to the world of The Simpsons.

And he's not even a regular character!

That one could write a similarly expansive lead paragraph drawing on any one of dozens of other Simpsons gags—maybe hundreds; at the time of this book's publication, Matt Groening's animated sitcom was nearing the end of its third decade—gives some hint of the show's richness.

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 31, 2016, 06:56:02 AM
This is a web short, that has never aired in an episode.

Shoulda never aired on the internet either...
Is this still Wombat?

Lifeboy

I haven't had FXX for a month or so now. Before, I watched The Simpsons literally every day (minus Wed and Sun). I switched from Dish to Directv and I have to upgrade my package. Sucks, but it's gotta happen. I'm not sure how much more it will be... I've been procrastinating.

I have every season, that are available, on DVD though...
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Multibeast12

I started re watching the first 13 seasons, I am on season 6. It never gets old. I love the Phil Hartman characters so much.

Multibeast12

If any of you guys have a lot of time and enjoy podcasts, there is a good Simpsons one I found, called Everything's Coming Up. it is a solid podcast talking to comedy writers about what the Simpsons means to them and they pick and discuss a episode.

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

westcider

there's a really funny Hank Azaria interview here: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/the-spiegel-and-parkins-show/

it's in 3/28/17 Hour 3.  among other things, you get to hear various Simpsons characters having sex

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.