News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/02 - Jones Beach Amphitheater - Wantagh, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by blatboom, June 02, 2009, 11:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

2June2009 - Wantagh, NY

AKG with ck63 hyper caps > Crown phantom power > DAP20
Mics worn in 2 identical cowboy hats with custom Mic clamp
Recorded By: Scott & Boris

I

Jim - nice opener, nothing over the top but this version feels good, nice Trey solos, great.

FOAM - love it, starts off more laid back, its so cool to think these guys produced these killer compositions > jams on their debut(Junta), still sound fresh( on a MJ side note, Junta was released post MJ Bad, a preety good effort by the kop), solid.

Stealing Time From the Faulty Plan - debut, Trey as EC, Trey deep in the blues, more reminicent of Trey of old as opposed to emotive/sea scape-esque, now that Trey lives in Manhattan these are in essence his new hometown gigs 20 mi. E, fine version.

Timber - solid jamming, Fish responding to Trey, Mike adding cool lines, counterlines, great range by Gordo, nice outro at 5:12, props to the taper, good pull thus far, keeping the momentum.

Cities - jam opens up at 5:08, crazy solid Mike here, he's all over it, he's giving the jam an almost hip-hop vibe, Page's funky clav helps, Trey laying back w/ this mellow riff, nearly 2 minute jam but preety good esp. Mike.

Driver - interesting selection, perhaps better reserved for an encore slot.

Reba - nice opening jam, patient statements by Trey and Page, Page adding some trippy lines, very peaceful almost introspective playing hear, very laid back, love these approaches to Reba, some jerk in the crowd booing, Mike and Trey touch on a mini exchange, out of that they continue to propel the jam, Trey loosening up more, jam begins to lift off, quick ascension, soaring high, nice touches/expression by Trey, I'd love to hear Trucks solo in Reba, nice series of peaks, Trey looking for the one note that will melt brains, alas Fish closes, w/ whistling, nice version.

Possum - oversaturated w/ Possum.

Farmhouse - interesting flow, Trey bringing it home.

If I Could - nice pic, "run w/ me across the ocean", nice outro jam, Trey running a little behind, Trey goes high near 6:18, nostalgic.

II

Mike's - Trey rocking a weird sounding effect out of the gate, leaves a real muddy feel, sloppy disonance, jam ascends near 5:27, Hendrix esque Trey, nice segue into raging Trey solo that is a step above his previous efforts in this jam, back into muddy riff before outro chords, sliding into

Simple - ahhhh, release, jam opens near 4:20, strong Simple jamming, bouncy Mike, Mike's playing underneath is amazing, fresh jam, Page searching, great group jamming near 6:38, showing their synopocatory prowess, Trey laying back more as jam enters fade out transition, stately jamming here, colors, sweet outro >

Wolfman's - they enter the jam preety easily, jam opens w/ nice slice of funk, Trey noodling as opposed to playing rythym, jam still in semi-development mode before chord/outro, Trey tries to salvage the jam by that time Fish begins a rapid beat into

Weekapaug Groove - cool jam, Trey playing more w/ a cleaner tone then the preceeding Mike's, fluid playing by all, great energy underneath, Trey a little of w/ his timing, fair reading but interesting Mike's Groove overall

Circus - great tune.

banter - "we are here for your pleasure"

Kill Devil Falls - debut, slight Ritchie Valens vibe, interesting change into chorus, sounds almost 1950's ish, I wonder if Trey living near Keith Richards has influenced his music?, strong Letter To Jimmy Page like transition riffs, the idea of a Falls or water area is common in most areas, gives the band and audience a mutual appreciation of music and nature, avg jam(see 12June09 for a better improvisational reading)

Hood - nice placement, jam opens at 5:26, Page bringing out some cool ideas to open, Trey and Mike playing fairly straight, fairly quick pace w/ Fish's ride keeping a nice time, similar to the Reba in the first set in the jamming is nice and relaxed to open although this Hood jam is preety fast(much like Mansfield), Mike adding some new ideas around 8:12, jam continues to swim, very aquatic expressions 8:45, almost Sky like, Page going back to trippy effect which adds to a nice feel, Mike addding trippy ideas, jam gets ambient/trippy, Fish still on the ride all the way through, Trey building underneath, Page gets out in front, alien space jam, rebirth, Trey, everyone bringing it back in near 12:00, great deviation from the normal Hood jam, big props to them for dropping into the zone, jam slowly builds, Trey bringing an extra something, some of these peak ending runs are poorly executed by Trey, like's half a step behind in tempo, still a great version overall, Page really leading the experimental way, automatically vaulted into the upper echelon of Hooddom.

Loving Cup -  great way to end the set.

E

Suzy - one more throwdown.

These are my first listens of JB, overall I liked this show, in terms of it being a great show that idea is contained in the great Harry Hood, a true unique reading.  Set 1 was consistently good led by a serene Reba, and other mini-highlights.  The Mike's was a little rough around the edges but valid effort.  This may have been a step up from Fenway minus the Fenway YEM.  The recording is a preety good pull, nothing like the 18June Aud I heard but still holds its own as an A+ advertised recording, maybe more like an A-. 

WhatstheUse?

Busted out this "Hood" today for a listen and was very pleasantly surprised!

This jam is very good, and unique .... the ending sure fall flat, but the "spaced-out, psychedelic" part is GREAT!  :wtu:

Not sure if it's the best of the year, but definitely the most original
Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on December 22, 2009, 05:45:45 PM

This jam is very good, and unique .... the ending sure fall flat, but the "spaced-out, psychedelic" part is GREAT!  :wtu:

The first set of this show is one of the best of the year.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: G. Augusto on December 22, 2009, 05:46:50 PM

The first set of this show is one of the best of the year.

I do remember the Timber and Cities being well played as well.
Also, this was the first show I was up close for, 3rd row!!
Bring in the dude!

VA $l!m

Not sure if it's the best of the year, but definitely the most original
its definitely one of the more memorable jams from 09.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

MiamiPhish

justjezmund

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

justjezmund

BUMP for the spine chilling hood, and the only fast weekapaug of the year.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.