News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars

Started by redrum, December 30, 2007, 05:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I got the De-specialized version of Empire over the weekend, next time I'm home sick or something I'm going to watch.

VDB

Empire is the least offensive of the special editions, of course. (Except for some of the more over-exuberant Cloud City CGI.) This is probably, and not coincidentally, because it was the best of the three in the first place.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 02, 2014, 07:57:08 PM
Empire is the least offensive of the special editions, of course. (Except for some of the more over-exuberant Cloud City CGI.) This is probably, and not coincidentally, because it was the best of the three in the first place.

Truth.   I even like the Cloud City stuff. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

justjezmund

Quote from: Hicks on September 02, 2014, 10:32:59 PM

Entirely more tolerable than any of the cgi in hew hope.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

rowjimmy

Quote from: justjezmund on September 02, 2014, 11:02:12 PM

-k for not simply calling it "Star Wars".

jedifunk

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 03, 2014, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: justjezmund on September 02, 2014, 11:02:12 PM

-k for not simply calling it "Star Wars".
this
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

VDB

Part of the problem (maybe the main problem) with the CGI in the special editions is that it doesn't match the look of the films. There's a very analog look to them, because they were made in an analog age: actual props, optical compositing, matte paintings, puppets... So just sticking a CGI sequence in there, even if it looks fine on its own, is discontinuous. I don't mind so much some of the cleanup (e.g. removing the smear under Luke's landspeeder, fixing opacity and outline issues with compositing) that otherwise preserves the original visual intent.
Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 03, 2014, 09:26:15 PM
Part of the problem (maybe the main problem) with the CGI in the special editions is that it doesn't match the look of the films. There's a very analog look to them, because they were made in an analog age: actual props, optical compositing, matte paintings, puppets... So just sticking a CGI sequence in there, even if it looks fine on its own, is discontinuous. I don't mind so much some of the cleanup (e.g. removing the smear under Luke's landspeeder, fixing opacity and outline issues with compositing) that otherwise preserves the original visual intent.

I agree with this.  And I think the despecialized versions above *do* keep at least some of the cleanup parts you mentioned.

VDB

Is that so? I thought the intention was to present the movies as theater audiences saw them back when.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 04, 2014, 08:00:52 PM
Is that so? I thought the intention was to present the movies as theater audiences saw them back when.
I think the intention is to give you the most clean version of the movie as theater audiences saw them back in the day. Minus all of george lucas's 'better making' and 'if i had had the money's.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

kellerb

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 04, 2014, 08:00:52 PM

There's a long discussion somewhere (non-paug) about what exactly he did - check that out for details from the horse's mouth. 

I think the jist of it is that he cleaned up (or left cleaned up) some blurring and evidence of effects from the original (matte lines, etc.)

rowjimmy

New info for the Stand-Alone movie as well as Ep VIII

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-is-the-first-star-wars-stand-alone-film-rian-johnson-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-viii?linkId=12857863

This morning at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco, across the street from Lucasfilm, Disney chairman and CEO Bob Iger hosted a shareholder meeting where he announced news regarding the first Star Wars stand-alone movie as well as Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

In addition, Iger confirmed that Rian Johnson will write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII. The film, which continues the saga after the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is set for release on May 26, 2017 — forty years and a day after the release of Star Wars: A New Hope in 1977. Johnson is widely considered one of cinema's most gifted young filmmakers, having directed the modern sci-fi classic, Looper, as well as Brick and The Brothers Bloom. He was also behind the camera for three episodes of the critically-acclaimed TV series Breaking Bad, including "Ozymandias," which series creator Vince Gilligan named as the best installment of the show. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman, producer of Looper, Don Jon, Brick, and The Brothers Bloom, are on board to produce.

emay

rowjimmy

Looks like all good news to me.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 12, 2015, 01:55:36 PM
Looks like all good news to me.

QFT

That Ozymandias episode of Breaking Bad was great, and Brick was a pretty good movie.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.