News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

NOT directly related to the archive, but something i saw on another GD site i thought was interesting...

the 10 cd limited edition boxset of the fillmore west 69 shows is SOLD out.

i didnt know about it being limited edition, does anybody know if that means i'll never be able to get these shows, now that they're pulled from the archive.   I'm a little confused, but i haven't really looked into the details yet...

if so, that sucks, cause those shows are beast(3-1-69 is an all-timer).
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jonyem

I honestly didn't believe that was going to sell out, especially so fast. I hope that doesn't mean those of us not fast enough could get the shows via download (GDStore or archive.org). Mabye there's just a black out period that we have to wait to pass before they allow the trading of those shows. I hope that's the case, cuz this is only going to end up causing a true bootleg operation to spring up. Seems to me, their allowing free trading keeps bootlegs down, but I could see it grow.

sls.stormyrider

At a minimum, they should put the individual shows up for d/l or sale. I have no problem with them making some cash, but it seems like they are now going totally against the "family" atmosphere they cultivated with the heads. :-(
But then, I guess they don't really care what I think anyway.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

A three disc set of 'unreleased material' will come out.

this is material that IS on the box set but has not OTHERWISE been released.

Oh, and My box set has been purchased ;)

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 25, 2005, 07:59:48 PM
A three disc set of 'unreleased material' will come out.

this is material that IS on the box set but has not OTHERWISE been released.

so that means it will all be  available in one form or another...right?

what had previously  been released?

VA $l!m

while we are on the subject:

-anybody got any good achive recommendations from 69????

i need help w/ this year.

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 25, 2005, 07:59:48 PM

Me too.  It was sold out a few hours after I decided to pull the trigger!

VA $l!m

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 22, 2005, 06:46:44 PM
yo i just wanna thank you guys for finally being turned onto the Dead just as much as Phish; ive been on a Dead binge for about a month now...  10 or so discs bought, plus im at like 20 shows now i think.

i was wondering though, could somebody compile like... a list of the top 10 shows available at the archive from each year?  like, 68 onward.  (not that interested in 90's.. got other sources for them).  Im pretty new to the Dead in terms of being a collector/trader with dank show knowhow lol. 

but yeah that would be super chill, so thanks in advance

OKay gumbo, here's a few year by year rec.s for starters...maybe some other peeps can help w/ their own picks to help you out.

68: 2-14, 8-21>24, 10-12

71: 2-18, 4-5, 4-26>29, 11-7

72: ALL of it!!, just kidding: 4-29, 5-11, 5-23>26, 8-21>24,  8-27(from GDlive.com), 11-18

76: june & july.  the whole june run --boston music hall, beacon theatre, chicago...then the orpheum shows in july.
my favs= 6-11, 6-14, 6-29

78: 1-22, 4-12. 15. 16., 7-8

79: 10-25> 11-9

there's a few years i got somewhat of an idea as to my favs. of course its not definitve by any means, just somewhere to start.

as far as official releases, i highly recommend grabbing as many dicks picks as you can.  And I Esp. recommend 2-13-70,
5-2-70, 3-1-69, 6-18-74.....sh--,  all of them!
:mrgreen:
slim 

Itsnotanexperience

slim -

the 6/11/76 show has been getting tons of airplay in my vehicle, thanks to you - much thanks again for the hook on all those shows!!

sls.stormyrider

I'll have to check out the 76 shows you mentioned.
other suggetions
5/15/70 - 2 shows, each acoustic + electric (+NRPS)
8/6/71 - aud but a great show
11/17/73
late April - May 77 (discussed either earlier on this thread or another thread)

for official releases - Europe 72, Skull n Roses (I think all of those shows are on the archive still, Slim mentioned the best ones already but I have the dates if you like), Live Dead (2/69, some shows pulled from the archive), 2FTV (from 8/24, no longer available, but 8/23 is just as hot)
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VA $l!m

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on September 29, 2005, 04:18:42 PM
slim -

the 6/11/76 show has been getting tons of airplay in my vehicle, thanks to you - much thanks again for the hook on all those shows!!

glad you're enjoying "itsnot"   :-D

I think i've mentioned it before , but that 6-11 show was my 1st bootleg i got 15 yrs ago, and it's still the shit!
6-9 also gets an honrable mention from that run, with the 1st st.stephen in 5 years-- the SBd on the archive is the copy i have now, and the beginning of the set/ st. stephen is phat cause it starts off AUD. to get the crowd reaction then filters down to the board perfectly as the verse starts...incredible recording.

VA $l!m

RE: '70

5-15 is great slslbs,

5-14 is lesser quality , but hot as well.

2-2  just partial , but smokin.

2-11 is an obvious pick, but i personally think the cut in dark star is BRUTAL.

5-6  classic.

9-19 an archive must have!

10-31 old fav., both early and late shows...last Viola lee= phat.

11-8 ---AUD. , but its a shame to avoid this monster run at port chester because of the lack of SBDs...
**get the copy labeled "portchesterrestorationproject"-or something.  AND if your really brave check out the 4th disc of 11-6>>hot alligator--mountain jam!! >>don't be scared by the initial quality, check out disc 4!

slim. 

PS i almost forgot to say that to understand this year it is requisite, IMO, to obtain the official releases, including 2-13,
2-14, 5-2...

sls.stormyrider

Downloading 10/31 now - then will get 5/6

All I can say is I'm glad I just got a DVD burner. Between the GD thread, project 93, project 94, and other sick seeds my storage is totally used up.

If I only had more time to listen...

rowjimmy

all good shows above.
Lemme throw yet a little more love towards

10/31/70 - Stoneybrook rocks

6/29/76 - chicago. Best sounding Donna ever

mattstick

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 30, 2005, 09:23:45 PM
Best sounding Donna ever

I'm guessing that does'nt include the JGB Cats Under Stars tour? :)