News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Tennis Thread

Started by phil, June 30, 2011, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

We watch a lot of tennis in my house and I think it's about time we had a thread to talk about it.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Buffalo Budd

I agree and +K for starting one.  We grew up on tennis and played pretty much every day from the time I was 13 til 18.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

phil

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 30, 2011, 08:21:49 AM
I agree and +K for starting one.  We grew up on tennis and played pretty much every day from the time I was 13 til 18.

Nice, that's pretty much how we all were/are. My mom's a tennis nut, plays probably ten hours or more a week.

Anyone watch the fifth set of that Federer-Tsonga match yesterday? that put a gigantic smile on my face (I hate Federer like most people hate Lebron)
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

mattstick

Prediction: this thread will get very little attention.

gah

Quote from: phil on June 30, 2011, 11:40:09 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 30, 2011, 08:21:49 AM

Nice, that's pretty much how we all were/are. My mom's a tennis nut, plays probably ten hours or more a week.

Anyone watch the fifth set of that Federer-Tsonga match yesterday? that put a gigantic smile on my face (I hate Federer like most people hate Lebron)

How can you hate Federer? Because he is/was so damn good? I think asides from being a great player, he's a really great guy too. Pretty humble in his losses to Nadal, and in general, of good character.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mattstick on June 30, 2011, 11:41:16 AM

Prediction: this thread will get very little attention.

Is this really necessary?

And I assume with pictures like SF posted, I may be checking in here often.   :wink:
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

Yes, it was imperative.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on June 30, 2011, 01:19:44 PM

Yes, it was imperative.
Boring day before a long weekend is all I can assume.

And Federer rocks imo.  One of the classiest guys in sports and has dominated tennis for longer than some players' careers are.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

phil

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 30, 2011, 02:40:18 PM

Yes, it was imperative.

And Federer rocks imo.  One of the classiest guys in sports and has dominated tennis for longer than some players' careers are.

I also hate pete sampras  :evil:

gah

Quote from: phil on June 30, 2011, 08:51:25 PM

Yes, it was imperative.

You're crazy.  Let's do it this way, who DO you like?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

phil

Quote from: goodabouthood on July 01, 2011, 10:53:12 AM

Yes, it was imperative.

My favorite of all time is Pat Rafter. Loved his style when he won the US Open (diving on hardcourts? who does that?), and was absolutely furious when he lost to Ivanisevic in the Wimbledon final in 01. When I play, I play serve and volley which is one of the reasons I was always drawn to Rafter as a kid, he did it better than anyone that was playing at the time.

Other favorites include Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Tsonga, Taylor Dent (again, I love a good net game), Djokovic, Tim Henman, Juan Martin Del Potro, Gael Monfils, among many others. I also gotta give a shoutout to Somdev Devvarman, homeboy played for U.Va. and SMACKED Isner in the final of the NCAA singles championship a few years back. He's somewhere around 40th in the world right now. I'm waiting with baited breath for him to get his big break.

Federer can suck it. His style of play bores me to tears. Love watching his interviews because he's super-intelligent and (imo) would make for one of the best commentators/analysts ever but I don't really care to watch his matches. In fact, unless it's a final, I rarely watch Federer's matches any more. I'd rather watch two players I know little about because that's more interesting to me (ever seen Fabrice Santoro's two-handed forehand? he may not be able to beat federer but he's way more intriguing to watch in my book)

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: phil on July 01, 2011, 11:06:26 AM

Yes, it was imperative.

My favorite of all time is Pat Rafter. Loved his style when he won the US Open (diving on hardcourts? who does that?), and was absolutely furious when he lost to Ivanisevic in the Wimbledon final in 01. When I play, I play serve and volley which is one of the reasons I was always drawn to Rafter as a kid, he did it better than anyone that was playing at the time.

Other favorites include Agassi, Lleyton Hewitt, Tsonga, Taylor Dent (again, I love a good net game), Djokovic, Tim Henman, Juan Martin Del Potro, Gael Monfils, among many others. I also gotta give a shoutout to Somdev Devvarman, homeboy played for U.Va. and SMACKED Isner in the final of the NCAA singles championship a few years back. He's somewhere around 40th in the world right now. I'm waiting with baited breath for him to get his big break.

Federer can suck it. His style of play bores me to tears. Love watching his interviews because he's super-intelligent and (imo) would make for one of the best commentators/analysts ever but I don't really care to watch his matches. In fact, unless it's a final, I rarely watch Federer's matches any more. I'd rather watch two players I know little about because that's more interesting to me (ever seen Fabrice Santoro's two-handed forehand? he may not be able to beat federer but he's way more intriguing to watch in my book)
Don't forget Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg, kings of the serve and volley.

Superfreakie

Sharapova v. some other chick in T minus 2 and a half hours.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

phil

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on July 02, 2011, 12:06:35 AM
Quote from: phil on July 01, 2011, 11:06:26 AM

Yes, it was imperative.

Don't forget Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg, kings of the serve and volley.

True but I was trying to keep my list to guys that I grew up watching/currently enjoy watching. I've never watched anything but snippits of Becker or Edberg's matches

And Kvitova is going down in two sets. It's about damn time Sharapova won herself another wimbledon. Aside from the williams sisters, I'd say her style is the best suited for grass court play of anyone in the game on the women's side.

Edit: below is a great photo of Maria Sharapova:

Second Edit: could not have been more wrong about how that match was going to go. Sharapova played nervous. WTF