News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fox News: At it again

Started by VDB, April 19, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Hicks on October 11, 2012, 12:05:36 AM
meh, Christine O'Donnell is hotter.

And she had that crazy "I'm a witch" vibe.

Although I would never have pegged you for a chubby chaser, Hicks.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on October 11, 2012, 12:35:06 AM

That's funny - I always say skinny girls are bitches because they're always hungry... I know how cranky I get when I haven't eaten in two days!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

"Fair and balanced" Fox News isn't trying to push the "Biden's a crazy old coot" narrative or anything...

(And what's that word supposed to mean, anyway?)
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 01, 2012, 10:53:13 AM
On NPR this morning, there was a story about a bunch of suspicious and potentially fraudulent voter-registration forms being turned in in Florida by a firm hired by the GOP.

Immediately, this is quite reminiscent of the whole ACORN episode when people were caught turning in registration forms for "Mickey Mouse" and other imaginary characters. Remember that scandal? Fox News and conservatives were all over it. Mention ACORN to a conservative today, and it will conjure up terrifying thoughts of liberal fraudsters and election thieves run amok. The episode helped fuel the atmosphere of suspicion and alarm that spawned GOP-lead initiatives to "secure" our democracy, e.g. through the wave of voter ID laws we've seen recently.

Any mention of this story on Fox News this morning? Not a one. Couldn't even find it on their "Politics" main page. What's up, FN, not so horrified by voter registration fraud any more? But don't worry, one of the top items on FN.com's front page right now is an opinion piece on "mainstream media is now a threat to our democracy." Got it.

edit: spelling...

Another one from the "Stories You Won't Find Covered By Fox News" file:

GOP registration worker charged with voter fraud
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on October 08, 2012, 09:01:10 AM
This morning's "Bias Alert" on FN.com is about a critical comment about Romney made by... David Letterman.

That's right, Fox is now mining late-night comedy shows for evidence of pervasive left-wing bias in the media.

And they didn't stop there. FN's front page is crying "bias" in pointing out that Romney gets made fun of more often by all late-night hosts than does Obama.

Fox News is obviously more interested in feeding their hysterical narrative of "liberal bias everywhere" (I think they are laying the groundwork for a full-on "blame the media" conspiracy theory in the event Romney loses) than they are in acknowledging some rather important realities.

First, it may just be possible that there's more to make fun of about Romney than there is about Obama. This false assumption that equal time and fairness and balance also apply to who's more easy to joke about is patently absurd. Look at Obama. Dude can be kind of boring. He doesn't really give comedians too much to work with. Other than your garden-variety black jokes (obviously off limits), what is there to say? Romney, on the other hand, provides more than enough material. You can't blame entertainers for playing the hand they're dealt.

And I know plenty of conservatives; I've heard them try to crack jokes about Democrats. They tend not to be very funny at all. Usually just some mean-spirited barb or hyperbole without humor. "Watch out, Comrade Obama is going to come getcha!" BWAHAHAHA! Maybe the zanier branch of the Republican party just opens itself up to more being made fun of because, well, it's zanier.

And secondly, these TV hosts are just entertainers. Maybe they do happen to be personally more liberal than conservative. So what; it's not the news. This is like complaining that Dennis Miller is part of some vast right-wing bias machine. He's allowed to say or think whatever he wants, and if there's a market for his brand of entertainment, more power to him. Maybe if these liberal talk-show hosts keep pushing the envelope, audiences will revolt and the networks will bring in some more conservative or neutral voices. Whatever happened to Fox New's unflinching faith in the free market to sort everything out? Why they gotta cry about it?
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Looks like Pew has had enough of all your unfounded speculation, VDB. Bring on the data!!

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/11/02/msnbc_fox_news_which_cable_channel_is_more_partisan_pew_report_suggests.html

MSNBC Hates Romney Even More Than Fox News Hates Obama

The Pew Research Center is out with a new report today looking at media coverage of the presidential campaign since this summer's conventions. It's got plenty of worthwhile tidbits and newsy nuggets, but the one that jumped out at us right away was this snapshot of just how segmented and partisan (and negative) cable news has been this election cycle:

The study ... reveals the degree to which the two cable channels that have built themselves around ideological programming, MSNBC and Fox, stand out from other mainstream media outlets. And MSNBC stands out the most. On that channel, 71% of the segments studied about Romney were negative in nature, compared with just 3% that were positive-a ratio of roughly 23-to-1. On Fox, 46% of the segments about Obama were negative, compared with 6% that were positive-a ratio of about 8-to-1 negative. These made them unusual among channels or outlets that identified themselves as news organizations.

And for you visual learners:

To be clear, the negative-positive-mixed trichotomy treats all negative coverage the same. It doesn't tell us whose negative coverage is the most negative in tone, nor does it make any kind of judgment on whether that coverage—be it of Obama or Romney—was journalistically sound. What it does suggest, however, is that MSNBC actually devotes a relatively larger chunk of its political coverage going after Romney than Fox does criticizing the president.

