News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Interview Thread

Started by redrum, January 02, 2009, 10:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

why have I never seen this until now!? (there's 4 parts)

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

This interview is awesome!  I've never really heard anything about Scott Herman, Tom Marshal's writing partner?

Also really cool to hear about the recording and songwriting process of Story of the Ghost
Bring in the dude!

mbw

this is the most uncomfortable interview ever.

4 akward dudes being interviewed by king akward himself.

PIE-GUY

Not a true "phish" interview, but I can't think of a better place to post this... Great interview!

http://www.jambands.com/features/2010/11/19/stuart-bogie-phish-fela-and-antibalas-overgrown-garden/

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Mr Minor

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on November 18, 2010, 01:29:39 PM

I remember seeing that on TV when it first aired and thougth the same thing.

Could have renamed it Awkward City Limits.

Hicks

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 22, 2010, 01:46:06 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on November 18, 2010, 01:29:39 PM

I remember seeing that on TV when it first aired and thougth the same thing.

Could have renamed it Awkward City Limits.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Mr Minor

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 22, 2010, 12:27:43 PM
Not a true "phish" interview, but I can't think of a better place to post this... Great interview!

http://www.jambands.com/features/2010/11/19/stuart-bogie-phish-fela-and-antibalas-overgrown-garden/

Interesting read.  Very interesting they asked him to play on the Stones last year.  Glad he didn't.  I thought he was terrible (just my opinion) on WfC this year and would have ruined the Stones set last year.  The Dap Kings lineup last year was great.  Should have brought them back this year...

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 22, 2010, 01:49:38 PM

Interesting read.  Very interesting they asked him to play on the Stones last year.  Glad he didn't.  I thought he was terrible (just my opinion) on WfC this year and would have ruined the Stones set last year.  The Dap Kings lineup last year was great.  Should have brought them back this year...

a) there was only one maybe two dap kings last year (in the horn section)
b) the dap kings and antibalas were basically the same overlapping bands at one point many years ago
c) you're fucking wrong about them being bad this year

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 22, 2010, 02:56:21 PM
Quote from: Mr Minor on November 22, 2010, 01:49:38 PM

a) there was only one maybe two dap kings last year (in the horn section)
b) the dap kings and antibalas were basically the same overlapping bands at one point many years ago
c) you're fucking wrong about them being bad this year

Yup - the trumpet player for Exile also played for WfC... he is a "Dap King" member. The others are all part of the Daptone extended family... and I agree with RJ when it comes to right and wrong (in this case, and, seemingly, in the majority of other cases, but certainly not always).

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

I do find it difficult to see how anyone could have thought that 2010's costume horn section was "terrible" - they sounded great. 

The horns have a rather loose feel to them on that record, perhaps that was mistaken for horrible.

Mr Minor

We can agree to disagree on the sax player.  I enjoyed the WfC set, but he was just not good on his solos, imo.  I didn't have a problem with "horn section" as a whole, just the sax player.  Everyone else was good sounding to me.
If you reread my post, I do not mention anything about anyone else.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on November 22, 2010, 03:13:57 PM
We can agree to disagree on the sax player.  I enjoyed the WfC set, but he was just not good on his solos, imo.  I didn't have a problem with "horn section" as a whole, just the sax player.  Everyone else was good sounding to me.
If you reread my post, I do not mention anything about anyone else.

Upon re-reading your post I still thing that you are fucking wrong.

Enjoy.

Pie-Guy, thanks for the link. That was a great read.

Igbo

Good read, thanks for posting Pieguy!

As far as his solos during WfC, i dont know since i havent heard the set or heard WfC as a record.

But as someone who has seen Antibalas and The DapKings for many years now, and have had chatted with and partied with Stuart, he is an amazing musician, very knowledgeable about music, and an all around good dude.

MiamiPhish

Well if nothing else, at least we can present our own opinions without curt judgment from others.

Oh, wait..

:shakehead:

rowjimmy

Seriously, though. Minor says that dudes solos were no good but they were good. They were exactly what they should have been and well within the spirit of the original record.

He furthur asserts that opinion as a basis for saying that stuart and co. would have sucked on Exile but knowing his work, I can confidently say that they would have played exactly what the gig required... This sort of rock horn stuff is not exactly a challenge for guys like that.