News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/29 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, December 29, 2011, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

The Phish from Vermont
The Garden
12-29-2011

Set I

The Sloth- Excellent choice as opener.  Sounds good. 
YEM- Trey fucks up several parts of the arpeggio section in the intro.  Very serene Nirvana section.  Good job on the build up section.  Verse sounds good.  The jam section is solid.  Nothing special.  Out of the gate they sound good.  Interplay remains tight.  Some patience exhibited in this YEM.  Good RAWK peak in the jam.  Predictable though.  So its kind of a turn off to me. Cool vocal jam.  LOL at teasing Bohemian Rhapsody.  Very cool.   
BOTT-   RAWK PEAKz.  Not bad. 
MOMA- RAWK PEAKz.  Okay. 
Bitch-  Still RAWK PEAKING.  Trey bringing the ego tonight
Maze-  Kind of psychedelic.  Solid version. 
Roses-  this one needs to come out of rotation.  over played imo.  And no jam- lame. 
Halley's-  Not bad.  Trey struggles with the modulation section at the end. 
Antelope-  RAWK PEAKS.  Almost no tension, but all shred.  That'll work. 

set break. 
Smoke 'em if you got 'em. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

phg

Thought 12/28 was better. At least it had a few parts worthy of re-listening. Weekapaug was good but there wer zero risks taken inside of songs last nite besides trey forcing the hydrogen on fish even though he tried to fight it. Not that flubs matter too much to me but yem nirvana segment was badly botched as well as maze and guyute. Standard rockin 3.0 you had to be there to think it was sick type show.

Tonite  will be the nite I'm sure.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

DoW

Quote from: Undermind on December 30, 2011, 11:42:24 AM
This was a treat for me!

that would normally be a song I would hate on in the middle of a set, but I have always liked it a lot and was very glad to see it last night.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

whatapiper

Quote from: phg on December 30, 2011, 11:40:56 AM
Thought 12/28 was better. At least it had a few parts worthy of re-listening. Weekapaug was good but there wer zero risks taken inside of songs last nite besides trey forcing the hydrogen on fish even though he tried to fight it. Not that flubs matter too much to me but yem nirvana segment was badly botched as well as maze and guyute. Standard rockin 3.0 you had to be there to think it was sick type show.

I'm waiting for us to say "Last night WAS the night!"

tonight may be the paper tiger with Tela, Curtain, Ghost, Dinner and a Movie, etc etc...

I had a blast listening to the stream.   I joined in after YEM so still need to give that a listen.   Maze was rough on my end.   Highlights for me were the Crosseyed > simple(too short)> lifeboy and the playfullness of the Mike's groove.   I stopped watching for the Show of Life, Zero, CUP.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

runawayjimbo

Quote from: phg on December 30, 2011, 11:40:56 AM

Different strokes, I guess. I thought last night buried 12-28 and I would put it on my short list of 3.0 shows that I enjoyed from top to bottom. You're right they didn't venture too far outside the songs, but I've come to expect that. To me, there was much more creativity and playfulness within the songs last night and they seemed more in sync than the first night. A lot (not all, but a lot) of Trey's runs and big bends were cleaner and as GG pointed out last night Page was much improved over the night before (see his Funky Bitch and Maze solos).

It might not have been 12-29-1994, but in the context of 3.0, that was a damn good show to me.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

phil

I think the debate of night one vs night two is basically going to come down to which setlist you like better. Both had solid playing (a friend suggested that the reason Trey's so on point is because he's really having to get his shit together for these orchestral shows coming up), both had some cool twists and turns, both featured some unusually good (for 3.0) improv (or so it seemed). For my money, I liked night one better but last night was a fucking blast as well. Trey looks like he's having a blast as well, and I think you can definitely hear it in their playing.

And how bout Page during maze? Fucking ON POINT.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sophist

Set II + encore - huge cup of meh for me. 

12/28 was much, much better in my book.  This was phoned in 3.0 in my book. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on December 30, 2011, 02:31:54 PM

Did you forget to listen to the Mikes > Chalkdust > Hydrogen > Weekapaug?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 30, 2011, 03:09:52 PM
Quote from: sophist on December 30, 2011, 02:31:54 PM

Did you forget to listen to the Mikes > Chalkdust > Hydrogen > Weekapaug?
I listened to it.  It was garbage.  The segue into Hydrogen is laughable.  Mike, and Page are in C, Trey's in D.  Horse force to the extreme.  The Mike's is over before it even begins.  The Chalkdust is good, but again, it gets aborted for Hydrogen.  The Weekapaug is good.  No doubt on that.  But 7 minutes of good jamming in weekapaug doesn't save the set.  How many times are they going to play Cross Eyed the same way?  Very weak simple.  Lifeboy is misplaced.  Guyute is flubtastic.  Show of Life is badly misplaced.  And the Character Zero is RAWKtastic. 

Not my cup of tea.  It's what I hate about 3.0.  Looks epcot on paper, but its a spiraling mess of forced pseudo-magic.   

12/28 smokes it. 

McGrupp

Well, I was there, and I enjoyed pretty much the whole show. Such is the conundrum of 3.0. But, I do agree, 12/28 is the better of the two.

Looking forward to a fun one tonight!

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 30, 2011, 03:48:51 PM
Well, I was there, and I enjoyed pretty much the whole show. Such is the conundrum of 3.0. But, I do agree, 12/28 is the better of the two.

Looking forward to a fun one tonight!
Enjoy! 

Still a lot on the table for you guys. 

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

McGrupp

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 30, 2011, 04:12:08 PM
I really thought last night crushed night one.

You were high, and one row behind fishman.

Makes sense to me.