News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whyweigh5.0

for any other vegans out there for the holiday...

It looks good so Im giving it a shot this thanksgiving

BRYANNA'S NEW VERSION OF SOY AND SEITAN "TURKEY"
Makes about 3 lbs.

The combination of tofu and soy or chickpea flour with the gluten makes a seitan that is tender, not rubbery, and which slices easily, even in VERY thin slices. The long kneading, resting, and slow-cooking method partially adapted from recipe by Ellen from http://www.ellenskitchen.com gives an incredible juicy, tender meat-like texture. This recipe makes outstanding sandwich material.

DRY MIX:
2 c. pure gluten powder (instant gluten flour; vital wheat gluten)
1/2 c. full-fat soy flour or chickpea flour
1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic granules
1/4 tsp. white pepper

WET MIX:
12 oz. firm regular (NOT silken) tofu
1 and 1/2 c. water
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. olive oil

BASTING BROTH:
2 c. hot water
1/3 c. "chicken-style" vegetarian broth powder
2 T. olive oil
OPTIONAL: 4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2-1 tsp. poultry herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary), crushed well

1) For the Wet Mix, in a blender, blend all the ingredients until very smooth.

2)  Mix the Dry Mix ingredients in the bowl of your electric mixer with dough hook attachment, or place them in the bread machine in the order given. Add the Wet Mix and knead for about 10 minutes. (If your bread machine has a dough cycle-two kneads with a long rest in between-use that cycle. Otherwise, just run it through the kneading part and then unplug it and let it rest in the cover container, then plug it in again for another knead, then remove it,) Let rest for about 1 hour, covered. You can make your Cooking Broth at this time and have it ready. Then knead it for 10 more minutes.

3) (NOTE: You can knead by hand, too, but it's tougher than bread dough. You may want to let the seitan dough sit for a while to soak up the liquid more thoroughly before you starting hand-kneading.)

4) The dough should be quite shiny and smooth. Avoid breaking it up when you take it out of the bowl. NOTE: I like to line the pan with cooking parchment to avoid sticking and tearing, and make the loaves easier to turn, by whichever method.

5) COOKING METHOD #1.) Flatten the dough out into a long piece. Form the dough into one large loaf. Place into a oval greased clay cooker or claypot that has been soaked for 15 minutes in cold water (bottom and cover), and lined with cooking parchment. DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN. Pour the cooking broth over the roast, and cover. Place in oven and turn to 325 degrees. F. Bake for 3 and 1/2 hours, turning the roast over twice (ALTERNATE TO THIS METHOD: If you don't have a clay cooker, you can use an ordinary oval meat or turkey roaster, medium size, with a cover. PREHEAT THE OVEN FIRST WITH THIS PAN.)

6) COOKING METHOD #2.) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Flatten the dough out into a long piece and cut in half equally to make two rectangles. Form into 2 loaves. Place each loaf in an oiled 8 and1/2" x 4 and 1/2" loaf pan and press down a bit with your hand. Mix the Cooking Broth ingredients in a small bowl and pour 1/2 over each loaf. Cover each loaf pan with foil and place in the oven. Immediately reduce the oven heat to 200 degrees F. Bake for 3 hours. Turn the loaves over, carefully loosening around the edges and from the bottom with a small, thin spatula first. The loaves will have puffed up quite a bit by now, but they will flatten out as they cook further. Turn heat back to 325 degrees F. Cover loaves and bake for 30 minutes. Turn them over again, cover and bake 15 minutes. Turn them over again and bake 15 more minutes, covered. Turn them over one last time and bake 5-10 minutes.

7 ) Either way, the loaves should almost completely soak up the broth by the end of the cooking time. If they don't, cook until they do. There will be a bit of sticky "sauce" left in the bottom, which you can use to glaze the loaves. Remove from the pans and serve, or let cool. Seitan is generally better when cooled first, then reheated-it firms up. So, it's a good idea to make it a day or more before serving. Can be frozen.

8) IF YOU WANT A "SKIN" ON THE "TURKEY", bake the "turkey as directed above. Then it has to be bake again with the "skin", but the pre-baking can be done several days ahead of time.

You will need 2-4 large sheets of dried or fresh (probably frozen) Chinese beancurd skin (yuba in Japanese). This product is simply the "skin" that forms on the top of soymilk when it is heated (just as it does with ordinary milk). The "skin" is lifted off and dried, and is considered a delicacy in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. In its dried form, it keeps for a long time, as long as it is stored airtight. When reconstituted, wrapped around tofu or other fillings, and baked, it becomes delicately crispy.

Soak the dried beancurd skin in warm water to cover while you make the assemble the "turkey". If you are using fresh or frozen, fresh yuba, thaw it out, if necessary. If it is pliable, you can use it "as is". If it seems a bit dry and hard to fold, etc., then dip it in warm wate for a minute—just to soften. If you leave it in the water too long, it will start falling apart.

