News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R11/W03: 06-14-1994 Des Moines Civic Center, Des Moines, IA

Started by ytowndan, January 24, 2011, 02:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Enjoy!  One of my favorites from this killer tour.

QuoteTuesday, 06/14/1994
Civic Center, Des Moines, IA

Soundcheck: Makisupa Policeman (different than usual; not reggae)

Set 1: Llama, Guelah Papyrus > Sweet Adeline > Digital Delay Loop Jam -> Guelah Papyrus, Rift, Down with Disease -> Fee -> My Friend, My Friend, Uncle Pen, I Didn't Know > My Sweet One > I Didn't Know, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Frankenstein, Demand > David Bowie, If I Could, It's Ice, Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself -> Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up, Possum

Encore: Sample in a Jar

Notes: After The Asse Festival segment of Guelah, the band launched into Adeline and then moved into a Digital Delay Loop Jam before finishing the song. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. YEM included On Broadway teases in both the jam and the vocal jam; it was also teased during Possum. HYHU segued out of the YEM vocal jam and included Fishman talking about how much he hates that song (though he has nothing personal against Argent, who wrote it). Possum also included Dave's Energy Guide teases.

Lossless ("Dankseed" AKG)
Lossy (Set One: "Dankseed" AKG, Set Two: SBD)

I don't have the lossless set two SBD.  Sorry.  If anyone does and wants to upload it, please do. 

Submitted Reviews:

1 - Augusten
2 - Pie Guy
3 - YTown
4 - Mirth
5 - MC Jezroc
6 - WTU
7 - Pnchundi
8 - McGrupp
9 - Sophist
10- Lifeboy
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

G. Augusto

G. Augusto

Llama - Little space before and during a part of Trey's solo. Mike is ultra active during this one. SER M Gun Trey.

Guelah - Pretty much a perfect version. After Asse comes >>>

Adeline - Really rad and odd placement. Using the attentiveness of the crowd early >>>

DDLJ - Was secretly hoping they would bust this out on the last NYE Run, but...no. >>>

Guelah - BOOM! One of my all time favorite sammies right there!

Rift - Took a leak.

Disease - Breakdown by Fish. Almost a VOL there by Mike. Great Page on this which really nudges Trey on. The very next Disease is a real winner and takes a page from this show with the Contact segue.

Fee - Emerges from the Disease feedback. I miss when Fish would do his pop right after "astonishing speed".  :-( Playful outro between Mike and Trey. Kinda goes into >>>

My Friend - OK composed section. Mostly Mike's doing!

UPenn - Blazin' Trey.

IDK - Fizeek. Madonna washboard >>>

MSO - Pretty cool right here. Again, utilizing the quiet crowd to their advantage. >>>IDK.

Split - Mike starts the jam and the band follows. Chaotic with a nice return to the main theme.

Perfect set and flow.

Frank - Back in the rotation after the YUGE RR bustout. 1st time in an opener slot. Virtually flawless, too.

Demand - Remember when Trey brought this back as per my request? Yup.

Bowie - Awesome composed sections. Loads of tension throughout the jam but doesn't get too far out there. Great hit on the ending.

Could - Love the later '94 versions, but this one is nice. Still really new and still feeling out what they could do with the "jam" section.

Ice/Sparkle - Both well played.

YEM - Meaty start to the jam. Heavy jamming that eventually leads into the full On Broadway teases. Turns into a major key jam for the peak. Mike drops some more subtle OB teases throughout the DnB section. Vocal jam into >>>

HYHU/Bike - He hates this song. Bring back Cold As Ice!

Possum - Quiet verses. More OB teases to start jam. Solid version and great cap to the set.

Sample - Already in the lot.

Great pick.
B+/A-

WhatstheUse?

Probably only heard this show once or twice before and am only really familiar with the Guelah portion ----->

Set 1

Llama - Love me a Llama opener. This one rages properly -- oh for it to be 94 again...

Guelah - Very well played. >>>

Adeline - Bad ass placement.  The Shhh'ers are in full force! >>>

DDLJ - I love this little jaunty, I found myself wishing it were a much longer jam >>>>

Guelah - and we're back! Great job Phish.

Rift - Fishman is a man mad, how does he even hold down that beat so fast?!  Trey nails it!

DWD - I'll never get sick of this song.  This one rips (of course, it's 94).  It kind of surprises me that Disease went so long without really getting jammed out much -- basically every version from the first couple years it was played is bursting at the seams with exuberance... how did they hold back?!  >>>

Fee - Always welcome, especially with the megaphone. I really like Mike's work on the outro (basically 2 notes)

My Friend My Friend - Love this song, so fun to see live.  A few flubs in the composed section - Fishman seemed like he was rocking out extra hard though.  The buildups used to be so much more raw and badass... this one is pure evil!

