News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/26 - DCU Center - Worcester, MA - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by rowjimmy, October 27, 2013, 12:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Interested to hear if it's on the tapes or if the audience is simply out of serotonin.

Phish without Fishman?

mbw

boggie on was fine.  possum was different, with a funk beat and a guy who didn't know what was going on.
i was expecting it to be a lot worse from  :wtu: review though.

fish says he just wanted dude to play his kit, really.

birdman

Encore wasn't horrendous. Just different. Thought something was wrong with Fish for a minute and they just grabbed the nearest black guy to play drums. Seemed likely.
While not nearly as good as Friday night, this show had its moments. The beginning of set 2 started off promising but the energy fizzled out half way through.
Tonight should be hot.

Scottys meltdown after the show was pretty entertaining. I think he's still bitter about missing Friday. Lol
Paug FTMFW!

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

Quote from: birdman on October 27, 2013, 10:50:09 AM

Scottys meltdown after the show was pretty entertaining. I think he's still bitter about missing Friday. Lol

Confirmed... Epic Scotty melt!! I looked up at him two rows behind me during possum and he looked like he was in shock... Like he had just witnessed a deadly car accident and wasn't sure what to do next.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

runawayjimbo

Quote from: antelope19 on October 27, 2013, 02:03:52 AM
Rowjimmy enjoying shows and wtu spewing the hate? What is going on around here lately?

Bizzaropaug

Party Time should open every single show. Epuc.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 27, 2013, 11:56:52 AM
Rowjimmy enjoying shows and wtu spewing the hate? What is going on around here lately?

Bizzaropaug

They both can't keep up this charade much longer.

Caravan2001

He missed Friday?  Ooof, that stings.  I would be bitter about this show too, lol. See you on Halloween Scotty!

jasonsobel

I still stand behind my late night post-show thoughts that this was great, and I disagree about the "blue balls".

Both Drowned and Light really delivered.  They could have easily ended Drowned around 9:30, but then went on for another 10 minutes.  and it was great.  Mike's was different, and I liked it.  I did not get the sense that they were unpracticed.  On the contrary, I think Fall tour is when they shine, because it's not too far on the heels of summer tour.

I agree that the encore was a little weird without Fishman.  Maybe it doesn't bother me as much, because I could see Fish off to the side of the stage, and he had a huge smile on his face during the encore.  Clearly, he was enjoying it.  So were Trey and Mike.  So who am I to judge.  Personally, I rarely enjoy guest appearances (because I'm there to see Phish, not other musicians).  But that said, I think it's fine in the encore.  It would have disrupted the show a lot more if the guest appearance had been somewhere in set 2.

also, in set 1, Bathtub Gin, Stash, and Bowie were all very well played.  Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinions, and we won't all agree on what we like.  but I thought last night was a great show.
sing me back home before I die

ceevee

Dennard, eh? That guy can play. Pastorius Trio Live in New York City V2 is still one of my favorite go-to albums. I'm not sure about the choice of Possum for a guest drummer sit in though, especially without support in the role, as the song is highly dependent on the long, drawn-out crescendos and some quick rhythmic changes - though any guest playing a melodic role would have a great time with it.

Here is a quick sample of Kenwood with Jaco and Hiram, for those who are curious:
http://www.youtube.com/v/qJgldcTZ578

Edit: Come to think of it, Dear Prudence would have been a excellent encore choice, given the White Album bustout earlier in the week and that Kenwood played some jammed-out versions of Prudence with Jaco's trio.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: mbw on October 27, 2013, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 27, 2013, 11:56:52 AM

Bizzaropaug

They both can't keep up this charade much longer.

I'm thinking at least through the last 4 shows of this tour, but things should be back to normal by NYE run.

:fingers crossed:
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Gumbo72203

Making my way slowly through the show via DeadPanthers76 youtube guy uploads.

So, the Drowned was pretty good.  It didn't wow me as much on the relisten as it did through the sharts last night, but the Guy Forget jam was fucking cool and the outro section is fucking AWESOME.  Trey had some great little mellow licks throughout early on, but it wasn't quite the barnstormer I felt it to be through the stream.  Maybe I'll feel differently on a 2nd re-listen when I feel better.

The Mike's Song, on the other hand....  YEAH!!  FInally!!!  A real actual Mike's Song!  I kinda get what Scott meant about the ending....  Trey kinda came in early with it, but what I wished they did was extend the whole thing through another cycle of 4 sets of closing chords, because they had that super funky vibe going with Trey's delay.

This is the first 3.0 Mike's Song I can actually say I fucking like.  That shit was cool as hell, Trey playing funk chords with his infinite delay sorta thing going on.  Loved that.  Maybe we'll see the re-emergence of Mike's Song as a relevant, vital piece of the repetoire in AC? 

The Mike's isn't long, but even by the 5 minute mark, they're sunk DEEP.

I'm in Bathtub Gin now, about 8:50 in.... and man we're cruising!  The hose is felt, and this is fucking good.  There was a point a minute or 2 ago in the jam where the music had that "feeling" where it clicks and kind of expands, almost like the music is getting excited by itself, sorta...  you guys know what I mean, its when the Hose gets turned on and picks up its own momentum. 

oh MAN!!!!!!!!!!11 10:06!!!!!!!!!  what a wind up Trey!  Nice!!!!!!  Fucking yes!!!! 

Boo, Trey always comes in with the ending notes.  I hate when that happens.  its literally the worst part of the song. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

birdman

That mikes was the low point if the show.
Remember when mikes would carry a show on its back. This was the opposite.
Paug FTMFW!

Gumbo72203

does anybody have an extra poster for this run that they could/would sell me???  I just saw it, and LOVE the fucking model train on it.  (for those who really know me, I've been into model railroading since I was like 3).

Please@!

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

just finished Party Time, and PYITE and just into the beginning of Back on the Train.

Yay Phish!  Doing things well!  This is fucking great!  Punch was engaging and awesome.  Loved it.  The ending with Trey's loops > Back On The Train was fucking AWESOME.  That's what I love hearing this band do. 

Modify:  Back On The Train ruled!  That was great!  Nice peak, great energy.  My Soul sounds great, too.  No whale or anything.  Its amazing how good Trey still is when he wants to be.  I loved that his chops and fluidity are seemingly a concern again for him.  This is some great shit.