News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/27/14 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Started by Bobafett, October 28, 2014, 03:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Sounds like you guys haven't listened to much 2.0, when Big Red is off the wagon there's nary a ripcord to be heard.   

As for intentionally playing out of key, I would submit every whale jam from the past five years as Exhibit A.

I heart this post.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Hicks

Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 10:53:13 PM
Sounds like you guys haven't listened to much 2.0, when Big Red is off the wagon there's nary a ripcord to be heard.   

I'm not talking about ripcording at all. I'm talking about not even able to play his fucking guitar. Either completely fucking lost, or playing, as Caravan said, his own concert. There are some real scary moments if you listen carefully, as I have the past few shows. This about his playing ability, not song selection or ripcord. I saw shows this summer, I caught the NYE run, did AC last year. I have come to enjoy some of 3.0 and believe that fall was a high water mark. But nothing sounds like this......nothing.

Anyway, whatever, if people can't hear it so be it. But to me it is stark. It's either that or he's having problems with his hands. This is not the same Trey from the past couple years. Sorry, not even close.   

So you are saying you can't hear how awful this Reba jam from 2013 is?

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2013-07-12/reba
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2014, 11:29:09 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 10:53:13 PM

I'm not talking about ripcording at all. I'm talking about not even able to play his fucking guitar. Either completely fucking lost, or playing, as Caravan said, his own concert. There are some real scary moments if you listen carefully, as I have the past few shows. This about his playing ability, not song selection or ripcord. I saw shows this summer, I caught the NYE run, did AC last year. I have come to enjoy some of 3.0 and believe that fall was a high water mark. But nothing sounds like this......nothing.

Anyway, whatever, if people can't hear it so be it. But to me it is stark. It's either that or he's having problems with his hands. This is not the same Trey from the past couple years. Sorry, not even close.   

So you are saying you can't hear how awful this Reba jam from 2013 is?

http://www.phishtracks.com/shows/2013-07-12/reba

I'm not talking about a mangled song here and there, they've always been there. And the pedal was a creative crutch, no doubt. But I'm talking about mangled shows, for extended periods of time. I'm talking about a precipitous drop off in technique in the span of two months. Like I said, if you can't hear it, so be it. Let's hope it simply implies that they are practicing something sick for Halloween, otherwise looks like I may be big time disappointed.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

As for intentionally playing out of key, I would submit every whale jam from the past five years as Exhibit A.

Well, I'm not talking about ripcording and the issues with the past few shows have not been ripcording, in fact, I would have welcomed a ripcord in last nights Ghost.  And while I get your point about the whale, at least when he tried to use the whale he was playing in the correct key (i.e.: position on the fretboard) he was just not bending up to the right key, so yes, the whale is "out of key" but he's not playing the whole song a half-step (fret position) away from the rest of the band.  Funnlily enough, if he had played the whale in last nights Ghost, it might have actually been in key since he was a fret off, lol.  Someday, the two will converge lol.

Hicks

All I'm saying is that while I agree that this tour hasn't been very inspired/interesting/whatever, I don't think it's really that far off from the bulk of the band's output in 3.0. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2014, 11:46:11 PM
All I'm saying is that while I agree that this tour hasn't been very inspired/interesting/whatever, I don't think it's really that far off from the bulk of the band's output in 3.0.

See, I tend to think it is. I started liking some of the 3.0 output in 2012. Saw some good shows that summer. Then drop off summer 2013, then awesome fall, then the expected drop off at NYE due to the layoff. This 2014 summer was a step back from last fall, no doubt, but to be expected due to the layoff and having not been playing for the same duration of time that led up to fall 2013 (summer>studio wingsuit>fall tour). But this fall is wow. And it's not the band, its Trey. And it's not rust. He has an Orchestra tour coming up, is releasing an album with TAB. He's clearly playing his instrument. So then how is it that some of his performances have been jaw droppingly bad? Eh, who knows. But the regression just seems so huge.   
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

It would be cool if there were a thread that was about this tour as a whole so you could keep this vein of discussion going coherently rather than restarting it in each show's thread.

http://week4paug.net/index.php?topic=21621.0

VDB

I for one enjoyed this Ghost.

And for all the (well deserved) talk of Trey routinely struggling with his axe this tour, I was pleasantly surprised by how good he sounded in this Bug (a song I usually skip). Like, not even "by 3.0 standards" good but just plain good.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

VDB

Songs like Rift and Maze are helpful for determining how Trey's chops are on a given night. I'm fairly down on those songs this era because, well as we all know, Trey can't attack a song like Rift or Maze like he used to. (No news flash there.) But on this night at least, I thought they had a little extra oomph than we're used to: Rift a little more energy and punch, Maze some more fireworks in the late trilling. Now, Maze further suffers these days from Trey's refusal to extend his solo and take the time to build up actual tension like they once did, but that's as much a decision-making issue as a technical one.
Is this still Wombat?

Marmar

Phish Fall Tour 2014 = teh suck....teh BIG suck.
Trey SERIOUSLY needs to get some chops back. Its embarrassing to say the least. My 3yr old can seriously jam better than he has this entire tour.

Phish.....take a few weeks and PRACTICE.....PLEASE.

I'm starting to think Trey has nerve damage or something from the droogz.....if Steve Vai and Joe Satriani (just to name a couple "old" shredders) can still perform at near the peak of their abilities, there is NO excuse for Mr. Anastasio to not be able to do the same.....except for laziness/complacency or damage from droogz.

Trey...man up.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

runawayjimbo

Kinda surprised at the lack of reaction to a Walfredo opener. Granted I'm listening to phishtracks on shitty headphones at work, but it didn't sound like there was much appreciation for a song that's been only been played in the states 2 other times.

Nice shoutout to Adam from Trey per PG's link above.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

VDB

I'll have to differ with the right honorable Mar.... Trey's chops are not what they once were, we all know that, but he was far from a disaster in this particular show. Bug was great, there were quality moments in the Slave, 46 Days was its usual peaky self with some nice licks thrown in, ditto CDT, see my above remarks on Rift and Maze, etc. I'll definitely grant that Trey has been hit or miss (including and at times glaringly so on this tour), but I wouldn't say it's been an unqualified failure.
Is this still Wombat?

cactusfan

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 30, 2014, 10:24:06 AM
Kinda surprised at the lack of reaction to a Walfredo opener. Granted I'm listening to phishtracks on shitty headphones at work, but it didn't sound like there was much appreciation for a song that's been only been played in the states 2 other times.

Nice shoutout to Adam from Trey per PG's link above.

i was there, and there was a huge reaction. just having the band walk onstage and take up the wrong instruments drove the crowd nuts. as for the song itself, you could tell some people were way into it, while some of the less informed didn't know what the hell it was.

VDB

I always wonder what venue staff or n00bs think when they open with Walfredo. "Uh, wait, I'm not sure these guys are very good..."
Is this still Wombat?