News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jazzfest 2012, or the all things NOLA thread

Started by postjack, October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postjack

Hey now!

Roll Call:
postjack
PIE-GUY
goodabouthood
jphishman
aphineday

www.nojazzfest.com
www.swagland.com
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 19, 2011, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: postjack on October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM
Hey now!

Roll Call:
postjack

In.

HA! Now this is a really early roll call thread! Its funny, flying back last weekend I was thinking, I might sit out 2012....that lasted all of 3 or 4 days, once I was all caught up and recovered, I thought Who the fuck am I fooling? IN!  :beers:

Also, me and JP were talking about this, but if we get a big enough group, maybe we can score a sweet spot using vrbo or airbnb, just a  thought.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

postjack

Quote from: goodabouthood on October 24, 2011, 01:31:19 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 19, 2011, 11:53:46 PM
Quote from: postjack on October 19, 2011, 11:24:11 PM
Hey now!

Roll Call:
postjack

In.

HA! Now this is a really early roll call thread! Its funny, flying back last weekend I was thinking, I might sit out 2012....that lasted all of 3 or 4 days, once I was all caught up and recovered, I thought Who the fuck am I fooling? IN!  :beers:

Also, me and JP were talking about this, but if we get a big enough group, maybe we can score a sweet spot using vrbo or airbnb, just a  thought.

IIRC I started last years in September, because that's when we heard our first BNA rumor (Kenny G) :)
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

ph92

I definitely wanna go to this, but idk how it'll work out, but we'll see/
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

PIE-GUY

gah

I don't know that anyone else would be interested in this but you jazzfest/nola folks, but next year (hopefully), there's going to be this documentary coming out on James Booker. Pretty stoked about this, since I've been hooked on his music for a few months now, anyhow, check the trailer:

PIE-GUY

nice!

Just got word that my buddy Nate is coming to first weekend this year with a big Krewe of buddies. Is it April yet????

gah

Quote from: PIE-GUY on December 01, 2011, 05:00:55 PM
nice!

Just got word that my buddy Nate is coming to first weekend this year with a big Krewe of buddies. Is it April yet????

Only 149 days to go!  :-D

BTW, also appropriate for upcoming shows thread, but I'm seeing Preservation Hall Jazz Band tonight. They're doing some mini tour called A Creole Christmas, which is probably going to be a bunch of holiday tunes, but still, whatever. I just hope they mix in some Basin St. Blues, Saints, Closer Walk with Thee or stuff like that...

PIE-GUY

JPhishman

Quote from: goodabouthood on December 01, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
nice!

BTW, also appropriate for upcoming shows thread, but I'm seeing Preservation Hall Jazz Band tonight. They're doing some mini tour called A Creole Christmas, which is probably going to be a bunch of holiday tunes, but still, whatever. I just hope they mix in some Basin St. Blues, Saints, Closer Walk with Thee or stuff like that...

Sweet. When I saw their 50th Anny show was happening at Carnegie Hall within a week of my being there I second guessed my plans a little. Decided coming through VA around 1/3,4,5 is gonna be the jam though.

:beers:
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gah

Quote from: JPhishman on December 01, 2011, 07:25:56 PM
Quote from: goodabouthood on December 01, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
nice!

Sweet. When I saw their 50th Anny show was happening at Carnegie Hall within a week of my being there I second guessed my plans a little. Decided coming through VA around 1/3,4,5 is gonna be the jam though.

:beers:

Yeah dude, that's gonna be a helluva show too, did you see the special guests?

ALLEN TOUSSAINT
BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA
DEL McCOURY BAND
GIVERS
MOS DEF
MY MORNING JACKET
TAO SEEGER
TROMBONE SHORTY

Tickets go on sale for that today. Anyhow, last night's show was great. They started with this 10-15 minute video on the history of Pres Hall, and then there was the performance, stage set up just like in the hall, except there was a baby grand instead of the old wooden upright piano. Also, they played a solid mix of tunes, only a couple holiday tunes in each set, 2 sets, sold out old timey theater, 4-5 minute standing ovation at the end, with them coming back out to encore with Saints, but it had a super long intro from the trumpet player to the point where you didn't recognize what they were gonna play, but then it became obvious when they all jumped it. Also it was the same musicians that we saw when we were down there, and the trombone played wa totally STILL phoning it in. everyone else was on point. I think the's got seniority or something and they're all ok with carrying him. Anyhow, good times...

UncleEbinezer

Any idea on your VA plans?  Other than dates?
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

JPhishman

Got a childhood friend that lives in Norfolk. Gonna spend some time with him and hang with paugers. Got nothin specific on tap beyond that.

Leaving it to u guys to lead me to the hetty brews...
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

gah

Quote from: JPhishman on December 02, 2011, 11:44:02 AM
Got a childhood friend that lives in Norfolk. Gonna spend some time with him and hang with paugers. Got nothin specific on tap beyond that.

Leaving it to u guys to lead me to the hetty brews...

Done.  :mrgreen: