News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What's your favorite opener, and why?

Started by Gundo, October 29, 2015, 03:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

I know this forum has history and all, but right now i don't want to spend the next 30 minutes trying to find it. Anyway's, I've always been interested in why fans prefer a certain opener over other songs in the catalog. So tell me your's...

:rockout: :banana:

birdman

Buried Alive. Because it's frigging awesome.
Paug FTMFW!

Gundo

Buffalo Budd

Punch You in the Eye
Soul Shakedown Party is always a fun start to the night.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

August

jam>

The Curtain was the first to came to mind. Buried Alive is a great call!

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

rowjimmy

Quote from: birdman on October 29, 2015, 05:49:25 AM

This.
With the exception of Vegass '04, after 1993 it became a signpost for a great show.

Gundo

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 29, 2015, 07:42:05 AM
Quote from: birdman on October 29, 2015, 05:49:25 AM

This.
after 1993 it became a signpost for a great show.
Ha! I've thought about that a lot. As an opener it never fails to get me amped up as soon as I hear Page and the cowbell.

pcr3

Punch You in the Eye. Seems like a statement, and shows I've attended where they opened with it have all been great.

Also, Buried Alive.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mistercharlie

Bathtub Gin... because Riverport '98!

But Buried Alive is a great choice also.
And the Divided Sky opener for 8/13/96 made me love that song as an opener also.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Gundo

Love Buried Alive a whole lot, but I think I'm have to go with a Sloth opener.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

birdman

Quote from: GBL on October 29, 2015, 09:40:32 AM
Tweezer Reprise

Because Tweezer Reprise
This is a great choice. Ive seen three tweeprise openers
Paug FTMFW!

WhatstheUse?

I gotta go with Buried Alive as well. There's other songs I like more -- But nothing else makes quite the statement like Buried Alive opener. Like RJ pointed out, it's almost always the sign of a great show to come.

Can't go wrong with a Llama opener. Runaway Jim>Foam is another classic combo that get's me psyched...

I listened to some Aug93 show recently that opened with BBFCFM. That shit ruled face.
Bring in the dude!