News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Your Favorite Albums of 2017

Started by August, December 08, 2017, 06:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

rowjimmy

Hicks

But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

GBL

This year was pretty legit, imo, will may make for some tough choices
If this is love, I'm never going home..

jam>

I'm working my way through this guys list of reissues and beyond.
https://aquariumdrunkard.com/

mattstick

Buffalo Budd

I know it was recorded in 76 or wtv but Hitchhiker is pretty high up on my list.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: jam> on December 20, 2017, 09:46:46 AM
I'm working my way through this guys list of reissues and beyond.
https://aquariumdrunkard.com/

Always a good list at AD.

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 20, 2017, 10:50:22 AM
I know it was recorded in 76 or wtv but Hitchhiker is pretty high up on my list.

Totally counts as 2017, imo.

mopper_smurf

Finished compiling my list. Sweet blog posts 12/28-31
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

August

Well, if you've been following on Instagram, I've been counting down my favorite albums that I picked up during the year. Now you get first crack at the top spots ;)

15) Broken Social Scene/Hug of Thunder

After a hiatus and some side projects, BSS released their much anticipated release seven years after their last proper studio album in 2010. "Hug of Thunder" essentially picks up where "Forgiveness Rock Record" left off, although it lacks any real risk taking or growth. Not a bad thing as the album still rocks in true BSS fashion, but a more adventurous effort might have found this on my platter a few more times during the year.

14) Woods/Love Is Love

I was originally underwhelmed by this album, but a few more listens revealed the onion layers. A bunch of slow burners make up this collection with some pretty trancelike stuff. Woods are currently on a roll. If you're looking to start up with these guys, any one of their last three records are gonna do it for you. Beautiful album right here. 

13) Flaming Lips/Oczy Mlody

I've been digging the "new" Lips style on their last two efforts. Very open-ended ideas that leave plenty of room for the band to space out even more than they already do. I can see how this album or "The Terror" doesn't do much for some, but this is my shit right here.

12) Kid Koala featuring EmilĂ­ana Torrini - Music to Draw to: Satellite

Freakbeat turntablist Koala is back in a very non-traditional role as he provides ambient backdrops for Icelandic vocalist, Torrini. I remember catching an opening DJ set by Koala for Radiohead in '02 and it was a glitchy trip. You won't find any of that here. The title is literal. These ideas were spawned from open sessions where Koala would spin as attendees would draw and paint. It's a soothing listen and a cool direction for the vet.

11) Arcade Fire/Everything Now

A lot of people were straight heated when they first heard this. It's been getting dogged since its release, but I think it's great. A nice pickup from where "Reflektor" settles down with plenty of dance heavy tracks. The band isn't gonna churn out another "Funeral" any time soon and they're also at the point where they've got nothing to prove. But they did prove that they'll still knock your wig off with their live shows on this current tour. Super fun listen.

10) Apollo Brown and Planet Asia/Anchovies

Dusty samples and street poetry meld together here on this hard edged hip-hop matchup. Brown brings his production skills, but brings barely any real beats. Not a problem for Asia, who still sounds as fresh as he did 20 years ago. In a year where hip-hop was dominated by Kendrick Lamar, it's great to hear some rap vets that still have a name to build.

09) Queens of the Stone Age/Villains

When they're not kicking photographers in the face, QOTSA are rocking really fucking hard. Not sure why it took me so long to give them a chance, but they're still elevating their game. I'm loving the lo-fi production here and drum mix in particular. This record was my biggest surprise of '17.

08) Elbow/Little Fictions

After a rather downbeat record with 2014's "The Take Off..." and Guy Garvey's first solo record (awesome, btw), the mega English band come correct with anthem heavy tunes that helped shaped them early on and establish their foundation. The band sounds as fresh as they've ever sounded and the production is the tops. This is a great starting point if you're curious about Elbow.

07) Karl Blau/Out Her Space

Quick turnaround after last year's "Introducing" (which cracked my Top 3 of the year), Blau returns with another killer release. Loose Psych is pretty much the underlying theme to these tracks with helping hands Matthew E. White and Phil Cook making sure he stays the course. Dude has been at this for 20+ years and he's just warming up.

06) The War On Drugs/A Deeper Understanding

One of the year's most anticipated LPs and it delivers a million times over. The evolution of Drugs has been ever so slight with each album, but immense at the same time. They continue to evolve here as each track takes the long way home and makes you forget exactly where it was you were going anyway. Honestly, this took a few spins to finally start working with me, but it's a classic.

05) Hurray for the Riff Raff/The Navigator

This NOLA outfit has been around for almost a dozen years, but this LP is helping spread the word of Alynda and her unique fusion of folk and rock. This one is beautiful from start-to-finish incorporating approximately one zillion different musical styles along the journey. As seasoned as they are, I feel like they're just hitting their stride.

04) L'Orange/The Ordinary Man

When not collaborating with Kool Keith or MC Mr. Lif, L'Orange is busy with his own thing. Here's his third full release which does have some guest spots (most notably Del the Funky Homosapien) and an underlying "magician's" theme throughout. I like my hip hop rough around the edges and this LP from L'O is doing the trick.

03) Alvvays/Antisocialites

The fantastic sophomore release from the Toronto outfit is just as catchy as their first was. However, the band has shown a nice dose of maturity and growth with this follow up, both lyrically and structurally. If you like female fronted pop tunes that make you wanna bob your head all fastlike, this is your jam.

02) Dan Auerbach/Waiting On a Song

The Black Keys frontdude returns with his second solo effort and takes a fun and slightly unexpected direction over the course of this quick listen. Breezy Pop that played a million times over the Summer through my ears has proven that it holds up well with the seasons. This is a sharp turn from his debut, but he pulls off the Pop genre like a seasoned vet. This record easily saw the most amount of spins during 2017.

01) King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard with Mild High Club/Sketches of Brunswick East

The Gizz! The Lizz! The Wizzzz! After promising five LPs in 2017, the Aussie outfit's fourth (still time for one more!) quickly became my favorite of the batch. It's so different from their usual sound with more Jazz influence and tons of psychedelia. Most importantly, the album is a complete thought. A true front-to-back release with plenty of winding turns. Looking forward to the fifty albums they have planned for 2018. In the meantime, catch the band when they come through town if you like your face pan seared.

Honorable Mentions:

Iron & Wine - Beast Epic
The Big Moon - Love In the 4th Dimension
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanalan
SHEER MAG - Need to Feel Your Love
Wolf Alice - Visions of a Life

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Right on, I'll have to check that L'Orange and KK/ET. 

Nice list, but you really liked AF better than LCD?  Mind = bl0wn