News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jerry Garcia Band

Started by WhatstheUse?, March 19, 2010, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

JGB is something I know virtually nothing about and have listened to very little of.

Any advice on where to start/highlight shows/where to find them?
Bring in the dude!

UncleEbinezer

I'm a fan of JGB live at Shoreline DVD.  As for other shows, I can't really contribute to which are better than others.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

khalpin

Yeah, good luck getting any input from anyone here.   :roll:

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 19, 2010, 10:42:19 AM
JGB is something I know virtually nothing about and have listened to very little of.

Any advice on where to start/highlight shows/where to find them?

To add, I had a few friends in HS that had seen quite a few  :syf: shows at the time and they were adamant that in the 90's, JGB would outdo the Dead on any given day in their opinion.  Not sure if that was the general consensus, just relaying the thoughts from some serious Deadheads.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Buffalo Budd

Fixed, sorry BM.  My mistake.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

My advice is to start where it all started - Legion of Mary!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 19, 2010, 11:08:25 AM

annnnnddd..... you've lost me.  :-P
Bring in the dude!

Undermind

Quote from: Phishy69 on March 19, 2010, 11:08:01 AM
Fixed, sorry BM.  My mistake.

sorry had to smite you for that one!
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on March 19, 2010, 11:09:24 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Mary_%28band%29

QuoteLegion of Mary was an American rock band, formed by Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and his friend and musical collaborator Merl Saunders.[1][2][3] The band lasted from July 12, 1974 to July 5, 1975. Its members included Garcia (guitar and vocals), Saunders (keyboards), John Kahn (bass guitar), Martin Fierro (saxophone and flute) and Paul Humphrey (drums). Ron Tutt replaced Humphrey as the band's drummer in February 1975.[4]

In their concerts, Legion of Mary played rock music that had an eclectic mix of influences, including blues, funk, reggae, rock and roll, and especially jazz.[5] Performances included extended improvisation solos, which Garcia made famous with his role in the Grateful Dead. Their only official recording was released on Rhino Records in August 2005, under the name The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol 1: Legion of Mary; it is a two-disc set of live material.[6]
[e

birdman

Listen to Pie. He speaks the truth.
Paug FTMFW!

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 19, 2010, 11:11:10 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legion_of_Mary_%28band%29

QuoteLegion of Mary was an American rock band, formed by Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead and his friend and musical collaborator Merl Saunders.[1][2][3] The band lasted from July 12, 1974 to July 5, 1975. Its members included Garcia (guitar and vocals), Saunders (keyboards), John Kahn (bass guitar), Martin Fierro (saxophone and flute) and Paul Humphrey (drums). Ron Tutt replaced Humphrey as the band's drummer in February 1975.[4]

In their concerts, Legion of Mary played rock music that had an eclectic mix of influences, including blues, funk, reggae, rock and roll, and especially jazz.[5] Performances included extended improvisation solos, which Garcia made famous with his role in the Grateful Dead. Their only official recording was released on Rhino Records in August 2005, under the name The Jerry Garcia Collection, Vol 1: Legion of Mary; it is a two-disc set of live material.[6]
[e

Gracias, Senor.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Phishy69 on March 19, 2010, 11:02:27 AM
To add, I had a few friends in HS that had seen quite a few  :syf: shows at the time and they were adamant that in the 90's, JGB would outdo the Dead on any given day in their opinion.  Not sure if that was the general consensus, just relaying the thoughts from some serious Deadheads.

Not the first time I've heard people favoring 80's/90's JGB > 80's/90's GD....
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

And yeah, Legion of Mary is the shit.  The auds that I have heard have not been stellar but I may just have found the right ones.

PIE-GUY

Hey, BM, you still have that LoM "mix" somewhere? That was the shit!