News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

We talkin’ Aliens up in here!

Started by WhatstheUse?, November 29, 2017, 12:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Lack of empirical evidence makes me lean towards no.

However, pure probability based on the time earth has existed, how much longer the universe has existed, and how unfathomably large it is makes me think.... probably.
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

It's one of the best sequels of all time, plus it's got a badass in it named Hicks. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mbw

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 29, 2017, 12:25:52 PM
and how unfathomably large it is makes me think....

this here is the problem.  the vast distances which would have to be traveled, is, as far as we know, impossible.
i always get a kick out of the 'crashed ufo' thing.  they figured out how to travel at light speeds across ridiculous distances, find us, and then they can't stick the landing. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on November 29, 2017, 12:37:11 PM
It's one of the best sequels of all time, plus it's got a badass in it named Hicks.

This.

Also,
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 29, 2017, 12:25:52 PM

However, pure probability based on the time earth has existed, how much longer the universe has existed, and how unfathomably large it is makes me think.... probably.

If you're gonna apply probability you need to factor in a few other things:

Given the sheer number of planets, it's highly probable that an intelligent species exists elsewhere in the universe.
However,
Given the sheer number of planets and extreme distances between them, it's highly improbable that an intelligent alien species that is capable of interstellar travel had any reason to even LOOK in the direction of our planet, or that, had they looked, would have seen anything given that the artificially generated EM signals will only have reached a few thousand stars in their <600 trillion miles traveled since we started broadcasting in 1920.

That said, I tend to subscribe to the theory that, were an intelligent species to come here, we'd likely be in for a world of trouble because they'd
A) likely be looking for resources
and
B) be technologically advanced well beyond our capacity to defend.

Quote from: mbw on November 29, 2017, 01:06:04 PM
the vast distances which would have to be traveled, is, as far as we know, impossible.
i always get a kick out of the 'crashed ufo' thing.  they figured out how to travel at light speeds across ridiculous distances, find us, and then they can't stick the landing.

Breaking the "sound barrier" was once considered impossible so I try not to think in such absolutes.
Your second point is spot on.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

mbw

i voted no, but i also have seen a ufo.

VDB

I'll agree with many of the points already made. While I think the odds (against a visit) speak for themselves, I'll also allow that any life form with the technology to travel interstellar distances could well also have technology to vet destinations with a precision and scale we cannot fathom. So that, perhaps, could balance out the odds problem. But I still voted no.
Is this still Wombat?

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mbw on November 29, 2017, 01:06:04 PM
this here is the problem.  the vast distances which would have to be traveled, is, as far as we know, impossible. 

I don't disagree.... but if there is a civilization that has existed billions and billions of years longer than us, maybe they've figured that out.

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 29, 2017, 01:13:49 PM
Given the sheer number of planets and extreme distances between them, it's highly improbable that an intelligent alien species that is capable of interstellar travel had any reason to even LOOK in the direction of our planet, or that, had they looked, would have seen anything given that the artificially generated EM signals will only have reached a few thousand stars in their <600 trillion miles traveled since we started broadcasting in 1920.

Good point. But maybe in 13.8 billion years time (since the Big Bang) somebody out there just happened to come this way.... by chance. That's a long time.  Things happen....

Quote from: mbw on November 29, 2017, 02:38:55 PM

I have a couple stories that involve seeing objects that I couldn't describe in the sky.  Most of those stories start with....'I was tripping this one time and....' so I can't exactly vouch for my own credibility.
Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Somebody here's gotta have an uncle, who worked with a guy, who used to work for NASA, and came across some Top Secret documents in 1972 or something.... right?
Bring in the dude!

Hicks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Filter

Civilizations always destroy themselves before gaining the capability of interstellar travel. 

Just look around, we are currently circling the filter. 

Having said that, the aliens are already here, we call them "plants". 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

anthrax

I definitely saw aliens during a couple fall 97 shows

GBL

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 29, 2017, 02:59:12 PM
Quote from: mbw on November 29, 2017, 02:38:55 PM

I have a couple stories that involve seeing objects that I couldn't describe in the sky.  Most of those stories start with....'I was tripping this one time and....' so I can't exactly vouch for my own credibility.

I remember camping at Deer Creek in 09 or 10, and the night before the first show Me, MBW and Tait were sitting around outside talking and I saw something in the sky.  It was a weird light far off in the distance, totally strange and unique, never seen anything like it.  I kind of started to freak out because it was so weird.

A minute or so later realized it was a plane that was basically flying straight toward us on the horizon.  Optical illusions are fun (so are drugs).
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mbw