News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Bonnaroo Bitchfest

Started by postjack, February 09, 2010, 10:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postjack

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 09, 2010, 09:19:04 AM
Quote from: mattstick on February 09, 2010, 09:14:57 AM

Thanks Bonnaroo for doing this on MySpace.  1996 called and wants it's HTML back.

Even stupider is that the splash page on their website which tells you to go to their myspace doesn't even link to freaking myspace.

well if you think about it, the spirit of Bonnaroo really is inconvenience. Inconvenient crowds, weather, venue, traffic, and camping.  might as well make accessing the lineup a pain in the ass as well.

about the only convenient part is the ease with which one can buy a knot from a gang member.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

McGrupp

Quote from: postjack on February 09, 2010, 10:35:08 AM

Thanks Bonnaroo for doing this on MySpace.  1996 called and wants it's HTML back.

Even stupider is that the splash page on their website which tells you to go to their myspace doesn't even link to freaking myspace.

well if you think about it, the spirit of Bonnaroo really is inconvenience. Inconvenient crowds, weather, venue, traffic, and camping.  might as well make accessing the lineup a pain in the ass as well.

about the only convenient part is the ease with which one can buy a knot from a gang member.

Nice 666'th!
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

mattstick

I don't really think Bonnaroo is inconvient at all, in fact bringing huge acts to a few stages for 4-straight days is pretty convienent if you ask me.

If you want to see a festival with a pretty shitty lineup, it might be pretty easy to get around, but you'll have a shitty time... not very convienent.

Really?

rowjimmy

Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps you could save your hate for things about which you have some knowledge.

McGrupp

Not trying to argue here but one could argue pretty easily that Bonnaroo is inconvenient.

I was in the Guest camping area so getting in and out was no problem for me, but everyone else I knew who went this past summer spent around 6 or more hours waiting in line to get into the fest. Factor in that getting into centeroo can be a total hassle, navigating the HUGE fest grounds ain't too easy, and if you're camped far away it can be a pain in the ass to walk 30 minutes in the hot sun JUST to get to centeroo. Not to mention, good luck getting close to the main stage. That is, unless you want to stake out a spot and not move for 5 hours...

I like the small fests.

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

rowjimmy

Having been to bonnaroo and a ton of other fests, the only thing more convenient is a tiny fest with a ton of shitty bands (and more limited amenities) or staying home and bitching about it.

GTFO of this thread if you are just here to bitch.

Take it to the There Goes The Neighborhood area.

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on February 09, 2010, 10:58:05 AM
everyone else I knew who went this past summer spent around 6 or more hours waiting in line to get into the fest.

That's no so bad, plus there is Bonnaroo radio to listen to - after all they are trying to park 50,000+ cars in 48 hours, you have to expect some traffic.

Don't like it?  VIP has no traffic.

Factor in that getting into centeroo can be a total hassle,

There are two entrances, and if you try to go in at the wrong time you can stand in line for like (OMG) 10 minutes.

Don't like it?  VIP has no in/out lines.

navigating the HUGE fest grounds ain't too easy,

I can walk from "The Other Tent" to "What Stage" in less than 10 minutes - that's the furthest you'll ever have to walk inside Centeroo - again, not that bad.

and if you're camped far away it can be a pain in the ass to walk 30 minutes in the hot sun JUST to get to centeroo.

They have shuttles now.

Don't like it?  VIP camping is right behind the main stage.

Not to mention, good luck getting close to the main stage. That is, unless you want to stake out a spot and not move for 5 hours...

Unless you're trying to walk right up to the stage during a headliner, you can always get close enough to get to a spot where you can see the stage and the sound is perfect.

Don't like it?  The VIP area on the hill is a good place to catch the show.

I like the small fests.

I associate small fests with mediocre jambands, mostly because that's who play them.  You don't see Neil Young, Herbie Hancock or Radiohead at small fests, and that's why Bonnaroo is best.

McGrupp

Hey, I had a good time at roo last year. I would consider going again this year if phish is there.

As I said, I wasn't trying to stir the pot - however, I wouldn't call Bonnaroo the easiest fest for getting around. It's huge, and there are both pros (more acts) and cons (time spent getting around) to that...

edit to add: I like your VIP suggestions - like I said I was in Guest last year which is actually closer than VIP (and has its own really close entrance to the main stage). I had a great time at roo last year, but it's huge and without the sorts of amenities I had last year I can't see myself doing it again.

but re: the VIP thing - good suggestions, but certainly not on my budget.

Buffalo Budd

I have experienced all of the things you guys are complaining about at the 5 Phish fests I've attended.  I think it's just the fact of the matter when you're dealing with large crowds gathered for good music.  I have no problem walking 30 mins for 3 sets of Phish or (insert your fav band here).  I have even been know to walk said 30 mins back to camp to refuel and get back during setbreak. :beerbang:
If you don't like these 'inconveniences', it may be best to get a VIP pass or watch the stream from home.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

postjack

easy folks, I've been to Roo twice several years ago and always had a great time. I'm excited to see the lineup come out as well. my comments were based on my experience, yes, unfortunately even the knot one.

Roo is a lot of fun, and truly amazing things happen there, but it's a tough argument to make that it is NOT a hot, sweaty, crowded , pain in the ass. doesn't mean I am not a fan of the fest or that I wouldn't attend if I loved the lineup and had the means.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

McGrupp

You guys get really defensive about bonnaroo  :angel: :wink:

mattstick

Coventry was an inconvience, Bonnaroo is a rock festival.

redrum

Quote from: McGrupp on February 09, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

i came so close to saying, "i love how defensive people get about bonerzoo"  :wtu:
but chose to exit thread instead. mcgrupp's fault.   :police:
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on February 09, 2010, 11:16:39 AM

Coventry was an inconvience, Bonnaroo is a rock festival.
Well, in my experience, Coventry was the exception.  I've never been inconvenienced like that before and hope that never happens again.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

McGrupp

Quote from: redrum on February 09, 2010, 11:18:48 AM
Quote from: McGrupp on February 09, 2010, 11:15:35 AM

i came so close to saying, "i love how defensive people get about bonerzoo"  :wtu:
but chose to exit thread instead. mcgrupp's fault.   :police:

I knew I should have waited for someone else to say it  :wtu: