News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

First Song at Hampton

Started by cactusfan, October 01, 2008, 06:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ri©h

Quote from: redrum on October 06, 2008, 11:55:18 PM
just figured it out.

Makisupa Policeman*
*keyword= "Rehab"

It's their oldest original.
They can just ease in to it against the insanely deafening crowd that gets even louder once we realize it's actually Makisupa.
Trey mutters, "Woke up in the morning, ...........Rehab. Ha ha haha"
Jaws drop and kidz die laughing not believing he actually said rehab.
Then we start to realize we're about to experience one of the greatest three night runs in the history of ever and that this is how they decided to kick it off.

:mrgreen:

That would be hilarious.  And very cool at the same time.  Trey, being able to laugh at his past situation, would be admirable. 

mattstick

Quote from: Rich on October 07, 2008, 12:10:51 AM
That would be hilarious.  And very cool at the same time.  Trey, being able to laugh at his past situation, would be admirable. 

At the 12/31/06 show during the acoustic Makisupa, the keyword was "Whitehall".

matty76

After reading the MAkisupa post, I have come to realize they TOTALLY need a LONG lead in time, due to the fact that the crowd is going to be very loud and very intense for the first few minutes...That really does leave the sky as the limit!!  This is such a difficult choice to make.   I might have to remove Back on The Train and Golgi and still stick with:

2001 or Foreplay/Longtime!!!!!  (cover)

Run Like An Antelope    (original)

This is what I am sticking with!!!!

See you all at the spaceship liftoff party!!!

:beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

Gumbo72203

you know........  I think I like the Makisupa opener.  They opened the Went with it; even though I think this is one of the worst choices for a show opener, it would make sense here.  It would bring it full circle from the "woke up in the morning....  in Whitehall"  to "woke up in the morning.....   in rehab"  or "woke up inthe morning....   in Phish/in Hampton" or something.

hmm....   

i wonder how much they will factor that in? (the crowd level).  It would make sense, seeing as its kind of what they did with the first reunion, with Piper: slow, quiet lead in because everybody is drowning it all out anyway.  This is what makes me think, now, that they WONT do Tube, or something like that.  Actually, as I was playing drums the other day, I thought about hwo PERFECT Ghost would be. 

i think i'm calling Ghost now.  WITH loops!!! 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

redrum

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 07, 2008, 05:16:02 PM
you know........  I think I like the Makisupa opener.  They opened the Went with it; even though I think this is one of the worst choices for a show opener, it would make sense here.  It would bring it full circle from the "woke up in the morning....  in Whitehall"  to "woke up in the morning.....   in rehab"  or "woke up inthe morning....   in Phish/in Hampton" or something.

if not "Rehab", i was thinking:

"Woke up in the morning.... REUNION"

headz would will explode.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

Gumbo72203

ACTUALLY, I know what song they'll be opening with.  Its all so clear now.

Think about it...   Okay.  Its going to be loud as all fuck in there.  That means a song that takes a little bit to get going, ala Piper in MSG.  But it'll also need to be something that builds to a fast, burst-out rock-hose type sorta thing, kind of like Piper, with how it builds up and gets really fast.  But then also...  it'll need to be reflective, and appropriate for the context of everything. 

Come on...  think about it.  What song has all 3 of these? 

still stumped?

oh come on....  THINK HARDER!!!!

okay, want me to tell you?

fine, i'll tell you:

MAZE!!!

Its perfect. 

Verse:
The overhead view is of me in a maze.
And you see what I'm hunting a few steps away.
But I take a wrong turn, and I'm on the wrong path.
And the people all watching enjoy a good laugh.
Embarrassed with failure, I try to reverse
The course that my tread had already traversed.

Verse:
So doing the trauma engulfing my dreams
Invaded through what was an unguarded seam.
The torrent of helplessness swept me away.
To the cavern of shame and the hall of dismay.

Inside me a voice was repeating the phrase:
"You've lost it. You'll never get out of this maze."

Bridge/Outro:
You'll never get out of this maze

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

tet

dude, lay off the quaaludes
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

MiamiPhish

I'll put that one in the 'plausible' category.. I do think the high-hat intro would work well... I also have though about a 'bowie' opener.

Gumbo72203

ehh...  I dont think they're going to go back to doing stuff like that.  I could be dead wrong, though.  Aside from them opening the first night with You Enjoy Myself, I just feel like they're not going to be doing Harry Hood, David Bowie, Fluffhead, Reba, or Run Like an Antelope.  These songs are big jam songs that have definite endings.  I mean, of course they could take them away and into Type II territory, but as for jam-song openers, I definitely think Ghost, Tweezer, and maybe Down With Disease will be the main openers. 

but what about Slave To The Traffic Light?  Has this EVER opened a show?  That would be something, for sure. 

MiamiPhish

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 09, 2008, 03:48:49 PM
ehh...  I dont think they're going to go back to doing stuff like that.  I could be dead wrong, though.  Aside from them opening the first night with You Enjoy Myself, I just feel like they're not going to be doing Harry Hood, David Bowie, Fluffhead, Reba, or Run Like an Antelope.  These songs are big jam songs that have definite endings.  I mean, of course they could take them away and into Type II territory, but as for jam-song openers, I definitely think Ghost, Tweezer, and maybe Down With Disease will be the main openers. 

but what about Slave To The Traffic Light?  Has this EVER opened a show?  That would be something, for sure. 
No Slave opener since 11/5/88!  That would be something, but I don't think it'll happen... I do, however, think they could open with Hood, I guess 'cause of the Harry-Hood audience interaction, that'd get everybody going for sure, though I know that Hood usually serves the same role as Slave.

My gut says it's either going to be something familiar and extended, ala 2001 -> or something short and FIERCE like Tweezer Rep, Chalkdust (nah...) or even Llama (probably not either) and if I had a gun to my head and had to predict a second song... YEM.

Gumbo72203

i think they might open with Slave now...  its got a slow, quiet intro, and is a great jam vehicle. 

G. Augusto

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on October 09, 2008, 04:11:11 PM
i think they might open with Slave now...  its got a slow, quiet intro, and is a great jam vehicle. 

Bruh.
Surrender to the Flow.
a

redrum

I just feel like they're not going to be doing Harry Hood, 

there will be a Hood encore in Hampton '09.
Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

MiamiPhish

Quote from: redrum on October 09, 2008, 04:20:07 PM
I just feel like they're not going to be doing Harry Hood, 

there will be a Hood encore in Hampton '09.
You heard it here first.