News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Obama - Nobel Peace Prize

Started by guyforget, October 09, 2009, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

It is indeed pretty disappointing that the new administration thus far has put the interests of mega-banks and Wall Street ahead of those of the general populace.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

I expected a certain amount of "Politics as usual" after he took office, its impossible to completely change the culture of Washington by simple electing a progressive president. 

But I think that Geitner as well as the Health Care FAIL have both exceeded my expectations of "politics as usual." 

Health care in particular, because its the Democratic congress that is FUCKING this up.  In doing so, Im pretty confident that theyre squandering their majority and will not enjoy the same exclusivity after the 2010 congressional elections. 

Nelson, Lincoln, and Leiberman are a pox on the democrat's progressive movement and they are effectively sabotaging the chance of the Dems keeping such a large majority in the congress in 2010. 

I cant believe that we were so close to electing Leiberman as a Democrat Vice President, with a Pres. form Mass. who probably would have tried to enact some sort of health insurance reform due to his relationship w/ Ted Kennedy.  Now Lieberman is one of the key players in watering this down to "reform" in name only. 
-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: guyforget on December 11, 2009, 11:42:18 AM

Nelson, Lincoln, and Leiberman are a pox on the democrat's progressive movement and they are effectively sabotaging the chance of the Dems keeping such a large majority in the congress in 2010. 

Dont forget that sell out Bauccus.
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

guyforget

Quote from: Hicks on December 11, 2009, 11:58:53 AM

You know, though, he did come around on the Public Option if/when he thought it could get the votes.  So he didnt exactly endorse it, but he didnt try to flat-out kill it like these other dbags.  Dbags whose states support the Public Option, yet they continue to vote with only their lobbyists in mind. 

-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: guyforget on December 11, 2009, 12:02:29 PM

You know, though, he did come around on the Public Option if/when he thought it could get the votes.  So he didnt exactly endorse it, but he didnt try to flat-out kill it like these other dbags.  Dbags whose states support the Public Option, yet they continue to vote with only their lobbyists in mind.

I suppose, but you have to think that stronger support from the committee chair would have helped get a few more votes.   

guyforget

Totally.  And his "coming around" might have just been window dressing for the progressives out here who were all over him during the finance committee, but at least he did publicly endorse it "if it could get the votes to pass."  If Nelson, Lincoln, and Lieberman would have come around, I think we could have counted on Bauccus's vote in favor of the bill.  Bauccus was trying to play both sides, basically. 

-AD_

Hicks

Quote from: guyforget on December 11, 2009, 12:16:11 PM
Totally.  And his "coming around" might have just been window dressing for the progressives out here who were all over him during the finance committee, but at least he did publicly endorse it "if it could get the votes to pass."  If Nelson, Lincoln, and Lieberman would have come around, I think we could have counted on Bauccus's vote in favor of the bill.  Bauccus was trying to play both sides, basically.

Right, that makes him a slimeball in my book.

guyforget

Quote from: Hicks on December 11, 2009, 12:46:18 PM
Quote from: guyforget on December 11, 2009, 12:16:11 PM

Right, that makes him a slimeball in my book Politician.

fyp, homie
-AD_

nab

I will be doing my best to fix this situation when he comes up for election next time.  I have been trying to vote against him for the last two election cycles, but the Dems offer weak resistance in the primaries and the Rep opponents in the generals have been absolute jokes the last two cycles. 

For example, the last Rep opposition for the seat was an 80 yo man who believes in a parliamentary style government with a unicameral structure.  How do you vote for a guy like that?

Baccus needs to go.  His local office is right across the street from my house.  There have been many rallies there over the last couple of months, from both sides of the debate.

I believe that if they put up anyone with any clout from either side, Baccus' days are limited. 

Hicks

Quote from: nab on December 11, 2009, 01:22:38 PM

For example, the last Rep opposition for the seat was an 80 yo man who believes in a parliamentary style government with a unicameral structure.  How do you vote for a guy like that?

Wow, that dude does indeed sound like a joke, and not a very funny one at that.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: susep73 on December 11, 2009, 08:43:27 AM
Quote from: slslbs on December 10, 2009, 10:53:05 PM

Agree with you about Geitner. I believe he's a smart guy, but it seems as if he may be more than a little too close to the high finance guys on Wall Street (just like the past several Sec of Treasury)

exactly, and frankly w/ Geitner being so close to the Federal Reserve Bank and his rhetoric about wanting to set up a new global currency, my position on Obama is that because he's such a charismatic fellow and practically the whole world kneels to his every word, he's the perfect frontman for the global banking cartel.

I said the same thing about him pre-election.

I think it is kind of funny, because my view on him before the cult of obama started was that the Clintons placed him in such a position of prominance to steal votes away from Edwards during the Democratic primaries.  I think they mistakenly thought that the Democrats would pick a Woman as their candidate before they picked a Black man (with the middle name Hussein).  Since Bill and Hill placed Obama in such a position, he totally owed his position to them and their part of the political machine, placing Clintonians in all advisory positions and giving Hill the all important job of Secretary of State (a position which is traditionally more powerful than the Vice Presidency).  I think it is funny that some of the Hillary haterz voted for Obama as an anti- Hillary vote, when their policies are virtually identical.

Of course I expressed a lot of these concerns pre-election, and democrats view during the election cycle was a cryptically Bush-like "You are either for us or you are against us".

susep

this vid puts a different spin on Obama if you have some time to kill today:
http://www.youtube.com/v/eAaQNACwaLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&

fauxpaxfauxreal

I've seen this movie, and it is so atrocious it's laughable.  The only thing that it made me think is that the filmaker dude is a complete dumbass and that Barack Obama is the fucking man and that I want seven trillion dollars for free.

That guy totally fail'd.

sls.stormyrider

I expected a certain amount of "Politics as usual" after he took office, its impossible to completely change the culture of Washington by simple electing a progressive president. 
exactly. He can't change the BS that happens in Congress - special interests, no on looking past the next election, the worsening partisan politics, etc. The Pres can have some effect on that, but unfortunately there is so much taking advantage of fear that it is hard to get things done.

on the subject of the banking industry, at least the House just passed a reform measure. Not one Rebublican voted for it, about 100 or so lobbyists met with them last week.

the health care bill, if and when it will be passed, will be the typical Washington sausage. The Dems aren't the only ones to blame - yes they caved to special interests and deserve some blame, but the GOP just folded there arms and wouldn't help to come up with something useful.
The entire Congress had an oppurtunity to do something good and f**d it up. I blame ALL of them.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Buffalo Budd

Wasn't really sure where else to put this but just when I thought the world couldn't get any more bonkers, someone nominated Trump for a Nobel...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-pope-francis-among-2016-nobel-peace-prize-candidates/
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.