News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Elite 8 - Round 4 - Gamehenge Region - 1-Phish v 11-Miles Davis

Started by UncleEbinezer, March 30, 2011, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Listened to Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, and On the Corner in succession.
I prefer 56-66, but all of it's mind blowing.
what's even more mind blowing is the evolution he made. If you took someone who never heard of Miles, played him Milestones, kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner and then told him the same guy led all those sessions, he wouldn't believe you.
The Beatles evolved over time, but not this much.

one other thing we haven't talked about - is that Miles was the primary force behind the "less is more", "make every note count", "the spaces are important" movement that moved the direction of jazz (attn Hicks - I didn't say invented or originated).
The guy was truly amazing.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

barnesy305

Quote from: slslbs on April 03, 2011, 09:46:55 PM
what's even more mind blowing is the evolution he made. If you took someone who never heard of Miles, played him Milestones, kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, Jack Johnson, and On the Corner and then told him the same guy led all those sessions, he wouldn't believe you.

one other thing we haven't talked about - is that Miles was the primary force behind the "less is more", "make every note count", "the spaces are important" movement that moved the direction of jazz (attn Hicks - I didn't say invented or originated).
I listened to Four and More and Somethin' Else today, two of my pre-Quintet faves. Gonna dive into the Plugged Nickel series this week.

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Igbo

Quote from: barnesy305 on April 03, 2011, 10:16:29 PM
Quote from: slslbs on April 03, 2011, 09:46:55 PM

I listened to Four and More and Somethin' Else today, two of my pre-Quintet faves. Gonna dive into the Plugged Nickel series this week.

Listened to the Jack Johnson record last night. Probably my fave Miles record, or On The Corner, or Someday my Prince Will Come

rowjimmy

phil

Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mistercharlie

Quote from: phil on April 04, 2011, 03:02:39 PM
If voting for phish is cool, consider me miles davis.

I'll tell you who voted for Phish, it was that damned sasquatch.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

zimbra

Quote from: McGrupp on April 02, 2011, 05:12:18 PM
Quote from: danje on April 02, 2011, 03:54:43 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 02, 2011, 02:21:40 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 02, 2011, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on April 02, 2011, 01:10:15 PM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on April 01, 2011, 01:47:26 PM
Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on April 01, 2011, 01:44:03 PM
And I'd like to see Phish improvise again.  I'm putting my money on miles.

Phish jammed way harder than Miles did.

94/95 Tweezers/Bowies etc. made In a Silent Way/Bitches Brew/Live Evil look like child's play.

:shakehead:

Child's play? What the hell are they teaching you up at Berklee?

:evil: I'm obviously playing a little Devil's Advocate here, but I am serious to an extent.

There is more full-band, exploratory, "the music can go anywhere, at any second" type of improvisation happening in the best of Phish jams

I agree.   :wtu:

I also agree.

Of course, we all agree with that - that's why we love to listen to phish!

There's just a big part of me that believes that improvisation as an art form would be totally different without Miles.

I also think he's a better musician than any of the guys in Phish, and more of a pioneer in the world of music in general.

I definitely listen to more phish than miles, but I have a greater respect for Davis' music and its importance. It just doesn't get much heavier than Miles!
QFT.
This is exactly how I feel about the subject.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

fauxpaxfauxreal