News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

The Legend of Zelda Turns 30 Today

Started by mistercharlie, February 21, 2016, 06:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Can you believe it's been 30 years since this game first came out? I logged SO MANY hours into this game growing up and all of it's subsequent sequels. I really think that a lot of my rational problem-solving skills were helped to develop by the puzzles in these games.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Link to the Past

anthrax

mbw

zimbra

Quote from: mbw on February 21, 2016, 06:41:15 AM
1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess
5. Link to the Past

I'd put this as my #1 console game of all time, I've never logged as many hours into a console game as this.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mistercharlie

1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess

5. Link to the Past

I've not played anything on the Gamecube or later. (Someday I'll probably buy a Wii and play them all. They're all on Wii now,right?) But are you telling me that those two are better than Link to the Past? Looks like I need to buy a Wii sooner and try them out. Link to the Past is one of my all-time favorite games.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 21, 2016, 03:05:02 PM
1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess

5. Link to the Past

I've not played anything on the Gamecube or later. (Someday I'll probably buy a Wii and play them all. They're all on Wii now,right?) But are you telling me that those two are better than Link to the Past? Looks like I need to buy a Wii sooner and try them out. Link to the Past is one of my all-time favorite games.

Ser?  Link to the Past blew.  Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are awesome.  You can buy WW for gamecube and play it on Wii.  TP is a wii game.

Eta:  nevermind.  I was thinking of zelda II.  That blew.  Never played Link to the Past.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mbw on February 21, 2016, 04:19:08 PM
1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess

5. Link to the Past

Ser?  Link to the Past blew.  Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are awesome.  You can buy WW for gamecube and play it on Wii.  TP is a wii game.

Eta:  nevermind.  I was thinking of zelda II.  That blew.  Never played Link to the Past.

If you never played it how'd you rate it above Majora's Mask and the other Wii/Gamecube ones?

And Zelda II was fun but is was not on par with the other games in the franchise. It's more of a platform jumper than a true Zelda game.

mbw

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 21, 2016, 06:09:06 PM
Quote from: mbw on February 21, 2016, 04:19:08 PM
1. Ocarina of Time
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. The Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess

5. Link to the Past

If you never played it how'd you rate it above Majora's Mask and the other Wii/Gamecube ones?

Because I was thinking of zelda II.  Never played majoras mask either.
Didnt really play much SNES I guess..

phil

Majora's mask sometimes gets a bad rap but it's basically a beefed-up version of Ocarina of Time, albeit LOADS more difficult and dealt with some pretty dark themes (I mean virtually every NPC talks to you about their impending doom/the inevitability of death/etc.)

Seriously, I never came close to beating that game until Google became a thing.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

runawayjimbo

Dude beats Ocarina of Time in 17 mins 45 secs

Great game, Majora's Mask can suck it.

Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

mistercharlie

Quote from: phil on February 23, 2016, 08:48:25 AM
Majora's mask sometimes gets a bad rap but it's basically a beefed-up version of Ocarina of Time, albeit LOADS more difficult and dealt with some pretty dark themes (I mean virtually every NPC talks to you about their impending doom/the inevitability of death/etc.)

Seriously, I never came close to beating that game until Google became a thing.

The only way I was able to beat Majora's was with the Brady Games Strategy Guide. It laid out what everyone was doing and were they were going to be for the entire course of the three days. I bought it after getting pretty frustrate trying to beat it on my own.

Caravan2001

I was so addicted to the first one.  Spent days playing it.