News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Unplugging the center speaker to eliminate......

Started by antelope19, September 08, 2008, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

...the announcers.  I just read this post on another board and thought it was kind of interesting.

I am sure probably 95% of you know this and will think I am a tool... I haven't had HD for very long and therefore, a true 5.1 system. I have a relatively cheap receiver and audio runs via an optical cable.

So I find myself excited as hell to finally be wasting a Sunday watching a real game, and the announcers are, as usual, rambling on and on, never allowing a (Gasp!) moment of silence between them, and it just comes to me in a flash: I go over and unplug the center speaker, and viola - no more morons. Crank it up and you can actually hear the stadium announcer! Every once in awhile a word or two gets in the side channels, but it is very rare...

Anyone ever tried this?  I may have to experiment this coming weekend!  There's nothing more annoying than John Madden praising Brett favre for the umpteenth time or listening to Chris Collinsworth talk about how cool he is....
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Collinsworth is on the "People I'd Like To Hit With A Metal Folding Chair" list

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 04:47:07 PM

:lol:

Me too.

But do you think there's any truth what that guy posted?  I guess I'll just have to try it and find out for myself. 

rowjimmy

I used to mute the game and tune in the radio broadcast (Skins Games only, back when Sonny, Sam & Frank were the team.)

antelope19

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 08, 2008, 04:54:08 PM
I used to mute the game and tune in the radio broadcast (Skins Games only, back when Sonny, Sam & Frank were the team.)

You're not alone.  I used to do the same.

VA $l!m

honestly i find that funny but sorta stupid.

he's correct in that the majority if not all of the commentary will come from the center speaker.
though, and i could be wrong, i beleive that there is more than JUST the commentary coming through that channel.
i think also, there are many other solutions that are less drastic.
first of al, instead off actually unplugging the speaker, you could just adjust that speakers output.
second of all, and the choice i would go for if it bothered me that much, is change the filter you are using on your receiver. most recievers and new TVs have many different settings that accentuate voice or music or background more over the other.
for instance if i'm watching a movie with a really cool musical part, i'll switch from my PLLXmovie setting to my PLXmusic setting. pretty much all surround receivers have one setting or another that will bring out the part of the sound you are looking to hear the most.

as far as a total mute of the commentary, well is the sound of the crowd and classhing plastic helmets all that great?
if it is, you can always go old school to. my grandpops always muted the tv broadcast and tuned in the local radio announcers for games.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

mattstick

it might work but only under very exact circumstances.

Listening to the radio guys sucks because of broadcast delays.

Your best option really is to go to the game

jephrey

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/13/delayplayradio-lets-you-sync-fm-audio-with-cable-or-satellite/

Is one among many devices that will buffer the radio stream and delay it to match the TV.  I've been debating this because Pat Hughes is the best announcer evar!!!
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

mattstick

The audio on football broadcasts is amazing, even if the announcers suck.  There was consistently great audio of Peyton at the line during the Colts/Bears game last night.

Hicks

I frequently just turn the sound down and rock some tunes while watching basketball.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Tonight I have been listening to the games while playing Wii.

nab

Quote from: Hicks on September 08, 2008, 10:36:24 PM
I frequently just turn the sound down and rock some tunes while watching basketball.

Though I'm more of a football guy, this has always been my solution as well.

tet

not to get completely off topic here, but why the fuck does everyone hate CC?  i think he's not only a great announcer, but actually adds some interesting commentary as well.  always enjoyed him on Inside The NFL.

plus, he's down with puffing
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

rowjimmy

Quote from: tet on September 10, 2008, 10:36:12 AM

not to get completely off topic here, but why the fuck does everyone hate CC?  i think he's not only a great announcer, but actually adds some interesting commentary as well.  always enjoyed him on Inside The NFL.

plus, he's down with puffing

Frankly, when he was calling games for Fox, he came up calling the Redskins every other week. He was brutally biased against them. Yes, the Skins were not a great team but he was a shit head.
It got to be quite tiresome to listen to him every week so I started listening to the Redskins Radio broadcast. At least they're not supposed to be impartial.

VA $l!m

i dont hate him.
he's just a douchebag.
plus wasnt he a kicker?
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-