News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/15 - Bader Field - Atlantic City, NJ - Post-Show Discussion

Started by whatapiper, June 15, 2012, 11:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

Gumbo72203

Guys, this Birds.  First listen, loved it. 

Didn't feel forced, even the segue made perfect sense.  They totally could have milked it for like 4 more bars to make a PERFECT segue, because Fish starts up the beat on the 1 like how he switches beats from Sand -> Nellie Cane without "playing" into it.

Still, the fact that they're going from 2 completely different types of grooves with the segues is fucking awesome. 

Trey is all over this GBOTT.  This is a standout version for me, at least.  I'll remember this one. 

start of Twist is pretty chill too, love the playfulness.

precision will come along with even more confidence and command, but the loose, bold, playful aspect of the band here, guys...  i'm not sure how you can deny this.  These auds sound incredible.  The band is on.  Theres some off parts, but they're going for it with shit. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

OMG this Twist jam!!!!!

holy shit!!!!  Page on the Rhodes!!!!!!!

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

gah

Quote from: mattstick on June 16, 2012, 08:02:30 AM

Mike sounds great.  Trey needs to practice.

Valid statement that could be applied to any post show discussion.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Marmar

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 02:41:50 AM
Fuck me twice and sass me silly!  a 14 minute Birds!?!?!?!  FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Piper at 12 minutes...
Can we FINALLY fucking stop hating this band?  Please?  I mean, a 14 minute Birds for fucks sake.  14 MINUTE BIRDS!!!!!!!!!   WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?!
We've had extended unexpected improv in all 3 shows that matter so far this tour (Bonnaroo was expected to be lame), fucking a jam-peaked Boogie On, the first jammed Roses in forever, and now a 14 minute Birds.
They're jamming again guys.  This IS what you wanted, right?  like, I'm super curious, there is no bad vibes in this post at all (i'm actually serious, this isn't sarcasm.  I don't know how to convey that truth but i'm dead serious)
Can't wait for Sunday!!!  bahhh!!!!

Ok...fuck you, fuck you.

QuoteCan we FINALLY fucking stop hating this band?  Please?  I mean, a 14 minute Birds for fucks sake.  14 MINUTE BIRDS!!!!!!!!!   WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?!

No we can't. Big whoop, a 14 minute BoAF.....a 14 minute Birds is like taking a 3lb shit. What more do I want? Consistency.....less rip cords.....more music, less repeates.....

What was so "exploratory" or "unexpected" about jamming out on a chord progression......??? When is the last time you heard them turn a corner in unison, on the drop of a dime?.....

Granted, they are playing MUCH better than previous 3.0 shows but they still have a lot to work on before this jaded vet will cut em some slack.

ymmv...take it for what it is.

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Gumbo72203

"So what, they opened the show with a 40 minute YEM with rotation and silent jams.  They still followed it with Bouncin'.  So what, they played a 2nd set Gamehendge.  They still played first-set songs in the first set.  So what, they played a 30 minute Tweezer, they still played a Tweeprise encore.  Predictable.  So what, they brought back the post-tramps Simple jam in Mikes.  They still played a 7 minute Weekapaug later.  So what, they played a Gin -> Llama > Light -> Glide > Piper -> I Am Hydrogen > Chalkdust > Jibboo > Chalkdust first set.  They still played Show of Life in the 2nd set.  So what, they played Harpua -> Colonel Forbin's -> Mockingbird -> Harpua for the first time.  We still had to sit through Julius and Free to get there."

...is what this all sounds like to me.  No hate, just saying.  Just sounds like nothing will ever be good enough to let most of you enjoy what this band is doing. 

I mean, you're really saying "so what" to a 14 minute Birds.  in 3.0.  Really.  Do you hear yourself dudes?  Why can't you just let yourself get stoked about it?  Is it really that embarassing to admit you like something the band is doing?  Gotta let go of the past guys.  Gotta let go. 

no flames, just thoughts on keyboard. 

Gumbo72203

btw, the Twist yell during Piper?  Yeahhhh, all smiles. 

mattstick

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
I mean, you're really saying "so what" to a 14 minute Birds.  in 3.0.  Really.  Do you hear yourself dudes?  Why can't you just let yourself get stoked about it?  Is it really that embarassing to admit you like something the band is doing?  Gotta let go of the past guys.  Gotta let go. 

It's good... but if it's the best the band has to offer, it's not that exciting.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 10:11:49 AM
btw, the Twist yell during Piper?  Yeahhhh, all smiles. 

Agreed.  Fun stuff.

mbw

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
"So what, they opened the show with a 40 minute YEM with rotation and silent jams.  They still followed it with Bouncin'.  So what, they played a 2nd set Gamehendge.  They still played first-set songs in the first set.  So what, they played a 30 minute Tweezer, they still played a Tweeprise encore.  Predictable.  So what, they brought back the post-tramps Simple jam in Mikes.  They still played a 7 minute Weekapaug later.  So what, they played a Gin -> Llama > Light -> Glide > Piper -> I Am Hydrogen > Chalkdust > Jibboo > Chalkdust first set.  They still played Show of Life in the 2nd set.  So what, they played Harpua -> Colonel Forbin's -> Mockingbird -> Harpua for the first time.  We still had to sit through Julius and Free to get there."

...is what this all sounds like to me.  No hate, just saying.  Just sounds like nothing will ever be good enough to let most of you enjoy what this band is doing. 

get back to us when one of those things happens irl.

rowjimmy

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

gah

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 16, 2012, 02:41:50 AM
Fuck me twice and sass me silly!  a 14 minute Birds!?!?!?!  FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can we FINALLY fucking stop hating this band?  Please?  I mean, a 14 minute Birds for fucks sake.  14 MINUTE BIRDS!!!!!!!!!   WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?!

vs.

QuoteSuch was the case with "Birds of a Feather," the centerpiece of the entire show, and easily the most astounding music we've heard from the band in some time. Completely comfortable with the most wide-open jamming, the band crafted an incredibly dense tale of sorcery out of a song they hadn't touched in eons. Launching far from song structure and into a pure, Phish-wonderland, the band carved out completely original, and incredibly dense music for what seemed like an eternity. At ease where he once winced, Trey laid notably back at the onset of this jam, allowing Mike to lead the way into unknown territory with an assault of sublime bass lines. As Page and Fish were totally enmeshed with the group, at this juncture Phish transformed into modern day shamans, invoking spiritual revelations to anyone who had an open ear. This is the stuff of legends, when the guys come together to create music that one could never imagine. Again, this is why we come. It seems that anyone who has put any time into this band in past couple years will be getting their payoff in droves this summer, as the guys are on a totally enhanced level of communication—only four shows into tour—than we have seen anytime recently. The music is flowing effortlessly again, and when the band is moving as one, like they were last night, nothing in the universe can stop them.

in regards to substance the above proves that length does not make a difference.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.