Oil a baking pan that the "turkey" fits into with a little room to spare, or a cookie sheet with sides (jelly roll pan) with the Chinese sesame oil. Line another pan, such as a cookie sheet, with the prepared beancurd skin, overlapping if necessary to make it big enough to cover the whole "turkey". (There will be overhang—this is good.) Place the roasted "turkey" on top. Fold the overhanging beancurd skin over the "turkey" to cover. Brush with olive and/or Chinese roasted sesame oil. Now invert th ewrapped "turkey" onto the prepared baking pan. If made ahead, cover the pan and refrigerate until baking time.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the "Turkey", uncovered, for about 1 hour, or til golden and crispy, basting now and then with oil (olive/sesame oil combination). Loosen the edges carefully and slide it onto a serving plate.

here is a link to the recipe and others http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/page/1435893.htm

happy turkey day
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

tet

ugh...

all you vegans and vegetarians will learn your lesson when plants learn how to scream...   :evil: :samurai:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ucusty

SPAETZLE   

4 cups flour
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
1/2-3/4 cup water

On a clean work surface or pastry board, measure out 4 cups flour in the shape of a mountain. Make a well in the center of the flour and add the eggs, salt, and water. Using the tips of your fingers, quickly work small amounts of the flour from the inner walls of the well, stirring flour into the center and mixing until a stiff dough (paste, for "pasta") is achieved. If dough is too sticky, add a little flour.
Knead dough until smooth. Sprinkle with a few drops of water, if needed. Place dough under a bowl on work surface and allow to rest for 20-30 minutes.

Clean work surface (a dough scraper works nicely, or you can use the straight edge of a spatula). Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt when boiling starts.

Sprinkle clean work surface lightly with flour. Roll dough out thinly and cut slice dough into small bits using a sharp knife. Or use a pasta roller and noodle slicer, if desired. Sprinkle dough lightly with flour before rolling.

Drop spaetzle into boiling salted water. When they are done , they will rise to the surface. Scoop them off the top with a slotted spoon or skimmer.   Drop the noodles in ice water to stop the cooking process.  Strain of cold water.  Next when ready to eat heat up a saute pan with whole butter, and heat noodles. add salt, paprika and fresh parsley.

jedifunk

welp, this thread kinda died.... so im bringin it back!

i saw that phatyphil likes to cook, so i'm reviving this thread!  i love to cook too!

here's one i really like on a cold winters day... been making this one for a few years, and it just keeps getting better...

Thai Veg Green Curry
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup veg stock
- 1-5 Tsp green curry paste (add to spice level, i usually prefer 5+)
- 3 Tsp brown sugar (add to taste... sometimes i like this super curry so i lay off, other times i like it really sweet and yummy and i do at least 4-5 Tsp)
- handful of fresh basil (thai or otherwise), finely chopped
- veggies, chopped into nice 1" pieces... goes well with lots of different kinds.  i typically do peppers (red, yellow, green, or orange) peas (always peas), brocolli, zucchini.
- if you like, shrimp can be a good addition, but i usually do it veggie for the wife ;)
- rice... make accordingly to # of people, i usually make a little more as i love plain rice

mix coconut milk, veg stock, curry, basil & sugar in med sauce pot, bring to boil, then lower heat to a simmer.  simmer 15 minutes.  add veggies and simmer another 5-10 till the veggies are tender...  serve over rice.

this recipe is all about taste, so when cooking it make sure to add/subtract from the base on what tastes good to you... like i said sometimes i like it sweet other times very curry...

and its great the next day as leftovers, cold... the wife says its better that way.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ucusty

figured you guys/girl could try this out while your watching the tourney

Hot wing sauce

1 can jalapenos
1 bottle chulula hot sauce
1 larger bottle texas pete hot sauce
2 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 sticks butter
2 tsp cayenne (optional)
1small can pureed chipoltes (Optional)

puree jalpenos save juice mix all ingreidients together.  then melt butter and slowy slowy slowy whisk it in (do not pour all the butter in at once) add salt . 

jephrey

Have you made that hot sauce before?  I'm curious on a review, and I like shit burnin, so I may add powdered habenero.  Chulula is the bomb -- So good, I go through it pretty fast.  All that butter sounds awesome too.  What kinda sauce is the texas pete just in case my store doesn't carry it?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

chulula is the bomb for sure!  i love that stuff!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

ucusty

Quote from: jephrey on March 15, 2007, 10:35:46 PM
Have you made that hot sauce before?  I'm curious on a review, and I like shit burnin, so I may add powdered habenero.  Chulula is the bomb -- So good, I go through it pretty fast.  All that butter sounds awesome too.  What kinda sauce is the texas pete just in case my store doesn't carry it?

J

yes i use/make it all the time!!!!   texas pete is a hot sauce (not the texas pete wing sauce) you should ble to get it in Illinois

my new thing is buffalo pierogis!  that shit is bomb

redrum

CINNAMON TOAST CRUNCH + VERY VANILLA SILK SOY MILK = trust me on this one.

are you experienced?

any vouchers on this one?
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

redrum

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on April 29, 2007, 01:12:33 AM
mmmm... i AM experienced.

:banana:       :clap:          :banana:         

we've officially bonded.

:beers:

nice ta meet ya.  :-)

---

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: reddrum on April 29, 2007, 01:21:03 AM

:banana:       :clap:          :banana:         

we've officially bonded.

:beers:

nice ta meet ya.  :-)

that's amaazing :)
right back at you!

K+ for my new friends  :-D :beers: :banana:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

redrum

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on April 29, 2007, 01:25:35 AM
that's amaazing :)
right back at you!

K+ for my new friends  :-D :beers: :banana:

k+ right backatchyou too sis!

CTC for life baby!

if i had a k+ for every bowl of CTCrunch i've ever had, my computer would explode.  :lol:

---

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: reddrum on April 29, 2007, 11:17:10 AM

CTC for life baby!

ctcrunch.... i like that... good call  :-)

mattstick

Vector + Vanilla Soy Milk should be illegal.