And what about CNN, the most moderate—and least loved—of the cable news trinity?

CNN stood between MSNBC and Fox in its treatment of the two candidates but Obama fared markedly better than Romney and better than in the media generally. On CNN, 18% of the stories about Obama were positive compared to 21% negative, a mixed narrative. In Romney's case, negative stories (36%) outnumbered positive (11%) by more than 3-to-1.

However, as with the press studied overall, if one removes horse-race stories from the equation, the tone of coverage of Obama and Romney becomes more comparable. In those stories not framed around the horse race, 13% were positive for Obama compared to 24% negative while 13% were positive for Romney compared to 30% negative.

For comparison, here's how the coverage broke down across the larger cross section of the major media outlets surveyed: For Obama, 19 percent of stories were clearly favorable, compared to 30 percent unfavorable and 51 percent mixed. For Romney, 15 percent of the coverage was favorable, compared to 38 percent unfavorable and 47 percent mixed.

But, as Pew explains, much of that imbalance is the result of the type of horse-race coverage that has come to dominate much of the political news cycle:

Throughout the eight-week period studied, a good deal of the difference in treatment of the two contenders is related to who was perceived to be ahead in the race. When horse-race stories-those focused on strategy, tactics and the polls-are taken out of the analysis, and one looks at those framed around the candidates' policy ideas, biographies and records, the distinctions in the tone of media coverage between the two nominees vanish.

With those stories removed from the equation, Obama's positive-negative split was 15 percent to 32 percent, while Romney's was 14 percent to 32 percent.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

twatts

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

VDB

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on November 07, 2012, 08:41:50 AM
Quote from: Undermind on November 07, 2012, 08:24:21 AM
So it's the media's "fault" Romney lost!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/11/07/five-ways-mainstream-media-tipped-scales-in-favor-obama/

To be fair, it is under the Opinion page...

Terry

Sure, but it occupies the same slot on the front page as Fox's "Bias Alerts" have for the past month or so -- taking one of the top four spots on their home page.

I've figured for a while that FN was setting its audience up for this kind of post-election "blame the media" narrative. And it's a little insulting to voters, don't you think? "How media tipped scales in Obama's favor" -- this says that everything should've been even and it was the media that made the difference. So I guess it had nothing to do with people making their own autonomous decisions...

And Jimbo, I can't help but feel that the most important thing about those data you showed isn't the big, in-your-face chart or the here's-a-conclusion-before-we-dive-too-deep-into-it overview, but the caveat that was largely burried at the bottom:

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 02, 2012, 07:42:20 PM
But, as Pew explains, much of that imbalance is the result of the type of horse-race coverage that has come to dominate much of the political news cycle:

Throughout the eight-week period studied, a good deal of the difference in treatment of the two contenders is related to who was perceived to be ahead in the race. When horse-race stories-those focused on strategy, tactics and the polls-are taken out of the analysis, and one looks at those framed around the candidates' policy ideas, biographies and records, the distinctions in the tone of media coverage between the two nominees vanish.

With those stories removed from the equation, Obama's positive-negative split was 15 percent to 32 percent, while Romney's was 14 percent to 32 percent.
Is this still Wombat?

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on November 07, 2012, 09:11:42 AM
And Jimbo, I can't help but feel that the most important thing about those data you showed isn't the big, in-your-face chart or the here's-a-conclusion-before-we-dive-too-deep-into-it overview, but the caveat that was largely burried at the bottom:

Quote from: runawayjimbo on November 02, 2012, 07:42:20 PM

Not my chart, Pew's chart.

And while I agree the caveat is notable, I'm not sure I agree that it matters that  the tone of the coverage is basically the same as long as you take out the "campaign" part of the "campaign coverage". I mean, that's kind of a big deal. That's like saying "Well if you take out Trey's tone and his technique and the band's uncanny onstage communication, 3.0 is totally the same as 1.0."

sls.stormyrider

most of it seems pretty bogus.
Romney had some major gaffs in Europe.
in 08,Obama's "guns and religion" was on the new like crazy, same with his pastor.
All politicians "stretch the truth" but Romney and Ryan made it an art
debate1 Romney "my health care plan covers pre existing conditions" - which is campaign "took back" several hours later. Even Ari Fleischer said it was a real head scratcher. Ryan's marathon time - reported as embarrassingly false (sub 3 hrs vs just over 4 hrs) by that well known pinko publication Runner's World.
and then, there's the Jeep fiasco (btw, Bain bought Delco when this was all going on and did, in fact, transfer jobs to China)
I could go on.

of course, the real reason Romney lost was Chris Christie and hurricane Sandy.

wait, wasn't Sandy an act of God?
What does that say about bias of the Supreme Being?
Jesus is a lefty
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."