News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

NHL 2013

Started by khalpin, January 06, 2013, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I agree it was delay of game and should have been called.
That said, the game should have been over by that time. That was the biggest game 7 choke in the history of the game.
It was only round 1, so the Leafs weren't that close.
Also it was far from the worst call (or non call) in crucial playoff games that I've personally seen - in hockey or other sports, not to mention the games I haven't seen. (I'm a Ranger fan so I was rooting for Toronto to win that one)

YMMV but imo Olympic and playoff hockey are the best sporting events on earth
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

khalpin

Quote from: mattstick on May 15, 2014, 09:59:02 PM
Between the Leafs coming that close and losing last year and the Olympic tournament being so good this year, I've just had enough hockey and can't enjoy NHL the same way.
Fair weather fan, eh?

:evil:

mattstick

I'm obviously bias but there is no element of "let them play" there for the non-call...

The evidence is right there on the ice - you have to call that, you can't let a team cheat like that and get away with that. Ugh, so cheap and stupid.

mattstick

You can call me a "fair weather" fan but I've cheered for a team that's too good to get top draft picks and too bad to make the playoffs for over a decade. It's painful.

pcr3

Quote from: mattstick on May 16, 2014, 09:18:54 AM
You can call me a "fair weather" fan but I've cheered for a team that's too good to get top draft picks and too bad to make the playoffs for over a decade. It's painful.

Or traded its good draft picks for the ever-underwhelming Phil Kessel.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mattstick

Phil Kessel is one of the top-5 goal scorers in the NHL.  He's not underwhelming.

It was stupid that Burke gave the B's more than he had to when he could have just signed him to an offer sheet that Boston couldn't match.

What's underwhelming is what the Bruin's turned those draft picks into.

pcr3

He plays so soft.

Bruins have Hamilton, Loui Eriksson, Reilly Smith, Matt Fraser, and a few years of Seguin (one Cup during that time) as a result of the trade. No one down here would take that trade back.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

khalpin

I'm totally joking, btw.  Just being a dick.

I agree with you on that non-call.  That was ridiculous.

Lifeboy

Kessel underwhelming?

L
O
L

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

Sounds about right for Boston fans...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch/story.html?id=9838727

Letter: Canadiens fan says he regrets attending playoff game at Boston's TD Garden

THE GAZETTE MAY 14, 2014

I was at the game in Boston on May 10 with my girlfriend. We were wearing Montreal jerseys. We're from New Brunswick and love our team, the Habs.

We are quiet people, we weren't going there to cause trouble. We actually didn't even stand up when the Habs scored.

But we got called f-----g stupid Canadians, we were told to go back to Canada, I was called a French f-g — t — all that happened while the play was going on. Then between periods, I had to use the washroom. That was my biggest mistake. I was called the same, was shoved and punched. I'm surprised I got out of there without fighting, but I managed to find my way out. After that point I understood I had to stay in my seat, so I did.

After the final whistle, while people were walking out of their rows we stayed at our seats to let the crowd out, so we wouldn't have to deal with the fans. Then a fan just stood on top of my 98 pound, 4'11" girlfriend and spilled a full beer on top of her head while she was looking at him. Luckily, I didn't see this — she only told me after we left —because there would have been a guy flying off the balcony.

I paid $448 for two tickets, $240 for hotels, food, drinks, gas. Altogether, I brought over $1,000 to Boston. I realize that TD Garden is the home of the Bruins and Bruins fans love their hockey, but would I be wrong to say people like myself help the U.S. economy and should be thanked, and not disrespected? I wasn't expecting to get high fives for wearing a Montreal jersey, but I really didn't expect for my girlfriend to be disrespected that way. My girlfriend was a very sick woman for a year and all she did was watch hockey, that was the one thing that helped her. I live paycheque to paycheque and was saving for this, and to be honest had to be the worst three hours of my life. I regret every moment and every penny I spent over the weekend. Would I be wrong to say that better security is needed and people who do such thing thrown out of the building to set an example?

I want Canadians to know what to expect when they go to TD Garden.

