News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Dead & Company Fall Tour/Halloween/NYE Run

Started by emay, August 24, 2015, 04:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

rowjimmy

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Well I know I was talkin' shit but I'll eat my words hear.

Just watched a bunch of YouTubes from the Albany show and Mayer did not suck.

Even though none on the stuff I watched was 'type 2' jamming per say, the guy sounded pretty on point.
Bring in the dude!

Multibeast12

Went to the show last night, and John Mayer blew away my expectations of him, i thought he sounded really good. They are sounded good. Except my one complaint is how some songs are so much slower. The Touch of Grey encore was played really well, but just a such a slow pace there was not that much energy. BUt all around i thought the show was good, besides the terrible segue from Slipknot > Franklins.

Also i would not of minded if Mayer sang on some more songs. I thought his voice sounded really good on the ones he did sing.

rowjimmy

anthrax

Super surprised there hasn't been a webcast announcement

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

WhatstheUse?

Alright, so after further inspection here -- My initial thoughts on Mayer were kinda re-confirmed.

The dude CAN play, I'm def more impressed with his technical ability and creativity that I thought I would be. It's not just blues licks either, he's doing some nice stuff in his solos.

BUT, it still is way more of him 'soloing' on top of the band, than 'full band jamming'.  Which, that was only really noticeable in the songs that usually go deep type-2 (like that Playin' jam above) -- it definitely didn't feel like the music could veer off in any direction at any given moment. I'm not sure Mayer understands how to jam like that.  But, like I said, those instances are the minority.  His playing style works pretty well for the majority of Dead tunes that are guitar solo based 'jams' over a set progression.
Bring in the dude!

Buffalo Budd

I just gave the Morning Dew a spin and it was pretty freakin' good but I do see where you're coming from WTU. May try listening to the Terrapin later.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Igbo

My GF got me tix for the DC show for my birthday. Actually really excited to go and check it out. Hard not to compare the FTW shows to this band but will keep an open mind.

Lifeboy

I've been pleasantly surprised with what I've heard so far. Like Igbo said though: it's hard not to compare it to FTW...

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 22, 2015, 08:52:24 PM
This picture amuses me.

Something here is not like the other....

Dudes definitely got some fashion sense....
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Superfreakie

Picked up PIT tickets for Worcester on Tuesday next week. Looking forward to getting my groove on.  :banana:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

August