News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2020 Democratic Primary Poll (NOW WITH VOTE CHANGING!)

Started by mistercharlie, April 19, 2019, 09:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Quote from: VDB on February 27, 2020, 10:48:45 AM
Quote from: mehead on February 26, 2020, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: VDB on February 26, 2020, 11:40:50 AM
Of all the wild and unrealistic promises and flagrant misrepresentations of presidential authority that we're getting from candidates this campaign season, the one currently sticking deepest in my craw is Bernie's false claim that by descheduling weed it would "effectively legalize marijuana in every state in the country." It's a reckless promise. What makes him say this?

Because Bernie is gonna be Bernie and I think his base will slurp this up. And he said this will take place on day one of his presidency.

Either he knows better or he doesn't. Either way that's a problem.

Can you explain this?  I heard him say the other night that he "recently found out that" descheduling would legalize in every state.
What is wrong with that premise?  I genuinely don't know, and I like to think Bernie knows what he is talking about when it comes to the law.

VDB

Quote from: mbw on March 03, 2020, 12:27:50 PM
Of all the wild and unrealistic promises and flagrant misrepresentations of presidential authority that we're getting from candidates this campaign season, the one currently sticking deepest in my craw is Bernie's false claim that by descheduling weed it would "effectively legalize marijuana in every state in the country." It's a reckless promise. What makes him say this?

Because Bernie is gonna be Bernie and I think his base will slurp this up. And he said this will take place on day one of his presidency.

Can you explain this?  I heard him say the other night that he "recently found out that" descheduling would legalize in every state.
What is wrong with that premise?  I genuinely don't know, and I like to think Bernie knows what he is talking about when it comes to the law.

There's federal drug scheduling and then there are state drug laws, which are the ones people get charged with then they get arrested for dope. Presidents don't have the power to unilaterally change state laws. (Thank god.)

Now, I'm all in favor of descheduling weed and it could well pave the way for legalization in some places. It needs to happen, like, yesterday. But I think it's irresponsible for presidential candidates to promise people things they can't deliver, and (in this and other arguments) to advance misconceptions about how much power a president actually has.

This article gets into some of the complexities on the weed thing.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

So there are laws are specific to cannabis, and not to their schedule?
I think I get it.

Anyway, here's Fish.

GBL

Quote from: VDB on March 03, 2020, 12:52:47 PM
Quote from: mbw on March 03, 2020, 12:27:50 PM

There's federal drug scheduling and then there are state drug laws, which are the ones people get charged with then they get arrested for dope. Presidents don't have the power to unilaterally change state laws. (Thank god.)

Now, I'm all in favor of descheduling weed and it could well pave the way for legalization in some places. It needs to happen, like, yesterday. But I think it's irresponsible for presidential candidates to promise people things they can't deliver, and (in this and other arguments) to advance misconceptions about how much power a president actually has.

This article gets into some of the complexities on the weed thing.

Which is what every politician does, and why a lot of people are feeling the bern.

"Medicare for all!"

and who's gonna pay for it?

"Mexico!"
If this is love, I'm never going home..

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

mbw

Reminder that some of you were going to vote for this walking, talking meaningless platitude.