Yves Leger

Moncton

pcr3

Quote from: mattstick on May 16, 2014, 02:33:32 PM
Sounds about right for Boston fans...

http://www.montrealgazette.com/touch/story.html?id=9838727

Letter: Canadiens fan says he regrets attending playoff game at Boston's TD Garden

THE GAZETTE MAY 14, 2014

I was at the game in Boston on May 10 with my girlfriend. We were wearing Montreal jerseys. We're from New Brunswick and love our team, the Habs.

We are quiet people, we weren't going there to cause trouble. We actually didn't even stand up when the Habs scored.

But we got called f-----g stupid Canadians, we were told to go back to Canada, I was called a French f-g — t — all that happened while the play was going on. Then between periods, I had to use the washroom. That was my biggest mistake. I was called the same, was shoved and punched. I'm surprised I got out of there without fighting, but I managed to find my way out. After that point I understood I had to stay in my seat, so I did.

After the final whistle, while people were walking out of their rows we stayed at our seats to let the crowd out, so we wouldn't have to deal with the fans. Then a fan just stood on top of my 98 pound, 4'11" girlfriend and spilled a full beer on top of her head while she was looking at him. Luckily, I didn't see this — she only told me after we left —because there would have been a guy flying off the balcony.

I paid $448 for two tickets, $240 for hotels, food, drinks, gas. Altogether, I brought over $1,000 to Boston. I realize that TD Garden is the home of the Bruins and Bruins fans love their hockey, but would I be wrong to say people like myself help the U.S. economy and should be thanked, and not disrespected? I wasn't expecting to get high fives for wearing a Montreal jersey, but I really didn't expect for my girlfriend to be disrespected that way. My girlfriend was a very sick woman for a year and all she did was watch hockey, that was the one thing that helped her. I live paycheque to paycheque and was saving for this, and to be honest had to be the worst three hours of my life. I regret every moment and every penny I spent over the weekend. Would I be wrong to say that better security is needed and people who do such thing thrown out of the building to set an example?

I want Canadians to know what to expect when they go to TD Garden.

Yves Leger

Moncton

Not sure what you have against Boston fans, but it's not any better in most cities.  There were plenty of Habs fans in my section the other night who were heckled a bit, but nothing beyond what you'd expect anywhere else wearing the opposing team's paraphernalia during a playoff game.  No worse than when I wear my teams' paraphernalia at an away game.  Sure, there are always bad apples everywhere that lead to stories like this, but that is no more common in Boston than it is in, say, Toronto.

Superfreakie

Look, you're missing the point. You see, we just don't like Boston. It's a wasteland of crass, belligerent pieces of shit. Southie this and Irish that; a corollary of having to impotently live in the shadow of one of the greatest metropolitan centers man has constructed. In fact, I don't think it is a stretch if one were to call it the asshole of America. It definitely smells like it.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

sls.stormyrider

think what you will about Boston
That kind of stuff is inexcusable, but we've all seen clips on ESPN from other NHL cities were similar shit happens.

I have been at several Sox - Jays games (for some reason, that is the team I most often have seen at Fenway) with guys and girls dressed in Jays shirts, cheering, etc, and no one bothers them.
I've cheered for the Rangers more than once at the Garden, and no one ever bothered me, although it wasn't the playoffs. I've been to games in NY, LI, Boston, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland (anyone remember them?) and have seen fights everywhere. Well, maybe not Cleveland, because there was no on at the game.

I wouldn't think of wearing a visiting jersey to any NHL arena.
I hate to say it, but hockey crowds can be a bit more - um, emotional.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

pcr3

Quote from: Superfreakie on May 16, 2014, 03:55:31 PM
Look, you're missing the point. You see, we just don't like Boston. It's a wasteland of crass, belligerent pieces of shit. Southie this and Irish that; a corollary of having to impotently live in the shadow of one of the greatest metropolitan centers man has constructed. In fact, I don't think it is a stretch if one were to call it the asshole of America. It definitely smells like it.

Sounds like you have Boston and New Jersey mixed up.  :-D

I am very defensive when it comes to this shit.  I think generalizations about populaces suck, and Boston has a rap as being home to bad sports fans and racists.  There are certainly some of both here, but that can be said about any place, and I don't think Boston is any worse (or better) than any other city.  People from outside of the area seem to think that it's worse here than where they are.  That is just not a fact.