News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

8/05/2017 - MSG, New York, NY - Post-Show

Started by mistercharlie, August 05, 2017, 11:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

August 5th, 2017
Madison Square Garden
New York, NY

Bakers Dozen night 12 "Boston Cream" Theme

Set I: Soul Shakedown Party, Uncle Pen, The Sloth, Gotta Jibboo, Fuck Your Face, Sunshine of Your Love* -> More than a Feeling** -> Sunshine of your Love -> Foreplay/Longtime ^, Frost, Scent of a Mule, Fire, Alaska, Plasma

Set II: Ghost, Petrichor, Light -> Lizards, The Horse > Silent in The Morning, Quinn The Eskimo, Rocky Top,

E: Joy

* First Time Played (Cream cover)
** First Time Played (Boston Cover) unfinished
^Last Time Played 07-12-1999 (522 show gap) W/ Tales of Brave Ulysees, More than a Feeling and White Room quotes.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

This might have been the weakest of the shows so far. And that Ghost was great as was the Light. Not to mention the Boston Cream, but still somehow the weakest.

It's amazing that a show with as much greatness as this one had can be thought of as the weakest due to how well they've been playing this run.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

mbw

cactusfan

Quote from: mbw on August 05, 2017, 11:37:12 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 05, 2017, 11:34:37 PM
This band is just the absolute best

Which?

Boston.

Setlist still doesn't include the tease/quote (depending on your preference) of Tales of Brave Ulysses.

Gumbo72203

So this was an interesting show.  Great moments abounded, but I kind of feel like they're running out of steam just a little bit.  Ghost felt like it left some money on the table, and Gotta Jibboo is long and was GREAT during the early jam, but didn't really do much for me towards the peak.  Didn't seem like they could hook up on anything.  Lots of Trey flubs, again.  Granted, he's playing a lot.  So i get it.  Page totally chopped the ending off Lizards outro jam one or 2 times early.... that still had legs as well.  So it goes. 

Frost after Sunshine of your Feeling was.... a strange call.  It was played magnificently, but holy hard left turn...

I actually liked Light too!  That was fantastic.  Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gundo

Best band of all time. Trey healed my ankle with his love peaks

pcr3

That Boston Cream segment was one of the best things I've seen this band do. Lots of smiles tonight.  :-D :phish: :banana:
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: pcr3 on August 06, 2017, 04:42:21 AM
That Boston Cream segment was one of the best things I've seen this band do. Lots of smiles tonight.  :-D :phish: :banana:

That shit was bananas. crowd was going absolutely wild, especially during that More Than a Feeling breakdown. Can't wait to see what they've go in store for tomorrow! I can't get enough of this band!
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

Quote from: cactusfan on August 06, 2017, 12:33:51 AM
Quote from: mbw on August 05, 2017, 11:37:12 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 05, 2017, 11:34:37 PM
This band is just the absolute best

Which?

Boston.

Setlist still doesn't include the tease/quote (depending on your preference) of Tales of Brave Ulysses.

The LivePhish.com page just lists that section of the show as Sunshine of Your Feeling and rolls all the Boston and Cream into one track.

Marmar

you got a fake boston creme donut....

that shit was just a fancy frosted chocolate donut....

I want a refund.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

mistercharlie

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 06, 2017, 01:29:30 AM
So this was an interesting show.  Great moments abounded, but I kind of feel like they're running out of steam just a little bit.  Ghost felt like it left some money on the table, and Gotta Jibboo is long and was GREAT during the early jam, but didn't really do much for me towards the peak.  Didn't seem like they could hook up on anything.  Lots of Trey flubs, again.  Granted, he's playing a lot.  So i get it.  Page totally chopped the ending off Lizards outro jam one or 2 times early.... that still had legs as well.  So it goes. 

Frost after Sunshine of your Feeling was.... a strange call.  It was played magnificently, but holy hard left turn...

I actually liked Light too!  That was fantastic.  Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting!

Not sure how you couldn't like that Ghost.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

whatapiper

Show crushed, energy in that room was through the roof.

I think it is clear they are tired, I had that thought last night, but nothing is taking away from the awesomeness that was that show. They are being as creative as ever, I thought the show flowed beautifully.
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

Gumbo72203

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 06, 2017, 11:06:55 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on August 06, 2017, 01:29:30 AM

Not sure how you couldn't like that Ghost.

Oh I liked it plenty!  I just thought it wasn't finished yet haha... I felt like that well of energy/creativity was not tapped dry yet, that it still had legs.  I wanted it to go back up one more time, or stretch that outro out a bit and get a little creative.  Same with Lizards.... i was totally feeling the outro jam going around at least one more time to really milk the feeling, but Page came in with the piano slide earlier than I was anticipating.  It just felt cut off is all.  Trey actually played that section flawlessly too!  Very impressed.  It's a great song when it's played correctly. 

On another note, Fishman has been killing it on drums lately. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again