News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fox News: At it again

Started by VDB, April 19, 2012, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 29, 2013, 02:01:39 PM
Quote from: PG on July 29, 2013, 11:50:00 AM
idiots being idiots... http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/is-this-the-most-embarrassing-interview-fox-news-has-ever-do

Wow....

Of course there's no point in dissecting this too much, but I'll point out the use of that time-honored Fox News tactic wherein they trot out "critics say..." and let those criticisms stand in for FN's underlying bias. Although in this case the host herself really didn't hold back much in that department.

My favorite part of that is when he says, "It's on page 2 of the book." PAGE 2!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VDB

He did a good job at swatting away all her bullshit comments, most of which it seems like she just made up on the fly hoping she was right or he wasn't paying attention. You can tell he's getting pretty sick of having to repeat the same explanation over and over for why he had the audacity to write his book.

But what else do you expect from a Fox News program that combines religion and debate?
Is this still Wombat?

emay

wow, lady could not let go of the fact that he was a muslim...and then proceeded to look like a complete moron by not reading the book.

Guyute

How much do I want to read this book now.   He is obviously intelligent and has a true interest in the history.   As soon as he was able to point out that he doesn't bring his faith in as a bias on the topic her whole line of questioning was shot to hell.

Sometimes lady you need to realize when you are out of your league and go with it rather than looking like a fool.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

rowjimmy

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 30, 2013, 08:44:00 AM
Fox news is awful but that Aslan guy is a real dink in his own way.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/07/29/before-you-sympathize-with-reza-aslan-remember-what-he-said-about-the-new-atheists/

QuoteBut Aslan, as far as I can tell, still gets it completely wrong on the subject of atheism.

As could be said of pretty much any person of faith, by definition. Little surprise that a (presumably practicing and devout) Muslim wouldn't have nice things to say about atheist thinking.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Not a surprise, no.

More of a reminder that this guy who claims to be such a scholar is also good at getting shit completely wrong.

mbw

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 30, 2013, 09:06:57 AM
Little surprise that a (presumably practicing and devout) Muslim wouldn't have nice things to say about atheist thinking.

heh. not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but you just made the same argument as the fox news broad.

VDB

Quote from: mbw on July 30, 2013, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on July 30, 2013, 09:06:57 AM
Little surprise that a (presumably practicing and devout) Muslim wouldn't have nice things to say about atheist thinking.

heh. not sure if this was tongue in cheek, but you just made the same argument as the fox news broad.

No -- my point is that a person of faith is obviously going to disagree with the fundamental tenet of atheism, and thus will have no trouble criticizing those who hold that view.

The FN host's point was that a religious scholar who's a Muslim has no business writing a scholarly, history-based work about Jesus of Nazareth in the first place. But actually, seeing as how the Koran describes Jesus as a prophet, virgin born, bestowed with the ability to perform miracles, and so therefore is obviously a special figure within Islam as he is within Christianity, I'd say it's perfectly appropriate for a Muslim to write about him. Just because there's another group of people who ascribe to the same fellow additional powers or privileges isn't anything a Muslim has to explain or apologize for.

Now if, within his book, Aslan were to write, "I must concluded that Jesus was, in fact, not the son of god," then we could all say "No duh," since Muslims don't believe that anyway. FN lady wasn't even sticking around to see if his book got to that basic crux.
Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

Dude's named after a magic lion, who is a jesus stand-in to begin with. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on July 30, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

Therefore = Expert

sls.stormyrider

to Fox news-
If you're going to interview an author, as a wise man once said...

READ THE FUCKNG BOOK
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

Quote from: kellerb on July 30, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

Just awesome
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 30, 2013, 09:44:36 AM
getting shit completely wrong.

Why is having an opinion about someone else's opinion "wrong"?

Did you read Hemant's page???  Its garbage:

The parallels with religious fundamentalism are obvious and startling: the conviction that they are in sole possession of truth (scientific or otherwise), the troubling lack of tolerance for the views of their critics (Dawkins has compared creationists to Holocaust deniers), the insistence on a literalist reading of scripture (more literalist, in fact, than one finds among most religious fundamentalists), the simplistic reductionism of the religious phenomenon, and, perhaps most bizarrely, their overwhelming sense of siege: the belief that they have been oppressed and marginalized by Western societies and are just not going to take it anymore. - ASLAN

Hement's reaction is to quote himself:
We're not in "sole possession of truth" but we do think science is the best method to discover it. Does Aslan think truth is found in a holy book?
Are we lacking tolerance? Of course not. You don't see us blowing up churches or beating up Muslims. We're vocal about our opposition to irrational thinking. That is all.
Dawkins compares Creationists to Holocaust deniers because both groups deny an obvious reality. That has nothing to do with tolerance.
Are we insistent "on a literalist reading of scripture"? If so, it's because the churches stress it. Nearly half of our country believes that men and women were created in our present form less than 10,000 years ago. That's appalling and idiotic.
We're thankful that many Christians don't take their scripture literally. Yet even they will insist that there's literal truth in the stories of Jesus' life.
Do we feel "oppressed and marginalized"? Damn right, we do. We're the most distrusted, least electable group of people in the country.

Doesn't he demonstrate the exact action on at least point one and two that informs Aslan's opinion??? 

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill