News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP John Barlow

Started by runawayjimbo, February 07, 2018, 06:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

Damn, another one of the good guys gone. RIP

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/02/john-perry-barlow-internet-pioneer-1947-2018

John Perry Barlow, Internet Pioneer, 1947-2018

With a broken heart I have to announce that EFF's founder, visionary, and our ongoing inspiration, John Perry Barlow, passed away quietly in his sleep this morning. We will miss Barlow and his wisdom for decades to come, and he will always be an integral part of EFF.

It is no exaggeration to say that major parts of the Internet we all know and love today exist and thrive because of Barlow's vision and leadership. He always saw the Internet as a fundamental place of freedom, where voices long silenced can find an audience and people can connect with others regardless of physical distance.

Barlow was sometimes held up as a straw man for a kind of naive techno-utopianism that believed that the Internet could solve all of humanity's problems without causing any more. As someone who spent the past 27 years working with him at EFF, I can say that nothing could be further from the truth. Barlow knew that new technology could create and empower evil as much as it could create and empower good. He made a conscious decision to focus on the latter: "I knew it's also true that a good way to invent the future is to predict it. So I predicted Utopia, hoping to give Liberty a running start before the laws of Moore and Metcalfe delivered up what Ed Snowden now correctly calls 'turn-key totalitarianism.'"

Barlow's lasting legacy is that he devoted his life to making the Internet into "a world that all may enter without privilege or prejudice accorded by race, economic power, military force, or station of birth . . . a world where anyone, anywhere may express his or her beliefs, no matter how singular, without fear of being coerced into silence or conformity."

In the days and weeks to come, we will be talking and writing more about what an extraordinary role Barlow played for the Internet and the world. And as always, we will continue the work to fulfill his dream.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Hicks

Shit, awful news. 

Will be rocking some  :syf: tonight in his honor. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Wow, I had no idea he was involved in the EFF.

The lyrics to Cassidy are among my favorite of all time.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

So sad.  :cry: RIP

My boss and I were just talking about his lyrics yesterday after he asked me if Eric Clapton wrote 'Let It Grow' and I responded with "Nope, That was John Perry Barlow. Unless you meant the Clapton song, then yes."
He was quite a wordsmith and will be missed.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

QuoteFare thee well now, let your life proceed by it's own design.
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

RIP
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

pcr3

Quote from: VDB on February 07, 2018, 07:01:24 PM
Wow, I had no idea he was involved in the EFF.

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 07, 2018, 09:01:48 PM
QuoteFare thee well now, let your life proceed by it's own design.
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

RIP

This sucks. Happy to say that I got to meet him. He was both larger than life and just another guy.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sls.stormyrider

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

To paraphrase something I wrote of him yesterday: Barlow was a poet who told tales of giants and of real men while living a life that proved him to be both.
His passing will be felt for some time in the internets but his fingerprints will remain as well.

Superfreakie

Winter rain, now tell me why, summers fade, and roses die.
The answer came; the wind and rain.
Golden hills, now veiled in grey, summer leaves have blown away
Now what remains? The wind and rain...... :syf:
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

susep

Quote from: VDB on February 07, 2018, 07:01:24 PM

Flight of the seabirds
Scattered like lost words,
Wield to the storm and fly.

RIP  :syf: