News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

College Football 2010

Started by antelope19, September 07, 2010, 03:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guyforget

i wasnt pulling for either team, but as a fan of football, i thought that call at the end on the runner not being down was completely whack.  no way that a ref on the field could see that the knee wasnt down when he was tackled.  dude running the ball thought he was down, he got up and thought the play was over.  that play shoulda been whistled dead.  i think that if a defensive player grabs an offensive player and throws him to the ground and rolls him over, he's down, no matter what part of his body touches the ground or doesnt.
-AD_

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: guyforget on January 11, 2011, 01:07:13 PM
i wasnt pulling for either team, but as a fan of football, i thought that call at the end on the runner not being down was completely whack.  no way that a ref on the field could see that the knee wasnt down when he was tackled.  dude running the ball thought he was down, he got up and thought the play was over.  that play shoulda been whistled dead.  i think that if a defensive player grabs an offensive player and throws him to the ground and rolls him over, he's down, no matter what part of his body touches the ground or doesnt.

Totally whack, but it was right.  I'm with you that it was ultimately a disadvantage to Oregon.  I get amazed sometimes at what the refs can see in real time.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

guyforget

no way a ref knew the knee wasnt down in real time, i cant buy it.  no way. 

even if he did, i still think the guy shoulda been down, regardless.  a defensive player grabbed the ball carrier and threw him to the ground, rolled him over, and let him go.  the offensive player thought he was down.  whistle shoulda been blown. 
-AD_

qop24

When the ref's job is to look for the knee hitting the ground and where the ball is when the knee is down, there's no reason to blow a whistle just because a couple of players thought otherwise. If a whistle had been blown, they would be taking a lot of shit for calling a play dead that wasn't. I get that being thrown down like that would signal that he was down, but the rule clearly states that a knee has to touch the ground (and that was one hell of an effort by the auburn player to keep his knees up)
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

guyforget

he didnt know he kept his knee up!

they had to review the TD a couple plays later and recall it when the ref didnt see a knee go down, so the thought that a ref is infallible is silly, they have reviews for a reason. 

knee down or not, the guy got tackled and both teams stopped, including the runner w/ the ball.  everything else is a "technicality" in my opinion and no way to watch the nat'l championship go down. 

-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: blatboom on January 11, 2011, 12:30:08 PM
Quote from: Igbo on January 11, 2011, 08:45:37 AM
Was hoping for Oregon to win so i could hear that JPhishman's face melted, sorry Bro.

Was an exciting game though nonetheless. Since i dont follow college football, has Auburn's D-Line been that tough all year to stop Oregon's run gam like they did? It seemed like to me Oregon just couldnt get the run going at all.

Oh and imo, Cam Newton wont do much in the NFL. Put it in the books.
Auburn overall vastly outsized Oregon.  I couldn't believe Oregon kept trying to work the run game to the inside, especially on that goal line stand where they kept getting stuffed.

No doubt, it got to the point where they were literally banging their heads against a wall.

Then they finally did something different with the shovel pass and lo and behold they scored. 

Of course by that time it was too little too late. 

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

:-(

Hell of a game. I hate that it came down to that play but I'm not gonna point to that. They beat us. Super proud of our guys though. Amazing season.

Keep your eye on us folks. We'll be back.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

postjack

Quote from: qop24 on January 11, 2011, 01:59:49 PM
When the ref's job is to look for the knee hitting the ground and where the ball is when the knee is down, there's no reason to blow a whistle just because a couple of players thought otherwise. If a whistle had been blown, they would be taking a lot of shit for calling a play dead that wasn't. I get that being thrown down like that would signal that he was down, but the rule clearly states that a knee has to touch the ground (and that was one hell of an effort by the auburn player to keep his knees up)

yes, there has to be a point where it is either black or white, where either something is (play dead) or isn't. in this case the knee didn't touch the ground, the play isn't over. Take it back to the safety. That oregon player busted his ass to try and get that ball outside of the inzone when he was tackled, but he just didn't. You have to draw a line somewhere, even if it takes some of the game out of the game, which is why I get where guyforget is coming from, it is kind of a bummer when a play that is so clutch comes off because of such a small black and white issue, but it is what it is. Ball wasn't dead, period.

oregon played a hell of a game. i believe i will find myself rooting for the ducks at some point in the future.

still hard to believe I graduated from a college that just won the championship. my parents actually drove from Mobile, AL to watch the game. funny, more then anything else I wanted to win it so my parents didn't drive all that way to watch Auburn lose. :-D

Two things are for sure: Auburn will have a bad season next year :tte:, but a team from the SEC will win the BCS! :wtu:
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

zimbra

Texas AT&M going to the SEC??   :-o
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio