News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Considering going vegetarian....

Started by Superfreakie, December 08, 2013, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: danje on December 08, 2013, 09:35:14 PM
I was vegetarian for 3 years. If you're a good cook it shouldn't be hard. Being a lazy college student though I just wasn't getting enough nutrition which made me stop.

I agree with this.

A vegetarian, or even possibly vegan, lifestyle seems to be the MOST healthy way you can live.... but that is only IF you do it right.  And that is a huge if....  it will take a lot of work/time

I am not a vegetarian by any means, but my GF is and from what I have witnessesd.... if you DO IT RIGHT.... (which, in my personal opinion, most vegetarians DON'T)--- it is very heathy.  Michelle can can definitely bring you some vegetarian cook books at new years that are all delicious and "quick" meals if you're interested.  Personally, I don't usually find them as "delicious" as she does -- but I see the benefits.

The fact is.... most meat we eat these days is not "healthy meat".  I personally don't view "MEAT" as the problem....but the unhealthy way that the majority of meat we consume is processed is unhealthy.

I guess I feel that humans should eat meat. Evolution has decided so. We are carnivores.  Yet, at the same time, the meat industry has become so extravagant, cruel and unfair it just isn't fair.

Simply, we as humans "take more than we need" -- if any of you have read the book "Ishmael" you know what I'm saying....  I feel like the eating meat isn't the problem. If we all killed our own meat...that would be be fair. One for one. It's the way the food chain works and has worked for millions of years. Unfortunately, humans have taken it to another level and that's where the problem lies, imo.

Anyways. Good luck. Even though I am not one -- I do believe a healthy, full balanced, vegetarian diet is the way to go. You can't go wrong with vegetables and fruits....
Bring in the dude!

birdman

What if a cow came up to you and insulted your mother. Would you be ok killing the animal?
Paug FTMFW!

sophist

My girlfriend's older sister is 27, and she runs multiple marathons a year.  In the 6-8 range a year and has been doing this for 3 years now.  She's completely vegetarian.  No meats at all.  It can be done. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Also, I am with Scott.  Personally, I eat meat, but I only buy from local butchers.  Never any super market.  Locally sourced meat that is treated ethically well is about the safest way to go.  Always grassfed beef, free range, organic, non corn fed chicken, and free range pork, lamb, etc.  I know in my neighborhood as well, we have multiple farmers' markets where you can buy locally sourced veggies too.  That's also the way to go in my opinion.  I fucking hate supermarket chains.  The way which most meat is processed, packaged, and even treated is utterly shocking and disgusting.  I also don't regular eggs anymore.  The local butcher by me carries quail eggs which are much healthier and safer than your run of the mill corn fed eggs at any supermarket. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mistercharlie

Quote from: birdman on December 09, 2013, 05:06:20 AM
What if a cow came up to you and insulted your mother. Would you be ok killing the animal?

"Don't kid yourself Jimmy, if a cow ever got the chance he'd eat you and everyone you care about."

And also,

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: slslbs on December 08, 2013, 08:47:43 PM
If God didn't want us to eat meat he wouldn't have given us these things

This is not the image you should post when you want people to reconsider giving up eating cows.

birdman

My mouth starts watering just glancing at that image.
Paug FTMFW!

sophist

I'm with RJ on the picture.  Confined, corn fed, literally hanging out in their own shit.  Pass.  I'd much rather see a free range picture. 

Superfreakie

It's interesting, because I was once a huge angler. I've fished everything, fly for Tarpon in the Keys, Black Marlin off the Northern Coast of Australia, Atlantic and Pacific Salmon, fresh water Sturgeon, Musky, all types of freshwater (I grew up on a river). But I have not fished in nearly a decade, and I can truly say I will never fish for sport again (I was eating them as well), unless it is a last resort for food come the apocalypse. 
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 09, 2013, 01:25:24 PM
It's interesting, because I was once a huge angler. I've fished everything, fly for Tarpon in the Keys, Black Marlin off the Northern Coast of Australia, Atlantic and Pacific Salmon, fresh water Sturgeon, Musky, all types of freshwater (I grew up on a river). But I have not fished in nearly a decade, and I can truly say I will never fish for sport again (I was eating them as well), unless it is a last resort for food come the apocalypse.

Well, if you haven't fished in a decade, I can't see that being too hard to give up.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 09, 2013, 01:28:44 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on December 09, 2013, 01:25:24 PM

Well, if you haven't fished in a decade, I can't see that being too hard to give up.

You misunderstood my point. I gave up fishing ten years ago due to animal cruelty. That was decided. Done. However, what I'm pointing out is that the impetus to give up fishing is the same one that is now manifesting itself in my consumption and choice of food.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Buffalo Budd

Ahhh, got ya.
I gave up red meat for awhile in college but I felt like I was missing out every Summer when people would be BBQing T-bones on the grill.  I don't eat much red meat anymore, the odd steak here and there is about it.  My favourite resto in town is actually the only Vegetiarian joint.  We eat there all the time and I have quite a few friends who have been doing it properly for years. 
It's worth it if you have the will power.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

gah

I've been vegetarian since March, and think I eat pretty healthy. But I'm no athlete so I can't help you there. I did for the same reasons as previously mentioned. I was also vegetarian for 2 years while in college but at that time didn't do it the healthy way.

+k to mrc for the simpsons reference, and wtu for the Ishmael reference, great book.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mistercharlie

If you are considering giving up eating meat due to the unethical treatment of the animals do a little research into Ag-gag and what you find will surely sicken you enough to make you stop eating it. Although once you go down that rabbit hole it won't be long before eggs and dairy become unedible to you as well. The way that cows are treated to get milk and the constant impregnating and then slaughtering are almost as bad as the cows that we eat.

I have stopped eating red meat, but just can't get myself to stop drinking milk and eating cheese. I eat mainly free-range chicken and a little pork (bacon is like crack, there's no kicking the habit).

If you want to do more for the well-being of farm animals check out Farm Sanctuary, they do a lot to make the lives of farm animals better.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

I gave up red meat over twenty years ago.

yuck