News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What's your favorite opener, and why?

Started by Gundo, October 29, 2015, 03:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 10:53:23 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2015, 10:42:37 AM
I damn near lost my shit when they opened with Alumni at Camden '10.

Alumni > BBFCFM no less!  :crazy:

Oh shit, was thinking there was a something in between but that's right. I remember I was standing near these pretty young kids who had no clue what was going on as BBFCFM started. I was raging so hard I think they moved.

Quote from: sunrisevt on October 29, 2015, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2015, 10:42:37 AM
I damn near lost my shit when they opened with Alumni at Camden '10.

Buried Alive, Runaway Jim, and Mike's are all also excellent answers.

I mentally dq'd Jones Beach 2012 for this discussion b/c the two openers were such anomalies...

The week I moved out of my ex's house,  :phish: opened consecutive shows with Skin It Back and Alumni, the two unicorns I'd been chasing--loudly--for my entire history w/ the band.

I'm still not entirely convinced they didn't somehow know what I needed to hear.

Good point, maybe not standard openers, but openers nonetheless.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

JPhishman

"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

natronzero

Buried Alive's got my vote for all-time King Opener.
I'm also partial to this little stick of dynamite -
QuoteOctober 29, 1994
Spartanburg, SC (USA)
Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium

Set 1: My Friend, My Friend, Sparkle > Simple -> Runaway Jim, Foam, Lawn Boy, Split Open and Melt[1] -> Buffalo Bill -> Makisupa Policeman -> Rift

Set 2: Down with Disease -> The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday > Avenu Malkenu > The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday -> Sparks > Uncle Pen, You Enjoy Myself, Hold Your Head Up > Bike > Hold Your Head Up, Run Like an Antelope -> Sleeping Monkey > Run Like an Antelope

Encore: Harry Hood
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Buffalo Budd

Natron, that would get a vote from me as well, I love that show.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

anthrax

buried alive, pyite, and wilson are all time classic openers because they bring the energy up and usually signal a great show to come. 

soul shakedown and partytime (:ducks:) are fun in the proper outdoor setting.

but a mike's opener makes me the most happy.  the show setlist is filled with endless possibilities to come.

Bobafett

Methinks buried alive at any point in the first 3-4 songs is a great sign, but PYITE is at the top of my list.  AC/DC is secondi. 
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

PIE-GUY

Old school: Buried Alive, pyite, or RunJim

New school: PARTY TIME!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

Buried Alive, Llama, and Mike's would top off my list of favorites. 

As far as one that hasn't been mentioned yet, I love a good CTB opener. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

cactusfan

i've never seen so much agreement in any thread about a favorite phish...song/show/anything. interesting.

i too would pick PYITE, Buried Aive and Llama. Mike's and Tweezer are nice, too.

though i think August makes a good case with Crowd Control. nobody doesn't like a tasty "Crowl" as the cool kids call it.

sls.stormyrider

Buried Alive
AC/DC Bag

After Midnight (Manchester 2010) didn't suck
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Caravan2001

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 02, 2015, 08:45:08 PM
Also, not mentioned, but obvious: Yamar

Hard to beat that one on a warm summer night @ an outdoor shed!
Bring in the dude!

VDB

I will cosign what's been said here so far.

I'll also add that the Character Zero opener at Alpharetta 2011 (first Zero opener, I believe) was pleasantly and surprisingly effective.
Is this still Wombat?