Uncle Pen - Possibly my favorite bluegrass tune Phish plays. Splendid version!

IDK - Would have been a real fun one... WASHBOARD SOLO! >>>>>

My Sweet One - HA! I wasn't expecting that -- awesome! What is page playing for his solo? .....................(OOOUUUCCCHHH!!!!!!! I forgot to turn my speakers back down before the crowd scream)>>>>

IDK - Where's thatfargone been anyways? We need some fresh hate!

Split - Was great. Trey really picks it up at around 6:00 ...wooohoooo for diisssoonnnaanncceee!!!!!! Great work by Mike, he does such a good job of filling in behind Trey's dissonance. Pretty short and sweet (under 10 min) but jampacked with goodness.  This is why you probably never heard people complain about short jamz like they do now.

Like Aug said, Super solid set and pretty flawless flow. 

Set 2

Frankenstein > Demand -  Pretty obscure way to start a second set if ya ask me, not that that is a bad thing.. I'd be psyched >>>>

Bowie - So on point w/ the composed section. Trey jumps onto an idea right out of the gate and builds off that --- lots of darkness and this this jam is getting FAST---> Trey gives me a boner. The end.

If I Could - Cooool dooowwn. Beautiful solo, but I kinda prefer the slower building ones >>>

Ice - Like the funky groove they get going for a sec

Sparkle - Not especially psyched on the placement, but I don't dis-like this song.  It was nice when Trey could actually play it properly wasn't it?

YEM - Love the little break down to start the jam with drum fills. On Broadway teases, FTW!  Really sick jam that explodes from quiet>rage within a measure. Fishman hits the China a bunch so we know they peaked >>>> Mike w/ more teases in the B&D section -- Fantastic version.

HYHU/Bike - Started from the end of the vocal jam! Fitting for a fun show some antics/acoustic/acapella/teases etc.

Possum - I like this as a closer, especially when they rage like they do in 94. More On Broadway teases! What happened to this guitar player?

Sample - PIE-GUY is pissed!

Solid, solid show top to bottom.  I actually dug the first set more than the second, mostly for the song selection and butter flow.  No real big jams to speak of but it was 94 so they were awesome anyways.

Good pick. I give it B.
Bring in the dude!

justjezmund

6/14/94

I

Llama - rage to open.

Guelah>adeline>guelah - love the digi jam and dropping right back into feeding arachnids, great silken tunnel.

Rift - I love it when they nail this song, and they did so there ya go.

DWD - I miss short diseases that don’t suck. 

Fee - Have a cup of coffee and catch your breath, then hit the deck.

MFMF - mid set spooky anyone?

Uncle Pen - Cant be 94 without bluegrass.  Like this diddy too.

I didn’t know>sweet one>I didn’t know - another shhhh fest sandwich.  Love pages part during sweet one,  accordion FTW.  Washboard solo instead of vac is okay with me too.

MELT - trey flubs opening lyric a tad, meh.  Nothing spectacular but comes back with a nice peak. 

II

Frankenstein - Cool hard hittin set opener.

Demand - throwing beer cans down the stairs…..

Bowie - love treys theme throughout,  this version delivers.

If I could - The moving mellowness makes me smile.

ICE - More nailed rift material.  Solid stuff here.

Sparkle - Laugh and laugh

YEM - More solids.  Broadways teases are cool too, they bring a nice jam to this as well. 

HYHU>BIKE>HYHU - I HATE THIS SONG!!  Syd songs FTW.  And bike brings the coolest vac solos every time if ya ask me. 
Possum - more broadway stuff.  This delivers as well.

Sample - im either getting a beer or a balloon in the lot.

Overall I like this show.  First set is killer fun imo.  Second set is a little lacking besides the bowie which I like.  Still cant hate on it though.

Overall I say B/B+  Thanks for the pick Dan.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

pnchundi

I am bit behind as the entire family got a stomach bug and spent the second half of the week puking! yeah for us.

llama- super intense right from the beginning.
guelah- really tight and lots going on. 
adeline- i couldnt hear shit except the SHHHHHS
delay jam/guelah- fucking sweet.  And just when you think they forgot about the second half of guelah, it comes out swinging
rift- high energy and just about perfect
dwd- i love mike's sound at the beginning of this.  This one rips start to finish
fee- good placement
mfmf-
uncle penn- listen to trey
IDK/Sweet One- more Sushing
Melt- This takes off at full speed after 4 mins.  Trey is running up and down the scales, but listen to page and mike.  Page is doing some crazy dissonant shit while Mike is quietly stealing the scene.  Sweet peak.

