News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Harddrive crash and recover

Started by twatts, December 01, 2013, 12:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twatts

OK, it seems we had a brown-out while we were gone for Thanksgiving and one of my externals decided that was a good time to give up the ghost...  Lost ~1.5tb of PH...  Sucks...  Its backed up for the most part in the fact the Jeff Mitchell has most everything, but I'd like to try and recover what's mine...

Any advice on how to recover a dead harddrive???  Its a Seagate External 2tb unit... 

Thanks!

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Superfreakie

You need to let us know exactly what is not working. Is it the motor? Is it that windows is not recognizing it? Is it bad sectors? More deets please.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

justjezmund

Do you have a tower pc?  If so I would just take apart external and plug the HDD into the motherboard and see if it is recognized and go from there.  There are also external enclosures that work if it's just a power supply issue.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

Marmar

Run chkdsk.....

If that doesn't work.....

Either HDDRegenerator or Spinrite......

If either of those cant make it work......its dead. Spinrite has saved a disc in my system more than once.....date of mfg.- 2001......13 years on a hard drive, not bad....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

twatts

OK, after some reading on the interwebz and some experimenting, I think I've figured out that its the power supply...  When I switch power connections, it runs just fine.  And the worked-just-fine drive I put in it place now all-of-a-sudden doesn't work...  When I crawled under my desk and felt the PS's, two of the three were slightly warm, while the third was cold...  I think that confirms it for me...

Hopefully the IT guy at work has one laying around that I can have... 

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

twatts

Got a new PS from the IT guy (he had about 20 different PS's in a box) and now the drive is back up and running...

Woohoo!!!  *knock on wood*

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will