News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBL

I know August and Mattstick are runners, so maybe they could help me out here.

I want to get into better shape and start running, but where do I begin?

I don't own running shoes are any 'workout' clothes, so I guess that's my 1st step?

Thanks!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mbw

mattstick

Yup, start with shoes and workout gear.  If there is a Running Room store in your area, head over there with your Visa card and do some damage.

Running on a treadmill is a good way to start, you can set your pace and stick to it. 

Start slow and run for 10 minutes.  Do this 3 or 4 times a week, the next week go to 12 minutes.

The next week go to 15 minutes.

Then 20 minutes.

Once you're running 20 minutes on the treadmill start upping the speed/tempo.

By now it will be fall weather and you'll be ready to run outside for 3-4 miles.

Drink lots of water while you run, and listen to heady Phish jams.

I got my one really out of shape buddy running by listening to different versions of Harry Hood, he would start slow in the reggae section, and move the speed up or down depending on the section of the song, when he'd get to "you can feel good about Hood" he would be in full sprint.  This is a pretty epic feeling.

You should also look at what races are in your area and shoot for something at the end of the fall, you could probably run a 10k if you start now... tell everyone you know that you're running the race and set a goal time - for a beginner you should strive (jive/strive) for somewhere between 55 and 60 minutes.

I coach running clinics and have had a lot of success in the past year - so even though you stiffed me in Fantasy Baseball feel free to fire off any questions you have.

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on August 21, 2009, 07:00:47 PM
Yup, start with shoes and workout gear.  If there is a Running Room store in your area, head over there with your Visa card and do some damage.

Running on a treadmill is a good way to start, you can set your pace and stick to it. 

Start slow and run for 10 minutes.  Do this 3 or 4 times a week, the next week go to 12 minutes.

The next week go to 15 minutes.

Then 20 minutes.

Once you're running 20 minutes on the treadmill start upping the speed/tempo.

By now it will be fall weather and you'll be ready to run outside for 3-4 miles.

Drink lots of water while you run, and listen to heady Phish jams.

I got my one really out of shape buddy running by listening to different versions of Harry Hood, he would start slow in the reggae section, and move the speed up or down depending on the section of the song, when he'd get to "you can feel good about Hood" he would be in full sprint.  This is a pretty epic feeling.

You should also look at what races are in your area and shoot for something at the end of the fall, you could probably run a 10k if you start now... tell everyone you know that you're running the race and set a goal time - for a beginner you should strive (jive/strive) for somewhere between 55 and 60 minutes.

I coach running clinics and have had a lot of success in the past year - so even though you stiffed me in Fantasy Baseball feel free to fire off any questions you have.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it and I'll definitely hit you up with any other questions.

GBL

There's a running room about a mile from my place, so I'll head over there tomorrow. 

Any recomendations for shoes?  I would like to get into the whole Nike+ tracking shit.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: GBL on August 21, 2009, 07:06:15 PM
There's a running room about a mile from my place, so I'll head over there tomorrow. 

Any recomendations for shoes?  I would like to get into the whole Nike+ tracking shit.

They'll probably have some kind of fancy machine that hooks up to your feet and then you'll fake run in place and it will spit out all kinds of crazy shoe recommendations...

If Nike's aren't the shoe for you (they fit really oddly and I'd say as many people fit them as don't), I'm sure they'll direct you to tracking products that are compatible with the footware you purchase.

Different runners have different footwear needs...what works for Aug or Mattstick, probably won't work for you (but might).

mattstick

When you go to the Running Room, bring a pair of shoes that have a lot of wear, they should be able to tell a lot about your feet from the wear pattern.

If they recommend the ugliest show on the wall, buy 'em.  If you want a hot pair of running shoes to look fly, buy those too but don't wear them when you run.

The Running Room should have accessories for using Nike+ without buying Nikes, a little plastic piece that holds the sensor on the outside of your shoe.  After that you'll need an iPod Nano (or 3GS iPhone) and the Nike+ Kit which has the sensor and dongle piece which attaches to your Nano.

When you're at Running Room, ask an employee about Clinics and Run Club - group runs are a great way to meet people who may inspire you.

shoreline99

Thanks for the info, guys! +k!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

whyweigh5.0

Apparently I over pronate a bit so I got a pair of shoes that compensate for that
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

sls.stormyrider

Runners World has a good "beginners" section - worth checking out for tips and motivation.

Shoes are obviously the most important equipment, but you will soon want - need other stuff too. Socks, shirts, shorts, etc. Stay away from cotton - get the "hi-tech" fiber stuff (different names depending on who makes it).
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

GBL

Quote from: slslbs on August 21, 2009, 11:25:37 PM
Runners World has a good "beginners" section - worth checking out for tips and motivation.

Shoes are obviously the most important equipment, but you will soon want - need other stuff too. Socks, shirts, shorts, etc. Stay away from cotton - get the "hi-tech" fiber stuff (different names depending on who makes it).

Thanks, I will def check that out..

WhatstheUse?

Knowing GBL, I totally thought this thread was going to be a joke. 

Guess not....

Run like the wind, Gavin!  :crazy:
Bring in the dude!

blatboom

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

G. Augusto

Once you start running, don't give up.
The first 2-3 weeks are gonna kick your ass.