Just about a perfect first set for 94.  But if they had tried this in 98 or 99, we would be pooh pahing it because its sort of stop start flow wise.  Throw in a couple of intense jams and I give it an A.

rowjimmy

Great pick. Shaping up to be the best show-club evar!

I
Llama is a certified ripper. Need some rippage? Let this be your source.
Guelah > asse Fest is great. Nailed. Sweet Adeline, DDLJam in there too?! Cool. After finishing Guelah, we have Rift Off! Nice version of Rift.
Disease has a nice trippy intro that is promptly followed by intense bouts of rocking the fuck out. that sneaks into Fee which is always a good thing. Cool Mike stuff on the outro before MFMF kicks in.

Uncle Pen kills in 1994.
/just sayin'

IDK was ok.

Split rawks. Gets just a bit weird and has some serious shredding.

Set the second.
Frankenstein is nailed and Demand is awesome and drops directly into the hi-hat intro for Bowie.
This is a fairly textbook Bowie but the book is so good that you can't possibly complain. Phish in '94 could melt faces simply by playing the songs correctly.

If I Could is properly pretty. Yay, Page! That guitar guy is good too.
It's Ice is excellent madness. Sparkle is quick and shit.
YEM... It's a strong groovy version. Not out of the norm until the On Broadway teases kick in. That shit is kinda cool. Lotta rawk & rage in this version. Hot like fire.

HYHU > Bike > HYHU - nice break from common sense and reality.

Possum closes this bitch out with some more Broadway stuff and a degree of rippage.

Then they encored with Sample.

Nice pick.
Would listen again.

McGrupp

I'll have my review up when I get back from class...

Gotta stop slacking on the show club!!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

rowjimmy

Quote from: McGrupp on January 31, 2011, 10:00:29 AM

SER.

I gave you my slot but I'm doing better than you.
Don't fuck up or I'm taking it back.

McGrupp

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 31, 2011, 10:40:55 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on January 31, 2011, 10:00:29 AM

SER.

I've been all  :tte:

But i'm about to be all  :wtu:

Won't let ya down, rj
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 31, 2011, 10:40:55 AM

SER.

That's what she said?
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

sophist

QuoteTuesday, 06/14/1994

Soundcheck: Makisupa Policeman (different than usual; not reggae)

Set 1: Llama, Guelah Papyrus > Sweet Adeline > Digital Delay Loop Jam -> Guelah Papyrus, Rift, Down with Disease -> Fee -> My Friend, My Friend, Uncle Pen, I Didn't Know > My Sweet One > I Didn't Know, Split Open and Melt

Set 2: Frankenstein, Demand > David Bowie, If I Could, It's Ice, Sparkle, You Enjoy Myself -> Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up, Possum

Encore: Sample in a Jar

Notes: After The Asse Festival segment of Guelah, the band launched into Adeline and then moved into a Digital Delay Loop Jam before finishing the song. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. YEM included On Broadway teases in both the jam and the vocal jam; it was also teased during Possum. HYHU segued out of the YEM vocal jam and included Fishman talking about how much he hates that song (though he has nothing personal against Argent, who wrote it). Possum also included Dave's Energy Guide teases.

First Set:
Llama is a always a treat as a set opener, and this one rages.  Searing run of awesome by Trey in the jam section of the song. This Guelah is the shit.  LOVE IT.  Rift is near perfect.  Excellent placement.  DWD is solid, some great soloing by Trey.  Fee is solid as well, nice little drop in segue into MFMF.  Great version of that as well.  Uncle Pen is solid as well.  IDK > My Sweet One > IDK was bad ass as well.  This SOAM set I closer is fucking epic.  This is a MELT.  Holy 6 string diminished runs Batman.  Great first set.  A-/B+

Second Set:
Frankenstein opener?  I'm used to the 3.0 placement of late second set or encore that this threw me for a loop for a moment.  Great version.  Demand -> Bowie.  Epic tandem here.  This Bowie straight rages.  Some killer rhythmic and tonal interplay in this version.  Def face melt worthy.  If I Could through Sparkle is standard.  I dug it though.  The YEM is an all time version in my book.  Some very meaty jamming.  Meh for me for HYHU > Bike > HYHU.  Just not a fan of this part of the show.  Great version of Possum, I really dig the DEG teases in it. 

Encore:
Sample- meh. 

Overall I liked set I more than set II.  Set II is slightly weaker B/B+ range.  I say the show gets a B/B+ grade.  Good pick, and thanks for sharing. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!