News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vinyl

Started by tet, May 03, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: susep on December 05, 2018, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: mehead on December 05, 2018, 12:21:24 PM
Quote from: emay on December 05, 2018, 11:13:56 AM
sick cant wait to blast this More

why else would you buy it?

why they would pass on the preceding It's Ice is beyond me?  One marquee jam from each flavor would have been more better.

I like that idea, but then we would've needed a seventh LP in the set and they would have stuck More on the second side of the last LP.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

antelope19

SS&P arrived today! Thank you all for your help!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Caravan2001

$75 now.  It'll be back up to reg price soon I bet.

mattstick

It's $74 with a 10% off coupon now...

mopper_smurf

The right way to make a review copy stand out. Pretty good 12" EP taboot.

https://heavenly-heroes.com/
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mattstick

Quote from: mistercharlie on December 05, 2018, 05:44:20 AM
The Baker's Dozen box set is selling for $70 on Amazon this morning.

Got mine yesterday, nice box.

mattstick

They really missed an opportunity to do a donut design on the vinyl/labels...

sunrisevt

Quote from: August on November 25, 2018, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 25, 2018, 05:42:25 PM
So I was lucky to get out of my local shop with my shoes yesterday... got my SS&P, In Rainbows, Enter the Wu-Tang, a live Fela Kuti set from 1970 (with Ginger Baker!), plus used copies of Led Zeppelin IV, Terrapin Station, and Shakedown Street.

Now I need to upgrade my deck. Any advice is welcome. I'd like to keep it under $500.

I'd rec this table.
https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-turntable?variant=APJTTDCDCGRN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OnDuc_w3gIVQeDICh2O3wcAEAQYByABEgKRDPD_BwE

Hold off until tmrw maybe...

NEVER MIND NEW QUESTION!!!

So I dug in on craigslist and picked up a rig of 70s-vintage components (rule # 1 compliance forthcoming) and it sounds amazing. But the room where I'm putting it has floors 200+ years old--wobbly  as hell.

There's more than one spot on the floor where a footstep guarantees a needle jump, for real.

Do I have to rig a suspension shelf to put the turntable on? Seriously asking, shit ain't safe to leave as-is.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

shoreline99

I'd think you could rig up an inexpensive vibration pad with some neoprene spacers, etc.. I rigged one up for my daughter with a couple of old mouse pads cut to fit the feet of her turntable and some double-stick tape. Ghetto as hell but no skips - caveat is our house is only just shy of a hundred years old.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sunrisevt

O & this--

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 25, 2018, 05:42:25 PMlive Fela Kuti set from 1970 (with Ginger Baker!).

--is fucking ridiculous. Possible 'Bitches Brew' source material.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sunrisevt

ETA: & thanks for being awesome, everyone.   :beers:

Caravan2001

Quote from: sunrisevt on December 16, 2018, 11:24:25 PM
Quote from: August on November 25, 2018, 05:47:47 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on November 25, 2018, 05:42:25 PM
So I was lucky to get out of my local shop with my shoes yesterday... got my SS&P, In Rainbows, Enter the Wu-Tang, a live Fela Kuti set from 1970 (with Ginger Baker!), plus used copies of Led Zeppelin IV, Terrapin Station, and Shakedown Street.

Now I need to upgrade my deck. Any advice is welcome. I'd like to keep it under $500.

I'd rec this table.
https://www.musicdirect.com/turntables/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-turntable?variant=APJTTDCDCGRN&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4OnDuc_w3gIVQeDICh2O3wcAEAQYByABEgKRDPD_BwE

Hold off until tmrw maybe...

NEVER MIND NEW QUESTION!!!

So I dug in on craigslist and picked up a rig of 70s-vintage components (rule # 1 compliance forthcoming) and it sounds amazing. But the room where I'm putting it has floors 200+ years old--wobbly  as hell.

There's more than one spot on the floor where a footstep guarantees a needle jump, for real.

Do I have to rig a suspension shelf to put the turntable on? Seriously asking, shit ain't safe to leave as-is.

You might want to figure out a way to determine what tracking pressure your needle is set at.  Could just be you need to add a little more pressure to the groove.  It could be as primitive as taping a penny to the top of the cartridge but depending on the table, you should be able to adjust it with whatever counterweight method it has.  I bought this stylus scale for $14 and it paid for itself in one use.  Really, anybody using a turntable should own a stylus gauge, it noticeably affects performance and sound when you are in or out of spec.  The only issue you may have is that if you have a vintage stylus/cartridge, you might not be able to determine what the spec is for that cart.  But if you put it on the scale and you are not even registering 1.5 or something, you know you'll have to bump it up at least a couple of turns.  I've never heard of walking on a floor to jump a needle unless its was too low of tracking. 

ETA: forgot the link-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9TRSPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hicks

Short answer, more tracking bro. 

I've never fucked around with pennies on the cart, but I've used 1200s my whole adult life and that shit is pretty easy to dial in. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

Sweet, thanks for the info!

rowjimmy

Pennies are probably way more weight that you need. You'll fuck up your records more likely than fix the problem.